Sponsored by:

My 4S sold on BaT today

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 12:45 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Outbound
What was the total timespan from submission to approval to cash-in-hand? I'm mulling submitting my 996.1 since it has impeccable service records, IMS, clutch, brand new suspension (literally less than 300 miles on it) and overall in great shape, butttttt 100k miles. So we'll see. Feel like overall it might be less of a headache to go with BaT for top dollar, but I also don't want to be sitting around for 2 months waiting when I could sell locally for $2k cheaper and be done.
A few years ago you could get the cars up in 24 hours. Submit them approved, boom. Its up. I submitted a 996 on Tuesday the fourth. Accepted same day. I have a listing draft already so its about ten days to get up online. Thats if you have done it before. If you have all of the pictures and content together, and submit it at no reserve it makes the process super quick. If you don't have enough photos or want to bicker about reserve it could take weeks. The last year it has been about 2 weeks for submission to start of auction. Sometimes people don't pick up the cars for weeks too. You can't really control who the buyer is or how the pay either... IMHO this is the best way to sell a 996.

Selling these cars privately is AWFUL. People just out trying to find the cheapest thing possible, d-bags, people who think everyone is out to rip them off. It's not fun. Whenever you go into any transaction with negativity wether its going for a smog check, to a restaurant, or buying cars it is not going to be a good transaction. Just check these forums it's always "seller is scumbag" "seller muSt bE HiDing something" . i mean it happens, but if thats your attitude I would rather not sell my car to you, or even speak to you. BAT has their own subset of buyers willing to pay with cash in hand and would be more than happy to buy your car without any BS. It doesn't always go perfectly, but the car will be gone and thats the point of selling something.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:48 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Originally Posted by srop816
Del Sol's are neat,I wouldn't mind having one...
My Del Sol is a Cypress Green 1996 DOHC VTEC unmodified with 125k on it. It should be live on BAT early this week or as soon as today.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:50 PM
srop816
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdeezy
A few years ago you could get the cars up in 24 hours. Submit them approved, boom. Its up. I submitted a 996 on Tuesday the fourth. Accepted same day. I have a listing draft already so its about ten days to get up online. Thats if you have done it before. If you have all of the pictures and content together, and submit it at no reserve it makes the process super quick. If you don't have enough photos or want to bicker about reserve it could take weeks. The last year it has been about 2 weeks for submission to start of auction. Sometimes people don't pick up the cars for weeks too. You can't really control who the buyer is or how the pay either... IMHO this is the best way to sell a 996.

Selling these cars privately is AWFUL. People just out trying to find the cheapest thing possible, d-bags, people who think everyone is out to rip them off. It's not fun. Whenever you go into any transaction with negativity wether its going for a smog check, to a restaurant, or buying cars it is not going to be a good transaction. Just check these forums it's always "seller is scumbag" "seller muSt bE HiDing something" . i mean it happens, but if thats your attitude I would rather not sell my car to you, or even speak to you. BAT has their own subset of buyers willing to pay with cash in hand and would be more than happy to buy your car without any BS. It doesn't always go perfectly, but the car will be gone and thats the point of selling something.
When and IF I sell mine, I would not hesitate to sell my car on BaT. There seems to be a good 996 following and even Porsche in general on BaT. The guy that I bought mine from said it took 5 or 6 weeks to get the car listed I believe.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:26 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Originally Posted by srop816
When and IF I sell mine, I would not hesitate to sell my car on BaT. There seems to be a good 996 following and even Porsche in general on BaT. The guy that I bought mine from said it took 5 or 6 weeks to get the car listed I believe.
The amount of time changes depending on how busy they are and what time of the year it is. It's high season for them. I have real, recent data as of this week and it's ten days right now. Longest I have had is three weeks. That was once. It's mostly two weeks 7 out of 11 of my auctions. The other four were either under 48 hours or around 3 weeks.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Surroues
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Del Sol is a Cypress Green 1996 DOHC VTEC unmodified with 125k on it. It should be live on BAT early this week or as soon as today.

This is someone who understands the golden hour......great shots!
The following 2 users liked this post by Surroues:
Elumere (03-16-2020), mrdeezy (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 03:25 PM
srop816
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice! Wasn't there an SI version of the Del Sol?
Old 03-13-2020, 04:58 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

There was a single cam, a single cam vtec Si model and the bad boy Dohc Vtec.....Back when 100hp per liter was a big deal!

Old 03-13-2020, 06:22 PM
parris
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bpoteat
Wow. I had no idea. I can't find any places near me that do it (but haven't searched too hard yet). My one concern is removing the cosmoline. Even though it might not look great, it's adding protection and not sure how the dry ice handles it.
https://cryodetail.com/

They can apply the cosmoline after the cleaning too.
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (03-15-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 07:06 PM
Outbound
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

That's good to know. I am always an extremely transparent and responsive seller, as I appriciate the same when I am buying so I have always thought I could sell a car on BaT well. Along with always one to provide details of the history, what was done, why it was done, who did it, why I did something, pictures, video, etc. So seems like it definitely might be the best approach. 103k miles on it, minor bump in the front bumper from when the PO let off the handbrake and the car rolled slowly into a truck hitch, but interior in goregeous shape, zero leaks, full maintance, etc.
Old 03-13-2020, 09:27 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Dry ice cleaning.

There is a shop that does this locally. It is quite pricey, but the results are spectacular.
Anyone know of a dry ice blasting shop in SF Bay Area? I searched for 20min and came up empty.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:46 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wkf94025
Anyone know of a dry ice blasting shop in SF Bay Area? I searched for 20min and came up empty.
Same in South Carolina. I've found some industrial cleaning places that do it but I guess I'll have to call about car cleaning. My guess is that answer is either "no" or "that's going to be really expensive".

Honestly, seeing the results, I'm tempted to look into starting a local business to do it. The machines are expensive but not prohibitively so for charging a modest amount for cleaning. I imagine a market could be made.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:35 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

If anyone comes across how the whole cleaning process works, please post up. I'm curious to see it.

Im glad it scrapes off fairly easily. It's just time consuming. I used the back edge of a knife.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:38 PM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by bpoteat
Same in South Carolina. I've found some industrial cleaning places that do it but I guess I'll have to call about car cleaning. My guess is that answer is either "no" or "that's going to be really expensive".

Honestly, seeing the results, I'm tempted to look into starting a local business to do it. The machines are expensive but not prohibitively so for charging a modest amount for cleaning. I imagine a market could be made.
I was thinking the same thing for the SF Bay Area.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:16 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

http://www.cryo-werks.com

This shop has a good reputation and does good work. Pretty informative too. It's in San Diego
Old 03-15-2020, 08:34 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Looks amazing, before vs after. Any clue to cost?

Quick Reply: My 4S sold on BaT today