996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Introduction and needing advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 10:25 PM
*Eastep*
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Introduction and needing advice.

Hello Rennlist. I'm Michael. I'm from Lancaster County, PA and I've been a lurker, on and off since 09. (Under a different ID and email). My experience with Porsche cars is limited to what was learned during a short ownership of an '87 924S. I look forward to meeting and learning from you all, and I hope to contribute positively to the Rennlist community.

I'm looking to purchase a 996 within the next several weeks
Today I met with the owner of a very early '99 (build date of '98). After contacting an independent Porsche mechanic about another car that I viewed ('02), the shop owner suggested I contact one of his other customers who is also selling a 996.
After driving the car for about half hour, and extensively examining the car and a large binder of service records, most everything seems on the up.
I did notice a couple things I need you collective knowledge about.
The engine temp was slightly over center on the gauge. It never spiked or seemed like an issue, despite a mix of heavy in town traffic and seeing over 100mph a few times on the highway, and a cruise speed around 70-75mph. Should I be worried that the temp needle isn't at 190?
As I performed a visual inspection something that caught my eyes were wet spots on both coolers. The damp spot has me concerned, but there was no visible leaking or fluid. The AC also blew cold after about 30 seconds or so. Should I be concerned over the damp looking spots on the coolers?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by *Eastep*; 01-19-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:42 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Normal for the temp to be to the right of center.
The following users liked this post:
Idaho911 (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 11:19 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

A member just posted a super nice looking 03 Targa on here. LN IMS done.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:57 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

The damp spot may just be from washing or it's last trip in the rain. Only way to say for sure is to clean it out. As for temps, it's not likely anything to worry about. If water pump hasn't been replaced, it might be a good preventative measure, along with new thermostat. Pretty inexpensive and good prevention.

Quick Reply: Introduction and needing advice.