996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2000 996 C2 won't start after replacing variocam actuators

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 12:15 AM
Bsimpson
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going take the cam covers off and check the timing on both sides. Like the suggestions have said, I think it has to be the timing is not right. I had to remove both banks camshaft assemblies when I had it all apart since the entire assemblies were put on the wrong banks by the mechanic who screwed all this up in the first place. So I'm thinking maybe I did something wrong while reassembling. I followed the manual but not I'm second guessing everything I did so it's best i go back in and figure it out.
The 101 instructions and the manual instructions are pretty good but having to do both sides at the same time I'm thinking i could have missed something. . I'm definitely learning a lot from this whole experience... its intimidating for sure but when I get it all figured out I'm sure it will be worth it ....
Old 03-11-2020, 01:28 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Fingers crossed!
The following users liked this post:
Coopduc (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 01:12 PM
Bsimpson
Track Day

Is it possible for the camshafts to be installed and the sprocket on the end that goes to the ims chain to be off a tooth. If so how do I verify that the sprockets are right?
Old 03-11-2020, 02:14 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Bsimpson
I'm going take the cam covers off and check the timing on both sides. Like the suggestions have said, I think it has to be the timing is not right. I had to remove both banks camshaft assemblies when I had it all apart since the entire assemblies were put on the wrong banks by the mechanic who screwed all this up in the first place. So I'm thinking maybe I did something wrong while reassembling. I followed the manual but not I'm second guessing everything I did so it's best i go back in and figure it out.
The 101 instructions and the manual instructions are pretty good but having to do both sides at the same time I'm thinking i could have missed something. . I'm definitely learning a lot from this whole experience... its intimidating for sure but when I get it all figured out I'm sure it will be worth it ....
What I've heard the manuals are very vague. You might find it helpful to purchase Jake Raby M9X engine assembly video series. He goes over 5 chain camshaft timing.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:17 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
What I've heard the manuals are very vague. You might find it helpful to purchase Jake Raby M9X engine assembly video series. He goes over 5 chain camshaft timing.
Took the words right out of my mouth! Volume 5
Old 03-11-2020, 06:45 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Is it possible for the camshafts to be installed and the sprocket on the end that goes to the ims chain to be off a tooth. If so how do I verify that the sprockets are right?
First thing I would do before you rip into the engine is just pop the green plugs out where you put the timing tool in , it's the opposite side to where the scavenge pump is.
Get the engine at TDC then try to fit the timing tool , you should see that the slotted end of the cam will line up horizontal with the line where the cam cover meets the head. Now this is where you can check if you got it right , basically only one bank at a time should line up at any one time , basically get in TDC , check left bank , if it doesn't line up , rotate crank 360, now it lines up yes , that's good, now check the other bank, if it's NOT lined up that's good , it shouldn't , now turn the crank 360 and the other bank should line up and the first bank shouldn't do, if you can set the crank at TDC then the timing tool fits both banks without any crank rotation you need to alter it , you will have to take out a scavenge pump off one of the heads and unbolt the timing pulley , probably remove chain tensioner first for this bank, then rotate the crank carefully by 360 and bolt the pilot back on , obviously with the timing tool attached on this bank , I would then carefully hand crank the crank pulley a few times checking each bank timing to make sure the tool goes on nicely , then that should do it , only problem I can see is if you can't get the timing pulley of wether it will turn on the end of the cam with the bolts out as when you turn the crank 360 the chain and pulley will turn as the chain is attached to the ims which is attached to the crank, just be careful it doesn't bind as you turn the crank go slow and keep checking , if it's not good , pull the cover and remove the pulley off the cam while you do the crank rotation , hope you got that!! Good luck, I've got a copy of the porsche technician manual which helped me , the timing instructions are quite good, I rebuilt my engine a few years ago before Jake had his vids out, might be worth a buy , I'm tempted myself!
Old 03-12-2020, 12:45 AM
Bsimpson
Track Day

The videos would be great. Really expensive... but great. Those of you who suggested I had the timing wrong were right. I swear I thought I had rotated the crank 360 before I did bank 2 but apparently I did not. I kept checking the timing and the mark's were where I thought they were supposed to be. But I completely misunderstood that you check the timing on one bank and then rotate the crank 360 and check the timing on the other bank.... guess I'm just dense and even though ibe read a million pages of forums and instructions..i had it wrong.
I took both cam covers off and removed the camshafts, then went through the entire procedure to install both banks, rotatating the cams 360 between installing bank 1 and bank 2 this time. But now i can only manually rotate the crank about halfway around, so roughtly 180°.. and it stops.. wont go further.... so I had to walk away from it for the night. .
Old 03-12-2020, 06:14 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

