Sponsored by:

fast turn signal; bad connection at headlight unit connector

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 07:55 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default fast turn signal; bad connection at headlight unit connector

So, I have the well-documented intermittent fast turn signal problem. I've read many, many posts on the subject. I'm convinced my problem is not at the bulb/bulb socket, because when I apply a bit of pressure to the unit as a whole, it starts working again.

The female connector (that remains inside the bumper) wiggles a bit. I don't know if that's normal or not, but nothing appears to be broken.

So, I need to improve the connection between the male pins on the unit and the female socket in the headlight tray. I've sprayed electrical cleaner in there, which has not permanently fixed the problem.

How exactly do I bend the male pins to improve connectivity? Thanks!
Old 07-03-2020, 09:03 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Very carefully!
Old 07-15-2020, 05:29 PM
hotchalupa
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Whoa...I was just searching around to see if I could find an answer to my problem and lo and behold... I think this is my very issue.

Took the car out for a half hour spin today... Halfway through as I was getting ready to switch lanes on the freeway, my left signal did the hyper-blink thing... So I thought, great a bulb is out. Once I parked back home I did some troubleshooting and went to the first suspect, the very recently installed OEM clear side marker lights. I popped the driver side and pulled the bulb out...Nope, bulb looks good...still getting no blinky action..so I thought maybe the connectors on it... I checked and they were tight as can be and clear of any corrosion.

I then noticed the headlamp's turn signal wasn't working, either. So now I began to think...wiring issue. So, I guess my question is... Do the fronts share/terminate on the same spot? If I'm having the same issue as @mrfeh , would that affect the marker light for that side, also?
Old 07-15-2020, 06:22 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

I found mine (Pass Turn signal) 996.2 had lost contact when I twisted the connector holding bulb had a little corrosion on the contact point, The wiring/connector if not mistaken should be floating to align when the Light module is placed into fender.

The Turn signal bulb rests in a small housing that when placed in socket and turn, makes electrical contact. Small white corrosion enough to make it appear build was out.

Comes back if don't do good job cleaning it up.

Mike

Old 07-15-2020, 07:08 PM
hotchalupa
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike Mullins
I found mine (Pass Turn signal) 996.2 had lost contact when I twisted the connector holding bulb had a little corrosion on the contact point, The wiring/connector if not mistaken should be floating to align when the Light module is placed into fender.

The Turn signal bulb rests in a small housing that when placed in socket and turn, makes electrical contact. Small white corrosion enough to make it appear build was out.

Comes back if don't do good job cleaning it up.

Mike
Hey Mike, I assume you're talking about the headlight assembly and not the side marker light. When the headlight assembly bulb wasn't making good contact, did it make the side marker light go out until the contact was sorted? Wonder if these are in series on the harness, which would I explain why both of mine stopped working at the same time (and I have confirmed the side marker light bulb and connection are fine).

Thanks!
Eddie
Old 07-16-2020, 10:02 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts

yes, Turn signal in the headlight assembly and can play havoc w Side marker
The following users liked this post:
hotchalupa (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:19 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hotchalupa
Whoa...I was just searching around to see if I could find an answer to my problem and lo and behold... I think this is my very issue.

Took the car out for a half hour spin today... Halfway through as I was getting ready to switch lanes on the freeway, my left signal did the hyper-blink thing... So I thought, great a bulb is out. Once I parked back home I did some troubleshooting and went to the first suspect, the very recently installed OEM clear side marker lights. I popped the driver side and pulled the bulb out...Nope, bulb looks good...still getting no blinky action..so I thought maybe the connectors on it... I checked and they were tight as can be and clear of any corrosion.

I then noticed the headlamp's turn signal wasn't working, either. So now I began to think...wiring issue. So, I guess my question is... Do the fronts share/terminate on the same spot? If I'm having the same issue as @mrfeh , would that affect the marker light for that side, also?
From all the posts I've read on this subject, the cause seems to be 1 of 2 things (excluding a bad bulb):
  1. the connector for the entire head light unit
  2. the connector for the bulb within the unit
You won't know which it is without some inspection/experimentation.
The following users liked this post:
hotchalupa (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 02:01 PM
hotchalupa
Advanced

Originally Posted by mrfeh
From all the posts I've read on this subject, the cause seems to be 1 of 2 things (excluding a bad bulb):
  1. the connector for the entire head light unit
  2. the connector for the bulb within the unit
You won't know which it is without some inspection/experimentation.
Will be inspecting today. Thanks for your insight on this!
Old 07-19-2020, 05:24 PM
hotchalupa
Advanced

No luck for me. Although, I'm a dummy and realized that the side markers don't actually blink with the turn signals, so scratch anything I previously mentioned revolving around those.

I inspected the turn signal bulb and inner/outer contacts and they were perfect. No corrosion, not bent in unnatural ways... Although, it's pretty much impossible to test for proper contact without destroying the headlight (remove the clear cover), so I had to rely on visual inspection, as well as the general "friction" feel when twisting the bulb back into the assembly.

I checked the harness connector with a flashlight... Again, all pins looked good and didn't seem "stretched out" or bent in any way. However, after identifying the one for the signal (lower-left corner pin at the harness when looking at it directly), I was able to confirm it is receiving proper voltage when the signal is on. My multimeter would flick fast when the signal was set to left and at a normal pace when I had the hazards on. I used a very fine metal tool to put a bit of pressure on the upper and lower contacts to make sure they were creating a tight connection.

I then sprayed some anti-corrosion solution very carefully into all pins, as well as the contacts at the headlight assembly connector and cleaned everything up.

I removed and reseated the headlight assembly multiple times (carefully) just to be certain and tested both in the "unlocked" and "locked" positions, and even tried carefully putting pressure on different spots while in the unlocked position to see if I'd get any amber bulb action...

The final thing I did was remove the xenon ballast unit and inspect the wiring from the connector. At least from the connector end everything seemed fine. Also, everything looked very clean and no signs of either corrosion or water/washer fluid intrusion.

Nothing worked. Basically, I have no front driver-side signal and I'm stumped.

The last thing to do would be to take the assembly apart further (as much as it is possible without having to hack it up) and see if there are any loose wires at the bulb-connector end. You can sort of see in there at the signal bulb opening and all wires looked to be intact and making proper contact.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:06 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,412 Likes on 1,785 Posts

U need to get a multimeter and test the pins. U should be able the read 12v if u r getting power to the headlight assembly. Also make sure the ground is good.

pin A1-bk/gn is power for turn signal from the flasher relay
pin A2-gy/rd is power for side marker from fuse a6
pin A6-bn is ground for both

Wire codes r for a 2002 harness but dont think the pins ever changed
Old 07-20-2020, 12:09 AM
hotchalupa
Advanced

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
U need to get a multimeter and test the pins. U should be able the read 12v if u r getting power to the headlight assembly. Also make sure the ground is good.

pin A1-bk/gn is power for turn signal from the flasher relay
pin A2-gy/rd is power for side marker from fuse a6
pin A6-bn is ground for both

Wire codes r for a 2002 harness but dont think the pins ever changed
I did, and all looked good at the harness connector. The issue ended up being the side spring terminal inside the opening at headlight assembly where the bulb plug housing twists into. I made a video that I'll be posting on YouTube tonight in case it is helpful to anyone else. I was able to focus on that after reading a different old tread related to someone with a 996 Turbo on 6speedonline.

Thanks for your guidance on this!

Quick Reply: fast turn signal; bad connection at headlight unit connector