996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ask me Anything - I run a 3.2 engine in a 996 cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 04:12 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

I get really sh*tty mileage about of my 2000 C4 Cab which runs well and doesn't smoke or make any unusual noises but I only get about 14-15 miles/gallon, which is as bad as the FJ Cruiser that I use to own, and I don't really push the car that hard.

Of course, when I see the topic discussed, everyone seems to say they get 20+ mpg in their 996's.

I'm willing to live w/it, since I don't plan any long distance drives in my 996 and since "if you can afford it, you shouldn't have to ask the price" but if anyone has any suggestions to improve the MPG, I'm all ears.

BTW, I get 20+ mpg in my BMW 335i, 25+ in my MR2 Spyder and about 18-20 in my MB ML350 SUV. The only other vehicle of mine that gets such sh*tty mileage is my F250 Diesel, which also runs about 14-15 mpg.

Go figure! LOL!
Old 05-26-2020, 05:18 PM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 380 Posts

Interesting read. Glad you got to enjoy a 911 on a shoestring budget.

I've long wondered if used 3.4L engines will ever be "affordable"
Ie not 7k on eBay with 100k miles and zero service history.
I wonder if salvage yards just leave them on the shelf to rot instead of selling at a reasonable price.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:54 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I get 17.5 mpg.
Thats pre-COVID commute numbers. (Lots of stop and go traffic)
Lately I haven’t been dealing with stop and go traffic, so my normally 2.5-3 hour commute is now 1 hour.
I need to check my new mpg.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:17 PM
neilll
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

The MPGs don’t bother me much but I did think it was good to note. I am curious to see if the change to rwd and the stock air box and exhaust changes things. My COVID driving has been minimal so it may be a while until that gets clearer.

Garrett I agree wholeheartedly about the 3.4s with 100k miles- spending $7-8k on one of those doesn’t make sense to me. I gambled a bit on my 3.2 but there were some assurances and the gamble was half the cost. But everyone has a different risk tolerance and purpose with their car. I have to imagine the target market for those motors are people who want to replace a busted engine and walk away. Easier to sell a running 996 for $15,000 than a roller for $5,000 I would guess.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:16 PM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by neilll
The MPGs don’t bother me much but I did think it was good to note. I am curious to see if the change to rwd and the stock air box and exhaust changes things. My COVID driving has been minimal so it may be a while until that gets clearer.

Garrett I agree wholeheartedly about the 3.4s with 100k miles- spending $7-8k on one of those doesn’t make sense to me. I gambled a bit on my 3.2 but there were some assurances and the gamble was half the cost. But everyone has a different risk tolerance and purpose with their car. I have to imagine the target market for those motors are people who want to replace a busted engine and walk away. Easier to sell a running 996 for $15,000 than a roller for $5,000 I would guess.
I'm in a rare position where I could drop 7k on a new engine and still be into my C2 coupe for well under 20k but I don't think my situation is common
Old 05-30-2020, 05:41 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I also had the predicament of going for a 3.4 or used three boxster 3.2 but luckily I managed to get a 3.4 engine for £3k, it had 80k miles on it !
I stripped it down and probably spent £1500 on parts , I didn't go mad on upgrades I just upgraded the ims and did new chain guides and bearings etc so my engine was like a new factory engine or as close to as possible with an upgraded ims , but it depends what's wrong with your engine? You could source a 2.7 or 3.2 say if you need the crank then sell off the other bits, I was surprised at how much money I made back from my old engine , about £1800!! I sold the heads, half of the block, a few pistons etc!
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (05-30-2020)
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM
Marcocolombo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All

This topic has come up a few times and people seem to talk about it with hushed understanding - you get why someone would cut their losses and spring for 92% of the stock engine but you don’t really want to admit it. Well I’m here to tell you about how I did it and I’m pretty happy.

I got my 2001 Carrera 4 Cabriolet for next to nothing with a blown engine on a sign of goodwill from someone who wanted to see it driven and not stripped for parts; it had just over 125,000. At the time I was working in public service and this was literally the closest I ever imagined myself to living the 911 life. I Even at one point debated between a 2.7 and 3.2 but ultimately a 3.2 with a recent IMS replacement popped up on EBay and I took the plunge for about $3,000 shipped to my door. The engine cost was covered almost exactly by selling the 944 I was driving at the time.

At the time I was pretty set on saving up for a 3.4 after getting whatever engine I got.

After I got the engine i originally ran it with the Boxster intake, fuel lines, and non stock exhaust because I was nervous about having the bosses drilled on the 3.2 head to accept the 3.4 intake and fuel lines. This was a big mistake- I ended up having to alter a lot of stuff to accommodate the Boxster accessories and placement but it was one of those situations where once I realized how much easier(even if a little terrifying) drilling the holes would be it was too late. I got the car running about 4 months after receiving it working on it really occasionally. I had to fix a few things over the last three years but more or less, everything worked without too much drama.

I never tuned the ECU because it ran pretty consistently without triggering any CELs. I averaged around 16.5-17mpg which seemed a little low. But I also mostly drive in the city. The car was really peaky and revved fast up high. Another side effect of not drilling the head is that my exhaust was not fantastic(Boxster headers and first cats to an x pipe style muffler and then exit) it droned super bad around 2,500rpm. I put about 7,500 pretty happy miles on the car in that setup.

