02 TARGA (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 08:47 AM
sandman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 TARGA (long)

Hi Guys

I am new to this board. For the past 2 years I have been the proud owner of a 1995 993 C4 Tip. My car is gorgeous with only 5800 miles, fully loaded and customised. I have truly looked after this car and it is imaculate inside and out. By the way my car is the only 993 in India.

For the past 6 months I have been debating about upgrading to the new 996 and after following various posts on the subject I have decided to make the switch. A car dealer here has imported a 2002 996 Targa for me. The car is fully loaded with the new 18" Sport Techno wheels, litronics, side skirts, DVD navigation, Gemballa exhaust, TElephone etc. When the car was sent to me yesterday I took it for a spin and was amazed at how civilized she felt compared to rawness of the 993. The ride is also much more comfortable. However, the Check engine light came on after a burst of spirited driving. I spoke to the dealer (not official Porsche) who is going to have it checked out tomorrow. He said that the car has been sitting in a container for 6 weeks and the cause is probably something "small".

We do not have an official Porsche dealer here so I am relying on you Rennlisters to help me with this decision. My main questions are as follows:

1) The CEL is this serious. The car has 10,100 miles.
2) What are the other issues I should look into.
3) I know that the RMS is an issue but how can I check if this has been rectified on this car.
4) The car is a grey market import (import duties here are 105%) so the history is not available.
5) Are there any other iproblems that I should look into.
6) Is there a way of checking if the milage has been tampered?.

I appreciate all your help in this matter and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Sandman
Old 03-03-2004, 12:20 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

my 03 Targa has been fool proof - not sweaking or rattling, solid through and through - I checked for recalls prior to obtaining my black beauty - nothing found that relates to the Targa. In regards to the mileage tampering, with the digital tracker, I don't think there is a way to alter that. Best of luck..
Old 03-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

I'D SAY VERY SERIOUS.. WITH THAT LOW MILEAGE, IT CANT BE THE OXYGEN SENSORS. IT CAN BE ANYTHING FROM AN O2 SENSOR TO A CRANK SENSOR TO GOD KNOWS THERE ARE A HUNDRED SENSORS IN THIS CAR

AT THIS LOW MILEAGE NOTHING MUCH BUT I'D CHECK THE BRAKES?

3) I know that the RMS is an issue but how can I check if this has been rectified on this car.
GO UNDER. CHECK THE JOINT BETWEEN THE GEAR BOX AND THE ENGINE. IS THERE OIL SEEPING? IS IT COMPLETELY DRY? NOW YOU KNOW.

4) The car is a grey market import (import duties here are 105%) so the history is not available.
CARFAX? ARE YOU SURE WHERE IT'S COMING FROM? IF IT'S A NEW IMPORT FROM SHENGEN-EUROPE WITH LEGAL SHIPPING PAPERS THEN NO PROBLEM.. IF IT'S FROM UK *SINCE YOU GUYS HAVE RHD CARS IN INDIA* WELL THE LISTERS WILL ADVISE MORE!

MAKE SURE NO ACCIDENTS? INSIDE THE FRONT TRUNK IS CLEAN? OPEN THE CARPETS EVERWHERE? CHECK FOR REWELDING, COLOR DIFFERENCE? USE OF SOME OTHER METHOD OF WELDING THAN FACTORY'S... HAVE YOU GOT THE RADIO CODE?

THRU A $10,000 PORSCHE DIAGNOSTIC EQUIPMENT!

Waz1) The CEL is this serious. The car has 10,100 miles.

Speaking out of experience of owning a porsche 996 in LagosNigeria.. Stay with the 993... trust me, your problem will eventually happen! I did with the new owner of my 996 there.. He had an oil heat exchange problem, the car is never back to normal..

Waz
Old 03-03-2004, 06:05 PM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

Default Re: 02 TARGA (long)

Originally posted by sandman
Hi Guys

I am new to this board. For the past 2 years I have been the proud owner of a 1995 993 C4 Tip. My car is gorgeous with only 5800 miles, fully loaded and customised. I have truly looked after this car and it is imaculate inside and out. By the way my car is the only 993 in India.

For the past 6 months I have been debating about upgrading to the new 996 and after following various posts on the subject I have decided to make the switch. A car dealer here has imported a 2002 996 Targa for me. The car is fully loaded with the new 18" Sport Techno wheels, litronics, side skirts, DVD navigation, Gemballa exhaust, TElephone etc. When the car was sent to me yesterday I took it for a spin and was amazed at how civilized she felt compared to rawness of the 993. The ride is also much more comfortable. However, the Check engine light came on after a burst of spirited driving. I spoke to the dealer (not official Porsche) who is going to have it checked out tomorrow. He said that the car has been sitting in a container for 6 weeks and the cause is probably something "small".

We do not have an official Porsche dealer here so I am relying on you Rennlisters to help me with this decision. My main questions are as follows:

I appreciate all your help in this matter and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Sandman

Just curious, did you mean to say it is the only 993 in India?
Old 03-03-2004, 06:34 PM
Chicago996
Racer

You are one brave soul. No official Porsche dealer and, I have to believe, no really qualified independents either to maintain and yet you have plunked down the price + import duty + other costs (I hear bribes are common). Hell, is 93 RON fuel even available there? Like I said, you are one brave soul and more power to ya Best of luck with what might be the only 996 in the country as well
Old 03-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

Is there any way to get to an authorized dealer, 250 - 350 miles away. Even fly there? Get a certified car and maybe make arrangements for the warranty to cover fixing at a Porsche shop close to you? Just wondering. I would have a trusted mech thoroghly check the car along with the mileage histort in the computer.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:49 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it was me, i would keep the 993 until you know a used 996 better. Seems you'll never know the history on this car you reference. But seem to know what you have with the 993. I wonder if you tried to do a search in Asean countries, maybe Singapore you can find more choices and than have imported to India. I don't know what those import duties would be. Spending some time in India, I am not sure who would be a "certified" dealer you can use there to check the 996. Would think in Singapore would be more choices. Which means you would need to travel there and have the car PPI'ed locally there.

Regarding mileage, i thought a Porsche dealer could check the number of hours the engine was running. Don't think is a big deal, so with that info can get rough idea of km's.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:46 PM
Philip9
Advanced

In order to understand what the CEL is telling you I would use a handheld scanner and look at the code (s); it could just be a bad gas cap. The scanners can be purchased for less than $300.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:11 AM
sandman
Advanced

Default Thanks guys

Thanks a ton guys for all your responses.

Yes my 993 is the only one here. There are 3 996's here.

Regarding the 996, I had a mechanic from Porsche in Dubai (who happened to be in India) check the car out. He brought with him the official porsche scanner and the fault codes showed misfiring in cylinders 1 2 and 6. We put the car up on a lift and after removing the engine covers, one of the adapters seemed slightly disloged. After reseating it the car was fine. We had the CEL reset and it has not showed up again. Tonight, I will be taking her out again for a "proper drive". Hopefully the lights will not come on again.

By this weekend I will have to make up my mind whether I will keep this gorgeous car or stay with the 993.

By the way is the sun - blind supposed to roll all the way in or partially and then hang a bit??.

Cheers

Sandman
Old 03-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Philip9
Advanced

After you drive the car again rescan as you can have pending codes that may not show up until the computer has reset. Pending codes don't always trigger the CEL.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:29 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

Sunblind?...Sunblind? We dun't need no stinkin sunblind. Good luck with your decission.

Quick Reply: 02 TARGA (long)