Sponsored by:

KONI Special Active Struts

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 03:10 PM
Gregs04.5
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default KONI Special Active Struts

I did a search, and there WAS some talk about these, and a lot of interest. And there was some, but not much talk about how they "feel and handle".
So, I was wondering if anyone else had installed these, and if there was any more positive or negative feedback.

This weekend, my right front (presumably stock) strut started squeaking, and I've always felt a little more bounce when hitting a bump on that side, so time to go.
Also, has anyone installed these with lowering springs? I have Vogtland springs in there now, and like the stance, so I'd like to keep them in, unless there is an issue with the Konis.

Happy Fathers day, Greg.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:27 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregs04.5
I did a search, and there WAS some talk about these, and a lot of interest. And there was some, but not much talk about how they "feel and handle".
So, I was wondering if anyone else had installed these, and if there was any more positive or negative feedback.

This weekend, my right front (presumably stock) strut started squeaking, and I've always felt a little more bounce when hitting a bump on that side, so time to go.
Also, has anyone installed these with lowering springs? I have Vogtland springs in there now, and like the stance, so I'd like to keep them in, unless there is an issue with the Konis.

Happy Fathers day, Greg.
I too have had my eye on these and have also started to experience a front end squeak.

FWIW, I investigated by removing both front wheels only to find that all four rubber boots on the sway bar drop links were cracked and pulled away. Also, both rubber bushings on the front sway bar are hard as rocks.

I’ll soon be replacing those items before I go down the rabbit hole of shock replacement since mine aren’t showing signs of leakage. You might consider doing the same troubleshooting if you haven’t already.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:12 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,294 Posts

Squeaking can often be caused my failing ball joint in (coffin) control arms.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:38 PM
Gregs04.5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I have those on order as well, they are most likely 20 yrs old also.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:42 PM
Gregs04.5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
I too have had my eye on these and have also started to experience a front end squeak.

FWIW, I investigated by removing both front wheels only to find that all four rubber boots on the sway bar drop links were cracked and pulled away. Also, both rubber bushings on the front sway bar are hard as rocks.

I’ll soon be replacing those items before I go down the rabbit hole of shock replacement since mine aren’t showing signs of leakage. You might consider doing the same troubleshooting if you haven’t already.
I hadn't thought of the sway bar bushings, I'll measure mine and order those (just because they are old) end links looked ok, but I'll add them to my list.
The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (06-21-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 03:40 PM
wiggle_puppy
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
This is 100% correct from my experience. I had a control arm replaced last year on my 56k mile car after the squeaking became so pronounced that it sounded like I was driving a pirate ship. I replaced the other front control arm yesterday due to the same issue. The ball joint didn't have any noticeable play once I removed the arm from the car but it sure was noisy!

Quick Reply: KONI Special Active Struts