Sponsored by:

Stereo instalation-While I'm there possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 02:45 PM
Makoto0406
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ssherman68
Nice. I wanted speed sensitive volume too. I searched the manual for my model and couldn't find any mention of it & there is no setting for it in the 4660NEX.

From what I saw, it looked like you need to remove the console around the shifter and tap into the reverse wire there. That being the case, I decided to worry about it when I install a backup camera (if I get around to it).

I hope your installation went well. I just got mine buttoned up for the final time yesterday. I originally installed a flush mount USB cable in place of the lighter. I had to use a ASB-C to A adapter for that and it broke when I put the stereo back in. I realized an adapter would always be a weak point & couldn't find a flush mount with USB C so I installed the non smoker power port in the lighter hole & ran the USB cable through the cubby yesterday. Hopefully I'm done now!
havent started yet. Waiting on my USB port mount which should be here tomorrow. I’m thinking of replacing the cowling under the wipers if I mount the gps there. Mine is more white/gray than black.

ive got a backup camera. I’m researching the best route to run the cord. I’ll let you know how that goes.

M
Old 08-23-2020, 03:23 PM
ssherman68
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

Have you seen this installation article for the backup camera?

https://cai-store.com/pages/911-back...ation-overview
The following users liked this post:
Makoto0406 (08-23-2020)
Old 08-23-2020, 04:39 PM
Makoto0406
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssherman68
Have you seen this installation article for the backup camera?

https://cai-store.com/pages/911-back...ation-overview
Thanks. That’s a nice little review

p
Old 08-26-2020, 03:16 PM
Makoto0406
Instructor

So I was showing my son how solder the harness and get the panels off just for fun, but then I just ended up installing everything. Since it was late I didn't do anything else while I was there LOL.

All in all it was pretty straightforward. Took me 3 hours. My trim kit was a very tight fit in the horseshoe. Apparently my dremmel disappeared in my recent move so I had to redneck my USB connector in the compartment, but it came out OK. My only other advise is if you have the PCM with the nav CD you need to remove some small covers from the side of the CD player and insert a rod in each of the four holes and the player will slide right out. I just dumped my GPS sensor in the area where the glove box would be in a MKII. Seems to work fine. I placed the mic on the steering wheel mostly because its easier to bend down and yell at something than look up. Test calls have been loud and clear per the wifey

I'm going to need to go back in and tap the speed sensor and reverse wire once I run the backup camera (that should be next week). The previous owner had wired up something custom so there was some extra stuff back there that I wasn't sure what to do with (wires running toward the frunk. I'm going to guess Radar detector). I may trace it back and get rid of it. If I'm lucky maybe I can use his wire to fish something else (anybody done a front camera?)

Here are the obligatory pictures

Wireless charging pad. line up the phone with the left wall and its just right

Not the nicest looking but it works

I love the wireless android auto. I don't think I could ever go back. The sound is a vast improvement especially with the top down at speed. Waze is nice as well.

Special shout out Jim010. I totally stole his idea for the logo in the middle of the faceplate. I love it. Really ties the room together

Quick Reply: Stereo instalation-While I'm there possibilities