First Track Day - Me and the Car - Thompson Speedway

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 12:04 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,295 Likes on 1,813 Posts
Default UPDATE First Track Day - Me and the Car - Thompson Speedway

***2nd Track Day Update Post 34***

I had my first track day and like many others, had an awesome experience. So much to learn, operating the car in a whole new envelope than on the street - Just an awesome experience and I am hooked.

I put the car together with a lot of parts that would be suitable for the track, mainly cause I like tinkering and they also make the car more capable and enjoyable on the street...well, most do and some... I like to tinker.

Ohlins coilovers, corner balanced and alignment by a race shop, a bunch of weight removal, car weighed 3K before I took another 25-30LBS out and good Pilot Sport 4S are probably the important bits with regards to track performance. Car also has bucket seats, OMP steering wheel and a 6 point harness. LN deep sump and SOFA and muffler deletes are only motor changes, muffler deletes for weight and sound and the LN stuff for reliability. Ran XP9 oil.

I will need to really improve as a driver to get the most out of the performance mods, right now I just know they feel like a great foundation for me to build my skills on. The interior stuff - It provided a distraction free driving environment, I was comfortable, did not move around and did not think at any point about anything in the car other than gauges.

It was 85 degrees and the car stayed cool, like a tick hotter than on the street and was rock solid. Oil pressure never dipped and the car felt rev happy and eager, just a blast.

For the experienced, would love feedback, but limit to the 2 things you think I should focus on. I want to go back out for my next one in a couple weeks with just a short list of things to focus on before expanding. The experience is still so new, keeping a plan was tough for me with the excitement, adrenaline and nerves all turned up to 11.

Video below of my best 2 laps, 1:34's and some pictures from the track photographer.

I have wanted to do this for so long, feels so good to have the first one behind me where everyone/thing came out in one piece and the car treated me so well.

If you want to see more vids on the car, throw me a sub to my youtube channel. Been trying to post relatively frequently and its all 996 content.

Last edited by zbomb; 08-01-2020 at 02:47 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by zbomb:
Billup (08-01-2020), kwright997 (07-18-2020), paddlefoot64 (07-18-2020), Ratchet1025 (07-18-2020), zaubersonne (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 08:54 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 796 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
I had my first track day and like many others, had an awesome experience. So much to learn, operating the car in a whole new envelope than on the street - Just an awesome experience and I am hooked.

I put the car together with a lot of parts that would be suitable for the track, mainly cause I like tinkering and they also make the car more capable and enjoyable on the street...well, most do and some... I like to tinker.

Ohlins coilovers, corner balanced and alignment by a race shop, a bunch of weight removal, car weighed 3K before I took another 25-30LBS out and good Pilot Sport 4S are probably the important bits with regards to track performance. Car also has bucket seats, OMP steering wheel and a 6 point harness. LN deep sump and SOFA and muffler deletes are only motor changes, muffler deletes for weight and sound and the LN stuff for reliability. Ran XP9 oil.

I will need to really improve as a driver to get the most out of the performance mods, right now I just know they feel like a great foundation for me to build my skills on. The interior stuff - It provided a distraction free driving environment, I was comfortable, did not move around and did not think at any point about anything in the car other than gauges.

It was 85 degrees and the car stayed cool, like a tick hotter than on the street and was rock solid. Oil pressure never dipped and the car felt rev happy and eager, just a blast.

For the experienced, would love feedback, but limit to the 2 things you think I should focus on. I want to go back out for my next one in a couple weeks with just a short list of things to focus on before expanding. The experience is still so new, keeping a plan was tough for me with the excitement, adrenaline and nerves all turned up to 11.

Video below of my best 2 laps, 1:34's and some pictures from the track photographer.

I have wanted to do this for so long, feels so good to have the first one behind me where everyone/thing came out in one piece and the car treated me so well.

If you want to see more vids on the car, throw me a sub to my youtube channel. Been trying to post relatively frequently and its all 996 content.
Good for you! I'm glad you enjoyed the track day. I have no suggestions just glad to see you didn't go out there and beat the crap out of the car yet still had a good time!

Drive on!
The following 2 users liked this post by wildbilly32:
larry.beck (08-30-2020), zbomb (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 09:42 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

”I had my first track day and like many others, had an awesome experience. So much to learn, operating the car in a whole new envelope than on the street - Just an awesome experience and I am hooked“. <—This! Nice post and great pics, headed over to YT now for a view.
The following users liked this post:
larry.beck (08-30-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 09:59 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

My advice (and I am by no means an expert), this is what I do (these are ideal):
*Get a good track map (I use Motorsportsmaps dot com)
*Watch your video, write down the current reference points (apex, braking, on throttle, trees, track changes, etc., anything you can)
*Get some way to take data (I use track addict pro on phone), write down Entry/exit speeds at key points of the track
then....
*Ideal 1: get an instructor to drive your car , compare all of the above items and look for improvement areas
*Ideal 2: Find you tube videos of similar cars on the same track (faster than you, but not race cars), hopefully with data, compare and take notes
then...
*When you go back to that track, focus on 2 to 3 of the faster turns and progressively work up to those targets
Rinse and repeat 🤙
The following 2 users liked this post by Ratchet1025:
larry.beck (08-30-2020), zbomb (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 10:01 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
My advice (and I am by no means an expert), this is what I do (these are ideal):
*Get a good track map (I use Motorsportsmaps dot com)
*Watch your video, write down the current reference points (apex, braking, on throttle, trees, track changes, etc., anything you can)
*Get some way to take data (I use track addict pro on phone), write down Entry/exit speeds at key points of the track
then....
*Ideal 1: get an instructor to drive your car , compare all of the above items and look for improvement areas
*Ideal 2: Find you tube videos of similar cars on the same track (faster than you, but not race cars), hopefully with data, compare and take notes
then...
*When you go back to that track, focus on 2 to 3 of the faster turns and progressively work up to those targets
Rinse and repeat 🤙

Nice Dude, thanks for the input...
Ratchet1025 (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 10:56 AM
Jnelso
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

ZBOMB,

We spoke briefly at Thompson last week, so glad to have another 996 owner running at Track Nights. Great on track video, I am sure your learning curve will improve quickly. I wont be at Thompson this month, my next event will be at New Hampshire Speedway August 6. I know its a long drive for you but hope you can make it there, if not probably be at the next Thompson event.

