Sponsored by:

Bug Splats

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Chucksta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bug Splats

Does anyone know how to get bug splats off paint and glass?

I have heaps of splats over the bonnett and front windscreen.

Will bug and tar remover scratch the paint and or glass?

Any tips??

thanks..

Chucksta
Old 02-29-2004, 11:57 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

No it wont scratch the paint or glass, however be carefull with what cloth you use, if its abrasive it WILL scrath the paint the bug remover works great, or at least it has in the past for me. Use a cloth that is really soft , and switch sides so it what ever your trying to take of the paint,doesnt end up doing the scrathing from being on the cloth
Old 03-01-2004, 01:52 AM
eyeopener
AutoX

Chucksta,
You may also want to try seltzer water with (at room temperature) with a microfiber towel.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:17 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The bugs become harder to remove over time. Left on the paint, the decomposing bug will damage the paint. But the real damage will be "self inflicted" -- YOU will scratch the clearcoat as you try to remove the bugs and tar.

Check out concours and car care sites like www.autopia.org

Somewhat suprisingly, humble products can be best -- in this case Turtle "Bug and Tar" is cheap and contains nothing harmful to clearcoat but does a great job on bugs and tar. First, clean the paint (again, read autopia to learn about everything you should do and you're presently doing wrong when cleaning your paint) then use the Turtle Bug and Tar goop -- but realise it's a _chemical_ process to dissolve bugs and tar. If you use mechanical force, it's impossible to attack just the bug and so the clearcoat suffers "microabrasions." Let the stuff in the bottle ooze out and do its work. Then use gentle "dab and lift" movements with a cheesecloth or open weave all cotton fabric to remove the disssolved particles and re-apply the Turtle stuff. Do this over all effected areas for a half hour and the car should be done. Even after five track days I followed this "system" and I'm entirely happy with the results.

Cheers,
Old 03-01-2004, 06:02 AM
Waz996
Burning Brakes

Insects have a simple extracellular digestive track running from mouth to anus which consists of three main sections: the foregut, the midgut, and the hindgut.

As the bug squashes open due to the high speed impact (being the total of the car's speed and the bug's own speed) the above mentioned guts explode open exposing acidic media that can deteriorate thru time the paint coat of your car.

Clean it immediately!

..now let's talk about bird fremaentating excrements!

Waz
Old 03-01-2004, 10:31 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Surprisingly the Porsche Tequipment Insect Remover works very well. Spray let it soak and carefully remove. Most bug and tar removers (Porsche's included) remove any and all waxes and sealants. You will need to reapply.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I use a claybar to remove the leftover insect residue. Just remember to fold it over.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:18 PM
chrisalberts
Intermediate

First rule is to not leave it on too long, secondly I find that warm/hot water really helps with bug splatter. I use meguairs shampoo, a sheepskin mitt and warm water and have never had any problems getting it off as long as it's only been on for a few weeks max.

C.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:04 PM
GRUENE
Track Day

Move to LA. We don't have bugs out here...
Old 03-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Try coating the front of your car with REJEX

This stuff is for aerospace applications, but is amazing for cars. Bugs will hit you, but do not stick! It is also great for your wheels. Brake dust does not stick either. I coat the front of my car and wheels twice a year, and then I just need a damp rag to get any bug goo off.

REJEX

Quick Reply: Bug Splats