996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sachs Coilover Kit for the 996

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 09:31 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

Go to the Sachs web site (sachsperformance.com) $2300-2400 depending on rwd or awd. Ships in 1-2 days.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:27 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
If they have independent rebound and compression adjustment, they are a step above the Ohlins R&T...at least in tech. From the marketing, they seem to be a track focused suspension. I wonder what the spring rates are.

With those helper springs, they are 1/2 way between the Bilstien PS10 and the KW V3.
I have the Ohlins coilovers and they are amazing. The ride is just what the car needed. The car handles very well and is very compliant. Dont know how these would compare but it would be interesting to find out. I don't know if the Sachs are a step above the Ohlins. The DFV valve in the Ohlins coilovers seams to be unique but im not an expert.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:24 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 737 Posts

I guess I won't be reviewing these any time soon. Not sure why it took six days to find out they were unavailable.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:33 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Öhlins...
Old 08-11-2020, 09:41 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal911t
I guess I won't be reviewing these any time soon. Not sure why it took six days to find out they were unavailable.

Did you try to order them directly from Sachs? They show them available for the the 2wd and awd sets. Hopefully they aren’t also hiding the truth about availability.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:08 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
Go to the Sachs web site (sachsperformance.com) $2300-2400 depending on rwd or awd. Ships in 1-2 days.
I tried to buy directly from Sachs before going to FCP. The shipping seemed impossibly cheap for Germany to California so I asked for clarification on that but never heard anything.
I also asked for more information on the shipping process because the last time I ordered something high ticket from Germany it was a bit of a hassle.
I ended up having to go to Delta Air Freight at the airport to pick up paperwork that I then had to take to U.S. Customs. I had to pay duty and some processing fees at Customs and then back to the airport to pick up the wheels and pay another fee.
Without being able to get info from Sachs, I figured I would just go with FCP because it could very well end up being cheaper and way less hassle.

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
Did you try to order them directly from Sachs? They show them available for the the 2wd and awd sets. Hopefully they aren’t also hiding the truth about availability.
I think it's unlikely that that wouldn't have any kits available to one of their best customers (FCP) but would have one available to sell to some random guy on the other side of the world.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:38 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

I’ve bought from Ruf in Germany and never had an issue. I did have a COD charge of $50 from UPS once, but that’s not a big deal compared to the prices US sellers want for Ruf items.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Bought my CAE Shifter direct from GER, if I remember correctly DHL had it to the local pickup center in like 4 days, I was shocked.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:27 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 100 Posts

How often do people end up needing the shocks rebuilt on Feal or Ohlins? I would go with the Ohlins but don’t want to have to rebuild shocks every two years. Anyone with long term experience here?
Old 08-15-2020, 07:24 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
I’ve bought from Ruf in Germany and never had an issue. I did have a COD charge of $50 from UPS once, but that’s not a big deal compared to the prices US sellers want for Ruf items.
Originally Posted by zbomb
Bought my CAE Shifter direct from GER, if I remember correctly DHL had it to the local pickup center in like 4 days, I was shocked.
I've never had any problem with odds and ends but it seems like when the declared value reaches a certain threshold, Customs starts taking more of an interest.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:32 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Sachs coilover purchase attempt Part Deux
I saw that FCP is doing a 10% off promo so just for the halibut, I sent them an email asking about availability since it's been over a month since my first try.

This was the response.

So with the new promo, it knocked the price down from $2,907.00 to $2,616.30, a savings of $290.70. Also, the shipping lead time went down from 5-6 weeks to 2-3 weeks.
In spite of the email from FCP, I won't be a bit surprised if I get an email in the next seven days telling me they're still backordered.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:21 AM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

I tried to buy directly from Sachs before going to FCP. The shipping seemed impossibly cheap for Germany to California so I asked for clarification on that but never heard anything.
I also asked for more information on the shipping process because the last time I ordered something high ticket from Germany it was a bit of a hassle.
I ended up having to go to Delta Air Freight at the airport to pick up paperwork that I then had to take to U.S. Customs. I had to pay duty and some processing fees at Customs and then back to the airport to pick up the wheels and pay another fee.
Without being able to get info from Sachs, I figured I would just go with FCP because it could very well end up being cheaper and way less hassle.

I think it's unlikely that that wouldn't have any kits available to one of their best customers (FCP) but would have one available to sell to some random guy on the other side of the world.

Holy pain in the ****! I would have had to take some deep breaths and practice my inner Zen.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:51 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Sachs coilover purchase attempt Part Deux
I saw that FCP is doing a 10% off promo so just for the halibut, I sent them an email asking about availability since it's been over a month since my first try.

This was the response.

So with the new promo, it knocked the price down from $2,907.00 to $2,616.30, a savings of $290.70. Also, the shipping lead time went down from 5-6 weeks to 2-3 weeks.
In spite of the email from FCP, I won't be a bit surprised if I get an email in the next seven days telling me they're still backordered.

If they're actually "in stock" (in my world that means they're sitting in the warehouse...) why would it take 2-3 weeks to ship them? Just ridiculous... I smell BS... I'm calling BS... (but I wish you the nest of luck in getting them anyway...)
Old 09-20-2020, 02:57 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
If they're actually "in stock" (in my world that means they're sitting in the warehouse...)
I know right?! I assume he means 'in stock' in Germany which of course means they are not in stock at FCP. It does seem strange that a company the size of FCP can't keep a kit or two on the shelf. I guess this is an item that unlike most of their stuff, isn't drop shipped from one of the big warehouses that most of the places like FCP use.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:02 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

I know right?! I assume he means 'in stock' in Germany which of course means they are not in stock at FCP. It does seem strange that a company the size of FCP can't keep a kit or two on the shelf. I guess this is an item that unlike most of their stuff, isn't drop shipped from one of the big warehouses that most of the places like FCP use.
^^^ Yeah... makes more sense^^^ . That being said, saying that something sitting in Germany is "in stock" is just slightly misleading... I've been a little disillusioned with FCP lately - I ordered a master cylinder from them the other day (TRW) and then found it almost immediately for $50 less. In their defense, they were very responsive and cancelled and refunded (in full) my order (they should have offered to match the price though - would have saved both of us some hassle)...

Quick Reply: Sachs Coilover Kit for the 996