996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic shift lock

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004 | 10:22 PM
WCE
User

Question Tiptronic shift lock

Anyone know how to disable the brake - shift interlock?

This mandatory feature is a PITA for those of us who know the difference between the brake and the gas pedals. And Porsche had to implement the interlock for the neutral to drive shift also, go figure!
Old 03-13-2004 | 10:53 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

I am surprised this bothers you so much. All cars have it now, and it takes nothing to get used to.
Old 03-13-2004 | 11:27 PM
Keyvan
Racer

I love that feature...it's just nice to know that my passanger can't accidently pop my trans into rev. while doing 70 on the highway.

One really annoying thing that happans on tips is when the passanger knocks it from M to D. This happens espically when sombody is sitting in the back because the seat is far forward.

In D you always go to 5th gear if your doing over 30 so when I down shift to accelerate at a critical moment I go from 5th to 4th instead of 2nd and I have NO power and because when you hit the tip buttons in goes back into M momentarly while your waiting for the tip to go into the right gear but it won't cause now your in M after you realized that you where in D...Get it?

Last edited by Keyvan; 03-13-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2004 | 03:30 PM
redcab
Racer

Keyvan -

Interesting problem for you....here in the US, the passenger would be knocking from D to M which is never unpleasant!
Old 03-15-2004 | 11:35 PM
Keyvan
Racer

Yeah that's not the only design falw there is for right hand drive cars, when sitting in my seat i can't see the corner of the PCM screen and all the important buttons are on the opposite side of the driver. I was thinking to myself why they would do that and then realized the PCM unit is the same for left hand drive cars....
Old 04-26-2004 | 06:38 PM
WCE
User

I'm reviving my old post because I think everyone who posted missed my point, and I have a solution:

Pop off the shift **** and covers. The lockout solenoid is in the front of the mechanism (watch what happens when the brake is pressed or not pressed). Clip the wire(s) to the solenoid!

Shift lever now operates much smoother, moves from D to N and back without brake application, shift **** lever still provides P-R-N lockouts - enjoy!

Quick Reply: Tiptronic shift lock