Regarding lap times, I use Harry’s Lap Timer which you can upload on you phone. It works pretty well. Look forward to seeing you and your 996 again.
zbomb (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 11:03 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,890 Likes on 1,202 Posts

Nice! I'll be out at Thompson on Monday... with the Corrado not the 911. I love that track. Five hairpins followed by a dragstrip. It looks easy. It's harder than it looks. If you see someone at Thompson (or Palmer or Lime Rock) with either a red Corrado or a blue 996 Turbo say hi.
I might even be there on July 30th, August 15th, August 17th, September 1st, September 29th....
Old 07-18-2020, 11:12 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jnelso
ZBOMB,

We spoke briefly at Thompson last week, so glad to have another 996 owner running at Track Nights. Great on track video, I am sure your learning curve will improve quickly. I wont be at Thompson this month, my next event will be at New Hampshire Speedway August 6. I know its a long drive for you but hope you can make it there, if not probably be at the next Thompson event.

Regarding lap times, I use Harry’s Lap Timer which you can upload on you phone. It works pretty well. Look forward to seeing you and your 996 again.
It was great meeting you, look forward to the next occasion ! Not sure about the trip to NH but will definitely be at Thompson and maybe Palmer. If you would be willing to share any of your data, I would love to take a look before the next event and see how far off I am, I question some of my gear selection among other things and would be interested in comparing with someone with experience. Feel free to shoot me a PM

Originally Posted by theprf
Nice! I'll be out at Thompson on Monday... with the Corrado not the 911. I love that track. Five hairpins followed by a dragstrip. It looks easy. It's harder than it looks. If you see someone at Thompson (or Palmer or Lime Rock) with either a red Corrado or a blue 996 Turbo say hi.
I might even be there on July 30th, August 15th, August 17th, September 1st, September 29th....
I will be there the 30th and then at least 2 of the next 4 SCCA Tracknights. Will keep an eye out - you do the same !
Old 07-18-2020, 11:33 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,480 Likes on 1,833 Posts

Did u have to play follow the leader since u were a novice? I got my first track day in march but have been hesitant to spend the money without in car instruction. If it was follow the leader did u find the education aspect was worth it?
Old 07-18-2020, 11:37 AM
theprf
Race Car

I will be there the 30th and then at least 2 of the next 4 SCCA Tracknights. Will keep an eye out - you do the same !
Will do.
If you get a chance to run Palmer you really should. It's more challenging, and to me a lot more fun. I've been there twice this year and I'll be there a few more days.

I use an app called TrackAddict, which I prefer to Harry's. And it's free. I got a 10Hz bluetooth GPS and a bluetooth OBD2 reader (those were not free). The 10Hz GPS is essentially a requirement to get good resolution.
Ratchet1025 (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 01:53 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Will do.
If you get a chance to run Palmer you really should. It's more challenging, and to me a lot more fun. I've been there twice this year and I'll be there a few more days.

I use an app called TrackAddict, which I prefer to Harry's. And it's free. I got a 10Hz bluetooth GPS and a bluetooth OBD2 reader (those were not free). The 10Hz GPS is essentially a requirement to get good resolution.
Can I ask which GPS? I am 👀 ing for a good one...
Old 07-18-2020, 02:16 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Did u have to play follow the leader since u were a novice? I got my first track day in march but have been hesitant to spend the money without in car instruction. If it was follow the leader did u find the education aspect was worth it?
The SCCA track night is pretty loose. Novice takes paced laps, along with most of the other classes for a session then goes in for a briefing on passing zones and flags.

The next session and all follow on are pass with point by. No instructors and no follow the leader. It was awesome ! I would like to run another couple and then get an instructor in the car with a more structured event.

Briefings after each session for novice drivers.

Its very affordable at $170 non member $160 member - I would highly suggest for the seat time.

Will do.

Noted, I'm in Douglas, you ever go out on street drives with either the corrode or 911 ?
Old 07-18-2020, 02:46 PM
theprf
Race Car

I'm in Marlborough. I have 4 Corrados and use them in rotation as my daily driver, with the 911 for weekends. So I do take them all out regularly.

For the 10Hz GPS I bought a Qstarz 818XT which works well. It was recommended by the Track Addict developers.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:47 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice -- looks like you were gaining pretty handsomely on the folks in front of you!
zbomb (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 02:51 PM
zbomb
Race Car

I'm in Marlborough. I have 4 Corrados and use them in rotation as my daily driver, with the 911 for weekends. So I do take them all out regularly.

For the 10Hz GPS I bought a Qstarz 818XT which works well. It was recommended by the Track Addict developers.
Nice, I grew up in Sudbury and know the area well. Stephen Anthony’s breakfast best you’ll find...

Quick Reply: First Track Day - Me and the Car - Thompson Speedway