Sponsored by:

Simple water pump question

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 03:55 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,859 Posts
Default Simple water pump question

I searched but didnt find a good pic. Is this where u see a drip when the wp weep hole starts to leak? At the track 2 weeks ago i had a drip and when i touched the hose clamp it broke and dumped the coolant. I refilled the system and have been bleading it out while driving as i did not have my air lift at the track. Occasionally i am getting drip off the lower bolt head to the right of the hose clamp and it appears to be wet under the pully.

I just want a confirmation before i order parts. Also my coolant ressi hose is not in the area.

Not surprised if it is as i didnt really have any service records on this car.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:29 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Not an expert, but based on the path of the fluid it seems pretty logical that your water pump is leaking and due for replacement. Its a pretty easy DIY job if you have a good variety of sockets of various depths. Get an OEM water pump, not a cheap-o knockoff. Might make sense to replace the thermostat at the same time since you'll be opening the coolant system and it's not very expensive. Also the reservoir if it's suspect, and take a look at this little fitting and hose break on everybody's car:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-fittings.html
Old 03-28-2020, 06:30 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Yea changing it is not an issue. Just trying to verify. Probaby order the pierburg unit and might do the t-stat, its really not a big deal for me if i want to do the t-stat later. I already have the aluminum part as i wss gonna do it as part of my uaos install, but i ran out if time to do it before my track day. I guess ill do the uaos too when i put it back on the lift.

Quick Reply: Simple water pump question