PPI Myrtle Beach

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 04:09 PM
Makoto0406
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts
Default PPI Myrtle Beach

Hello,

Looking at joining team 996. There is a local car on sale that interests me (correct color, 60k miles, reportedly good service records, reasonable price). I will be looking at the car on Sunday.This would be my first Porsche. So I’ve done my due diligence (I hope) and the PPI seems mandatory. Does anybody have any experience with or know of a reputable mechanic in Myrtle Beach SC. The two that I am aware of are Autohaus and Europro. They have similar google ratings. Both will run the DME, I am uncertain if a oil analysis is included with either.

Also anything I should be on the lookout for specifically. The car is a 2000 C4 cabriolet. Based on my research and assuming I can’t get it on a rack I should pay special attention to the radiators and make sure no oil is in the coolant reservoir.

The rest is pretty much like any other used car. Look for overall fit and finish, paint matching for signs of an accident, leaky fluids (particularly the RMS and oil reservoir) Listen for odd noises on the drive especially over bumps. Test out the top. Make sure the clutch isn’t heavy as we are getting close to clutch end of life mileage. Check a Carfax. Take a picture of the options sticker to decode later (hopefully his records will include this). Make sure the electronics all work. Squeeze the hoses and kick the tires

What am I missing?

thanks in advance

M
Old 07-09-2020, 09:57 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

There are lots more things to check, but I'll let the experts chime in. Look at the driver's door jam for the sticker which will tell you the build date. An early build date will greatly reduce the chance of a Y2K cracked head problem and will ensure a double-row IMS bearing. See if the IMSB has been upgraded. They should drop the oil pan to check for debris and do a bottom up and top down boroscoping to check for bore scoring. An oil analysis is not necessarily significant, especially if it has just been changed.

As a side note, I didn't do any of those things and jumped in blind, but lucked out. I wouldn't recommend that.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:35 PM
Makoto0406
Instructor

Thanks. What range of build date should I be looking for

p
Old 07-10-2020, 10:42 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

I'm not saying to avoid any build dates, just that it will give you more information.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Makoto0406
Instructor

Got it
Old 07-18-2020, 04:55 PM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

so did you get it? I'm Myrtle Beach local, and I as well just "jumped right in" and have been lucky since 2/2018. I've been all over the car since then though and have learned plenty. Please reach out if you need a hand, or if you did get it and just want to Get Out and Drive
Jeff
99 C2
Old 07-18-2020, 11:12 PM
Makoto0406
Instructor

Originally Posted by Projekt EPiK
so did you get it? I'm Myrtle Beach local, and I as well just "jumped right in" and have been lucky since 2/2018. I've been all over the car since then though and have learned plenty. Please reach out if you need a hand, or if you did get it and just want to Get Out and Drive
Jeff
99 C2
I'm getting the PPI this WED. Waiting to see the results of that. thanks for the offer. If all goes as planned I'll definitely drop you a PM.

P
The following users liked this post:
Projekt EPiK (07-21-2020)

Quick Reply: PPI Myrtle Beach