Sponsored by:

996 CAB Clunk sound.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 03:27 AM
usofstance
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 CAB Clunk sound.

Here's the story, I had the transmission rebuilt because the previous owner had issues with the transmission. So while I was getting the tranny done, I changed out the stock clutch to the sacs kit along with a luk dual mass flywheel. While i was in there, i changed the bolts on the flywheel and locktited them. Anyways, I reinstalled everything. When I release the clutch i am hearing a clunking sounds as if something is rubbing against the heat shield. The weird thing, once i go over 15mph the noise disappears completely. Say i start in 2nd gear i won't even hear that noise, which is weird. So I really don't know what the issue can be since everything is new? Could this be an axle issue? Some are sayings it clutch shatter but its not a lightweight fly wheel... I attached the video below if you guys can help me out that would be nice.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:52 AM
bnegaard
3rd Gear

Default Dual Mass

Did you install a used Dual Mass? When they go bad they start sounding like a marble in a can usually at low speed starting when you push in the clutch.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:03 AM
usofstance
Rennlist Member

Hey everything is new! Only 15miles.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:45 AM
bnegaard
3rd Gear

Default Clutch Noise

Does it make any noise while idling or difficulty engaging the clutch? Like the clutch is binding?
Old 07-06-2020, 10:00 AM
usofstance
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bnegaard
Does it make any noise while idling or difficulty engaging the clutch? Like the clutch is binding?
Normal noise, I think i found the problem. I did not use brake cleaner on the flywheel and pressure plate to remove the oe grease.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:11 AM
bnegaard
3rd Gear

Default Clutch

You would definitely have some slipping and maybe some chatter. If its a light coat it should go away fairly quickly. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2020, 10:22 AM
usofstance
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bnegaard
You would definitely have some slipping and maybe some chatter. If its a light coat it should go away fairly quickly. Good luck!

Yeah thats what it is, I hope so. it's just annoying that i have to remove the tranny again.

Quick Reply: 996 CAB Clunk sound.