996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sachs Coilover Kit for the 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 03:22 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

I have a set of Sachs 2 way adjustable that came standard on the 996 cup car I picked up to part out.

If the set being offered here is anywhere near the quality of the cup car pieces, you will not be disappointed.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:05 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,466 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
So with the new promo, it knocked the price down from $2,907.00 to $2,616.30, a savings of $290.70. Also, the shipping lead time went down from 5-6 weeks to 2-3 weeks.
In spite of the email from FCP, I won't be a bit surprised if I get an email in the next seven days telling me they're still backordered.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:24 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,412 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Man i was looking foward to seeing these. I was planning to to buy ohlins this winter but was hoping to compare the sachs set up before purchasing.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:35 PM
FCP Euro
Former Vendor

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
Would you be interested in exploring another brand? We do have access to other coilover manufacturers.

Eric
Old 09-22-2020, 05:37 PM
FCP Euro
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Man i was looking foward to seeing these. I was planning to to buy ohlins this winter but was hoping to compare the sachs set up before purchasing.
We will be adding Ohlins coilovers to our catalog in the coming weeks. I'd be happy to help you find a kit for your Porsche.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:27 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FCP Euro
We will be adding Ohlins coilovers to our catalog in the coming weeks. I'd be happy to help you find a kit for your Porsche.
I have Ohlins and love them but why does Sachs have back orders? Also you showcased the Sachs in the Video. What's your experience with them in comparison to other brands?

Last edited by MoeMonney; 09-22-2020 at 09:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (09-23-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 10:42 AM
FCP Euro
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
I have Ohlins and love them but why does Sachs have back orders? Also you showcased the Sachs in the Video. What's your experience with them in comparison to other brands?
The Sachs coilovers are a top of the line motorsports quality coilover utilizing upside-down technology. Unfortunately Sachs has recently discontinued 841500118461 which is why we had some difficulty with orders recently. We will have the Ohlins Road and Track coilover kit for the 996 Carrera available soon.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:02 AM
Dunk49
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's kind of pointless to comment at this time but I did see a promotion at FCP about a year ago (?) for the Sachs coilover kit and purchased it at a pretty good discount. I just googled the kit and it is advertised at various places. I'm guessing it was their last one in actual stock. It was installed at Autotechnic in New Milford, Ct. There was a glitch in the install that could have been partially FCP's fault and even though that was debatable they were great and compensated me some funds. I mean really, where are you getting lifetime warranty on everything including fluids. Yes I buy all my oil there and return the used for credit. Anyway, Autotechnic did a great job installing the Sachs coilovers and adjusting them. I have not adjusted them since although it does not appear difficult. They're beautifully made. I did not have to purchase new strut mounts or anything else. The ride on back roads is stiffer than stock but acceptable to me and at a couple of Limerock track days they were amazing. The 996 is now lowered about an inch and a half. I don't have experience with other manufacturers kits but I have no hesitation recommending these if they actually continue to be available.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:37 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
I have the Ohlins coilovers and they are amazing. The ride is just what the car needed. The car handles very well and is very compliant. Dont know how these would compare but it would be interesting to find out. I don't know if the Sachs are a step above the Ohlins. The DFV valve in the Ohlins coilovers seams to be unique but im not an expert.
The interesting thing suspension for 911s is the variation in spring rates. On a motorcycle, spring rates are pretty well common yet cars are all over the place. Knowing ohlins started as a motorcycle suspension company makes me think they feel like there's probably an optimal spring rate regardless of whether it's a race car or a street car. The trick is making the car compliant "not harsh" by having some kind if compression valving that blows off with high speed shaft movement. Ohlins has addressed this and gave it some marketing term. I will definately be going with the Ohlins for this reason.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:39 AM
James_03C4S
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

How do the Sachs compare to the Bilstein PSS10s? I currently have Bilstein PSS10s on my '03 4S. The freeway expansion joints I used to pass over on my stock suspension were surprisingly non-jarring and refreshingly nice compared to my previous cars. When I switched to the PSS10s I was back to the semi-jarring feeling over expansions joints and harshness at lower speeds compared to the stock setup.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:52 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by James_03C4S
How do the Sachs compare to the Bilstein PSS10s? I currently have Bilstein PSS10s on my '03 4S. The freeway expansion joints I used to pass over on my stock suspension were surprisingly non-jarring and refreshingly nice compared to my previous cars. When I switched to the PSS10s I was back to the semi-jarring feeling over expansions joints and harshness at lower speeds compared to the stock setup.
those expansion joints cause a small but high speed movement
Old 12-14-2020, 06:29 PM
Dunk49
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sachs coil over suspension is definitely stiffer than the stock factory one. The only car I can compare it to is my old 1975 BMW 2002 that has H&R sport springs and Bilstein sports. It’s not much of a comparison but the Bilstein sports are a bit stiffer than the Bilstein HD and the cars have a similar ride. Yes, the Sachs ride is semi jarring over expansion joints. I could possibly adjust that out somewhat but it’s not uncomfortable to that extent to me. Or my wife although she notices it.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:24 PM
James_03C4S
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dougn
those expansion joints cause a small but high speed movement
Originally Posted by Dunk49
The Sachs coil over suspension is definitely stiffer than the stock factory one. The only car I can compare it to is my old 1975 BMW 2002 that has H&R sport springs and Bilstein sports. It’s not much of a comparison but the Bilstein sports are a bit stiffer than the Bilstein HD and the cars have a similar ride. Yes, the Sachs ride is semi jarring over expansion joints. I could possibly adjust that out somewhat but it’s not uncomfortable to that extent to me. Or my wife although she notices it.
Thanks for the info. I kept hearing that the Sachs were more compliant but it doesn't appear to be that they are as compliant as the stock suspension as related to expansion joints and such. So I guess I'm not missing out compared to my PSS10s. I guess the only way to get as supple as stock is with slightly underdamped shocks and lighter springs.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:18 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Thanks for the info. I kept hearing that the Sachs were more compliant but it doesn't appear to be that they are as compliant as the stock suspension as related to expansion joints and such. So I guess I'm not missing out compared to my PSS10s. I guess the only way to get as supple as stock is with slightly underdamped shocks and lighter springs.
^^^ BINGO! If you want your car to be both lower and flatter through turns you HAVE TO stiffen things up - there's no way around that... no magic bullet so to speak. The more expensive - $3k and up (Ohlins included) - coil-overs do a pretty amazing job at this. I can't speak to every brand, but I'm sure they're similar when talking similar price points, all marketing hype aside. I went from worn out stock struts and shocks (Bilstein B4) to H&R Sport Springs on Bilstein B8's. The B8's were actually better than the worn out B4's, but stikll fairly harsh/jarring over sharp bumps/expansion joints. About 6 months ago I went from the B8's to KW V3's (around the same price point as the Ohlins R&T) and I have to say the difference is pretty amazing. It takes some driving to get the adjustments just right, but when you do, the balance between compliance and handling is a whole other level. It probably took me about a month to really get it dialed in for general road conditions (a couple long, several hundred mile road trips as well as local driving) I haven't done any auto x or track days with it yet, so that'll be another thing altogether.

Quick Reply: Sachs Coilover Kit for the 996