996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 C4 electronic gremlins (99 model)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 07:39 PM
fguignard
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 996 C4 electronic gremlins (99 model)

Hi,
I have a 99 996 C4 which recently developed serious electric problems. During the week, while driving the PMS Off and ABS Off buttons would show up on the dash (I noticed that once these light would be on, only the driver's side high beam would come on). Now, this is gone but something else came up: the brake lights are on permanently.
A little history on what has happened to the car in the past month:
Three weeks ago I replaced the LCD screen on the climate control panel. I drove the car for two weeks after that and everything was fine. The display works beautifully and no lights on the dash.
About two weeks ago as we were pounded by Esaias we lost power and consequently the sump pump in our basement stopped working which meant that we were rapidly getting flooded (we have a late 40s cape Cod with the garage under the house and that were the 996 is kept). The battery on the generator was dead and the recoil pulley broke. The nearest thing to jump start the generator was the 996 so that's what I did (a couple of times).
The crazy electrical gremlins started happening after that.
I checked the connections behind the climate control unit and everything is fine.
Anyone has the slightest idea what is happening?
Any help is truly appreciated
Old 08-25-2020, 07:22 AM
fguignard
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Update: it's simply the brake light switch. A $25 part. Pain in back (literally) to change but better than taking it to the dealer.
Failure of the switch will create all sorts of issues with the electronics.

Quick Reply: 996 C4 electronic gremlins (99 model)