The videos would be great. Really expensive... but great. Those of you who suggested I had the timing wrong were right. I swear I thought I had rotated the crank 360 before I did bank 2 but apparently I did not. I kept checking the timing and the mark's were where I thought they were supposed to be. But I completely misunderstood that you check the timing on one bank and then rotate the crank 360 and check the timing on the other bank.... guess I'm just dense and even though ibe read a million pages of forums and instructions..i had it wrong.
I took both cam covers off and removed the camshafts, then went through the entire procedure to install both banks, rotatating the cams 360 between installing bank 1 and bank 2 this time. But now i can only manually rotate the crank about halfway around, so roughtly 180°.. and it stops.. wont go further.... so I had to walk away from it for the night. .
I've got the porsche 996 tech manual, details the timing procedure , also refers to the notch position on the other end of the cam next to the scavenge, you use it to check orientation, it helps it become less confusing, if the engine has locked up tight don't force it something is wrong , probably a valve touching a piston !! Are you sure it's not compression?? If it feels harder but bouncy it's compression if it's like a brick wall solid it's valves on pistons , stop and re check , pm me your email and I'll share you the manual on my google drive so you can print it off and use that ??
Old 03-12-2020, 09:49 AM
Bsimpson
Track Day

thank you Noz1974. I pm'd you my email address. I have the "911 carrera (996) technical manual". It says WorkshopManuals.co.uk at the top. I have some of the spark plugs removed so its got to be something I did wrong again not compression.. Since I had both banks of the engine apart at the same time is it possible that I have cylinder 4 at tdc instead of cylinder 1 when I started the process. How do I know if the engine is at tdc for cylinder 1 or cylinder 4 if i have both banks camshaft assemblies removed?

Also when removing the ims chain sprocket from the camshaft it seems like its possible for the sprocket to "skip teeth" so how do I know if the ims sprocket chain is right?

Sorry for the million questions. When i started all this i felt pretty confident in what i was attempting but now going on 2 weeks of takimg apart and reassembling and in and out with the engine... I'm second guessing everything ...
Old 03-12-2020, 11:57 AM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are starting with both cams removed, you know cylinder one is at tdc when the crank is locked on the tdc slot through the pulley and then you have installed the cam so that the timing tool fits in the slot at the end of the cam (piston 1 is at the top of its rotation and locking cam in position so that the timing tool fits ensures that the cam's rotation sequence is TDC for cylinder 1). Once set, unlock the bank 1 cam, rotate the crank 360 and repeat for bank 2. I know you've been told this a couple of times but the workshop manuals are not great about timing procedures. After as much time as you have spent taking things apart and putting them back together, making an investment in the videos would seem to be a no brainer to me. Why not buy the entire CD set and then once you are done, sell the CD set with a $100 discount or something.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:57 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 714 Likes on 445 Posts

If I were doing this car, I would remove the engine from the car, put it on an engine stand, and start the cam timing from scratch. The way it is now, you have gone down too many paths of unknowns... it's impossible to guess what is going on. Get back to a known good place and start there. For me, it's engine on the stand, cam shafts OFF the car, chain hanging down from the case.

Cam timing on Porsche 911 has always been: doing TDC on bank 1, then turn 360 degrees to TDC on bank 2 for cam timing.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:27 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by danielcooper9
If you are starting with both cams removed, you know cylinder one is at tdc when the crank is locked on the tdc slot through the pulley and then you have installed the cam so that the timing tool fits in the slot at the end of the cam (piston 1 is at the top of its rotation and locking cam in position so that the timing tool fits ensures that the cam's rotation sequence is TDC for cylinder 1). Once set, unlock the bank 1 cam, rotate the crank 360 and repeat for bank 2. I know you've been told this a couple of times but the workshop manuals are not great about timing procedures. After as much time as you have spent taking things apart and putting them back together, making an investment in the videos would seem to be a no brainer to me. Why not buy the entire CD set and then once you are done, sell the CD set with a $100 discount or something.
Or just buy the chapter on on cam timing...I watched it yesterday and the tips and tricks ("silver billets") Jake highlights are a big bonus!
Old 03-12-2020, 01:36 PM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Well there is 3 videos actually listed for the 5 chain timing. I haven't watched the 5 chain so I'm not sure what's covered in each video. I would think the marketability of a full set of the dvd's wouldn't require a substantial discount to a buyer vs. buying new once you have used them for your purpose. Or just keep trying to do it trial and error.
Old 03-12-2020, 04:13 PM
pesuazo
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

Is it normal to get P1397 and P0343 codes when the timing is off?.....those codes are specific to the sensor being bad or the connection being bad.

aren't specific codes for timing off?.....pardon my ignorance....

P0010 "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1)
P0011 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
P0012 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)
P0013 "B" Camshaft Position - Actuator Circuit (Bank 1)
P0014 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
P0015 "B" Camshaft Position -Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1)
P0016 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A)
P0017 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)
P0018 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 2 Sensor A)
P0019 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 2 Sensor B)
P0020 "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 2)
P0021 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2)
P0022 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)
P0023 "B" Camshaft Position - Actuator Circuit (Bank 2)
P0024 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2)
P0025 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)
Old 03-13-2020, 11:53 AM
frederik
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

To the OP, maybe this older topic will be helpful: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-question.html

Quick Reply: 2000 996 C2 won't start after replacing variocam actuators