Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

headlight washers with zenon upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004 | 01:00 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

Default headlight washers with zenon upgrade...

Total Porsche-rookie question, but my car supposedly has the P74 option - Bi-Xenon Headlights with Washer.

Been staring at the front of my car and can't for the life of me see what/where the washers are. I was expecting little nozzles like on my M5, but I don't see anything like that.

I just noticed when opening the hood that my underside sticker where all the options codes are supposed to be is missing - torn off in fact as there are little white paper backing residue where it used to be.
Old 03-08-2004 | 01:37 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

my official window sticker lists the option of "Xenon Headlamp Package" for $1090.

Which is the same price as quoted on the Porsche car configurator for the P74 Bi-Xenon Headlights with Washer. Now I'm getting a bit paranoid - in addition to not seeing any washer nozzles and the under-hood sticker being ripped off, my lights don't appear to be Bi-Xenon.

When I turn on the lights in regular mode, the light appears to be the Blue-White light of Xenon. However, when I turn on my high beams, the lower bulbs are normal yellow lights. Same thing when I turn on my fog lights - yellow light.

So, another question, am I assuming correctly that Bi-Xenon lights mean both regular and high beams are Xenon? If not, what the heck does Bi-Xenon mean?

p.s. when I pull out my light switch to the 2nd stop for rear fog light, I have nothing coming on in the rear other than my red tail lights which were already on. Where are the rear fog lights normally located?
Old 03-08-2004 | 02:17 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

I think I've figured out where the washers should be. the little silver circles pop up only when spraying and then sink back into the light unit right?

What about the Bi-Xenon versus Xenon though? Anyone else have an 04 996 w/ Xenon upgrade package and getting only Xenon white with low beams and regular yellow light with High beams?
Old 03-08-2004 | 03:26 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Old 03-08-2004 | 03:32 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

thanks for the pic - I finally found a smaller version but this one is much better.

last question left - just what are Porsche "Bi-Xenon" lights supposed to be?

Xenon for both High and Low beam, or just Low beams?
Old 03-08-2004 | 03:45 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Both. There is just one xenon bulb. A mask moves to let out more or less light depending on if high or low is selected. That is the way I think it works.
Old 03-08-2004 | 03:56 AM
mozhacker
Instructor

I got a reply on another board which seemed to make sense (and relieve me greatly) - same statement regarding the shutter being the one that moves to deermine Low versus High beam using same Xenon light, but that there is also a lower H1 bulb as well.

Which is exactly what I see on mine - a top bulb and this bottom H1 bulb. Explanation made sense regarding the H1 bulb being there to provide some fill in light and to be the one that flashes when you flash your lights with lights in off position (like in day time driving)

Quick Reply: headlight washers with zenon upgrade...