Sponsored by:

Oil return tubes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 02:01 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Oil return tubes

Just curious with oil return tubes, where do they usually fail. I ask because mine failed and obviously around the ribbed part where the oil goes in. Oil on belt, dry after ribbed section. If that’s a common spot, would it make sense to somehow cut the new pipe and reattach with a rubber tube and clamps so if it fails again, just remove and replace vs having to pull alternator and all the other work involved? Just thinking about it.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:27 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,531 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Yea thats where they fail. U can fix with a fernco (rubber repair tube for plumbing) from a home store or do it right by replacing it. The alt is pretty easy to get out if the way.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:07 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Remove and replace. The oil filler tubes are known to fail and crack open. Not an easy DiY project, but can be done with patience. Hardest part is removing the alternator.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:17 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Mine broke two years ago when I was replacing the coolant tank. I used a rubber coupler as a temporary measure and ordered a new filler tube. I still haven't gotten around to installing it. Maybe this week. Maybe. Or I might just give it to my indy to install when I bring the car in for an IMSB replacement and have them install the Ultimate AOS solution at the same time.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:21 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I just broke my oil filler tube this morning while installing my new UAOS and reinstalling my intake distributor.
I only needed to unbolt and shift the alternator to the left to get to the second oil filler bolt.
Of course my plenum and throttle body are already removed.
I don’t think it is a difficult DIY.
If you’ve ever done a water pump or alternator, this is much simpler!
AOS is a more difficult, and a lot more time consuming.

Quick Reply: Oil return tubes