Sponsored by:

Out of State Private Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2020, 09:55 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Default Out of State Private Purchase

Has anyone driven home an out of state purchased used car from a private seller? Trying to determine how i handle license plates since I believe seller is supposed to keep them. 750 mile drive through several states. NJ DMV website not helpful though my wife will attempt to reach a human by phone today.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2020, 10:10 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes, several times.

Most states I've bought in don't have temp tags for private sale.

I've done plate/tag transfers, which (in my state) give you some time. I've done multiple trips, one to buy, come home, get new plates and return to pick up the vehicle. I've also towed - I had a car trailer for a while, which was great, but before that, I rented a UHaul car trailer.

I've had three sellers deliver a car to my home (despite being many hours away).

Some people will let you use their plates and send them back after. I am not a fan of this personally, since it seems illegal.

I prefer to trailer the vehicle home. Trailering is nice so you don't have to stress about driving a car with unknown history before baselining it. Then you can take the time to do a detailed inspection, change fluids/filters, etc, before driving.
The following 2 users liked this post by cds72911:
Optionman1 (03-02-2020), Weazer (03-03-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 10:25 AM
Avinaashb
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done it twice. Check the state you are buying from to see if they offer a temp plate, for example here is the link to the NYS (https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/how-...-registrations). Check in the state you are buying from.

You may be able to drive home with the previous owner's plates make sure they don't cancel the registration until you get home and mail the plates back to them. In both cases get insurance on the car in your name or make sure that you are covered under your existing policy.

Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Avinaashb:
Elumere (03-02-2020), Optionman1 (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Illinois doesnt appear to offer a temp plate since they allow you to drive for 24 hours with no plates at all in order to get to a DMV office and do paperwork. I will def insure it under my policy before driving it home.

Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
Elumere (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 10:42 AM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 329 Posts

It is actually crazy to me how most places don't offer temp tags for exactly this situation. It seems like an easy way to make a few extra bucks charging a nominal fee. Personally, I've always just kept or given the plates to the new owner and then send them back once I get home. I have done this probably 10 times with no issues. The car is still registered and you can insure it yourself before pick up.
Sajan (03-05-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 10:52 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought mine out of state in Tennessee then proceeded to drive across the country for 3 weeks straight, all with temp tags. The only two issues were finding the right people at the DMV (and the right DMV, went to three total) and some ******* cop in MA threatening to impound (civil forfeiture?) my car, despite legal tags.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:52 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motoo344
It is actually crazy to me how most places don't offer temp tags for exactly this situation. It seems like an easy way to make a few extra bucks charging a nominal fee. Personally, I've always just kept or given the plates to the new owner and then send them back once I get home. I have done this probably 10 times with no issues. The car is still registered and you can insure it yourself before pick up.
I expect this will be the route i go, keep the plates, insure it under my policy, and return the plates after registering/getting new plates.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:40 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 53 Posts

Call your insurance company to verify, but most automatically cover any vehicle you purchase for 30 days without needing to notify them.

Regarding the plates, I've always just put plates from another one of my cars on. Surely not proper protocol, but never had a problem. Steve Jobs drove his cars for years without any license plate. I can't imagine you'd get any worse than a ticket, I'd say the risk is worth it to avoid the hassle of a trailer and get to drive your new car. To each his own though.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:44 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

I’ve driven across multiple states after a purchase with no tags. I usually have the title and always have a copy of a bill of sale, my insurance card, etc. with me. In most states you have 30 days to get a tag.

i have never been pulled or had an issue. Of course, I don’t live in the NE so YMMV.

Old 03-02-2020, 11:46 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Call your insurance company to verify, but most automatically cover any vehicle you purchase for 30 days without needing to notify them.

Regarding the plates, I've always just put plates from another one of my cars on. Surely not proper protocol, but never had a problem. Steve Jobs drove his cars for years without any license plate. I can't imagine you'd get any worse than a ticket, I'd say the risk is worth it to avoid the hassle of a trailer and get to drive your new car. To each his own though.

putting plates on from another car is a is a big no-no. I would rather drive without plates and plead ignorance than put plates on from another car. I think that is asking for trouble.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:56 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

5 minutes on phone with my insurance company and i now have an insurance card to show if i get pulled over, will also have the bill of sale with me. I'm not comfortable using plates off another one of my cars, will just use the existing plates or go naked. I am bringing a portable K40 radar detector for some protection, but plan on taking an easy drive home...within reason....
Elumere (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 12:17 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 798 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92

Swapping plates is frowned on in most jurisdictions. If the state of purchase doesn't have temporary plates to get you home I think you would be good on the bill of sale and or title. Might get stopped but you should be good after showing bill of sale/title. NE has temporary plates good for 30 days for @ $20 for these types of occurrences. Surprised Ill. doesn't. To be sure I would check the laws in the states you will be driving through. Good Luck.

What are you buying?
Elumere (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 12:45 PM
Eurocarguy911
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 88 Posts

Get a clean signed title and insurance.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:48 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,297 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Bought from FL and drove home to MA.

I took the plates, reg and proof of insurance off my daily and put them on the 911 for ride home.

Added the title, bill of sale and proof of insurance for the 911 to the pile after transaction.

in the event I got pulled over I would explain, hand over the pile of paperwork and hope I got a reasonable PO.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:11 PM
Joel987
Racer

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

A Google search found the following from the Corvette forums:

"FYI, here is the response from the state since I won't have any bill of sale or title until I actually pick up the car:
Illinois will not issue any type of temporary permit when it is a private party transaction. You will need to check with the state of Massachusetts to see if they off a drive away permit for out of state buyers."

Check with NJ DMV to see if they issue a transport temp plate. NH does this.

I wouldn't recommend putting plates from another car on the 911. One police stop for anything and you'll likely have a tow bill on your hand along with a hefty fine. If the PO let's you keep the tags on the car, then the correct response to the cop is, "I am taking the car for an extended test drive." If you tell the cop you bought the car then you have a "Misuse of plates" situation, which could result in a tow and a hefty fine.

Quick Reply: Out of State Private Purchase