More recently I decided to drop the engine and drill the bosses in the head for the intake and exhaust hangers spurred in part by oil leaking from the AOS(pretty sure it was the line that connects now that I pulled it out). I actually just got back from my maiden voyage after doing this work(I also converted to RWD) and took it very easy because I had so much pulled apart and want to take it easy for a bit to listen and feel for loose bolts and such. I will give it a drive or two or three to figure out if it actually feels faster but the math says it should be with the larger intake and exhaust from the 3.4. I long ago sold the original mid pipes/cats from the car because they were coolant and oil soaked when the engine kaboomed for the original owner to a cat recycler. So my car is pretty much everything stock but with the DesignTek 200 cell cats.

So that’s the story of a guy who was too poor(at the time) for even the cheapest 911, making it work with a donor car and a 3.2. Now a days I’ve moved into more lucrative work but still not sure if I’ll end up with another 911. Most likely I will keep an on Caymans(yes, a blaspheme like me would even consider a 4 cylinder) so I have a coupe and a drop top. But first I’m putting my money to other good uses. One thing is almost certain, I am no longer considering the move to a 3.4 - I would consider doing a full on rebuild of an M96 with nikkies and larger pistons but there is no way I’d replace what I have with a stock 3.4; just not enough difference and anecdotally the 3.2 has less chance of failure.

If you have any questions, let me know. I’m sure the car is better with the 3.4 but I also know that it sucks how many people part their cars because they don’t have the money for a Rebuild and the cost/risk of a used 3.4 is high so they don’t know what else to do. So I wanted to tell my story so people consider the option of a 3.2. It’s not for everyone but it certainly works.
hello, I am having the same problem that you have encountered when you decided to swap the 3.2 into your 996. Mine is a 996 from 1999. And I would like to put in the 3.2 engine Boxster. Is there anyway that I can tap into your knowledge?
thank you very much
Marco
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcocolombo
hello, I am having the same problem that you have encountered when you decided to swap the 3.2 into your 996. Mine is a 996 from 1999. And I would like to put in the 3.2 engine Boxster. Is there anyway that I can tap into your knowledge?
thank you very much
Marco
It's been two years since he posted. What you wanna bet he's sold his car and moved on?
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
neilll
Rennlist Member

I didn’t sell it, I got hit by another car and it sat in a shop for 6 months and they couldn’t source the parts and the damage was right under 50% of value. I’m driving a new integra and waiting for the right time to get back into a 996(or Porsche). I was actually eyeing up another car with a blown engine 2 weeks ago.

But yes, without a Porsche I haven’t come around very often.

Marco, I accepted your friend request and am happy to help you navigate as best as I can remember. Realistically, if you’re willing to drill/thread those bosses(which I did at home with just a standard drill and tap with a basic drill guide) then it’s plug and play. One difference for your car I suppose is that you are potentially running a cable throttle and a different air meter- but as long as you carry over the hardware original to the car(not the new engine) you’re good.
The following users liked this post:
Marcocolombo (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,014 Posts

I didn’t sell it, I got hit by another car and it sat in a shop for 6 months and they couldn’t source the parts and the damage was right under 50% of value.

Ouch... sorry to hear that man! That sucks. But glad to hear you're safe and on the road again. I assume the car was deemed a total loss by the other driver's insurance? Did you come out ok true market value? If so, I guess I'm a little right in that in theory you sold it to the the at fault insurance agency.
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Marcocolombo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn’t sell it, I got hit by another car and it sat in a shop for 6 months and they couldn’t source the parts and the damage was right under 50% of value. I’m driving a new integra and waiting for the right time to get back into a 996(or Porsche). I was actually eyeing up another car with a blown engine 2 weeks ago.

But yes, without a Porsche I haven’t come around very often.

Marco, I accepted your friend request and am happy to help you navigate as best as I can remember. Realistically, if you’re willing to drill/thread those bosses(which I did at home with just a standard drill and tap with a basic drill guide) then it’s plug and play. One difference for your car I suppose is that you are potentially running a cable throttle and a different air meter- but as long as you carry over the hardware original to the car(not the new engine) you’re good.
thank you very much. I’m very new to this application. I’m not quite sure how to do the whole quote and stuff so excuse me if I am responding to the whole message. Lol

i’ll try to send you a message and whatever you remember, it’s fantastic and I will gladly listen
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM
neilll
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
Ouch... sorry to hear that man! That sucks. But glad to hear you're safe and on the road again. I assume the car was deemed a total loss by the other driver's insurance? Did you come out ok true market value? If so, I guess I'm a little right in that in theory you sold it to the the at fault insurance agency.
yeah, they bought it and I gave a pretty detailed email of what I did and why they should know my engine wasn’t original and they more or less shrugged their shoulders and cut a check at around full value. I felt bad knowing that the knowledge of the swap would get lost in the chain of sales between me, the insurer, the salvage auction(or wherever); but I kind of accepted I didn’t have control over how they handle it.

I miss the car so much.
Old Today, 12:00 AM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 332 Posts

Very cool thread but sorry to hear about the accident. Glad to hear you're ok & hope to see you in another car soon enough.

Quick Reply: Ask me Anything - I run a 3.2 engine in a 996 cabriolet