spare tire valve repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 06:51 PM
NOBLman
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spare tire valve repair

2001 996 C2

I checked the pressure on my spare yesterday. It was at 37 lbs. I filled it up to 60 lbs. I then washed the cover. About and hour later, I went to put the cover back on the wheel to re-store it in the frunk and found that the rubber portion where the valve seats into the wheel cracked and was leaking. The local tire store said they won't touch a donut spare. The local Porsche dealer tried to fix it but said it was unfixable. Does anybody have any experience with this? Seems a shame to toss a perfectly good tire and rim for want of a new valve!
Old 06-22-2020, 07:16 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLman
2001 996 C2

I checked the pressure on my spare yesterday. It was at 37 lbs. I filled it up to 60 lbs. I then washed the cover. About and hour later, I went to put the cover back on the wheel to re-store it in the frunk and found that the rubber portion where the valve seats into the wheel cracked and was leaking. The local tire store said they won't touch a donut spare. The local Porsche dealer tried to fix it but said it was unfixable. Does anybody have any experience with this? Seems a shame to toss a perfectly good tire and rim for want of a new valve!
If you can buy the right size valve, either pull out the original with needlenose pliers or cut off as much of it as you can, then shove the remainder into the tire/wheel,& install the new valve using some light lube. (WD40?)
This is why new valve stems should be installed with new tires.

Quick Reply: spare tire valve repair