Sponsored by:

Front constant velocity joint is loose

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 11:05 PM
Gingerman
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Front constant velocity joint is loose

This is a 2001 c4. I had heard ticking at low speed and with tight turns. Found the passenger side outer CV is loose and the drive shaft has a bit of an orbital rotation. The inner seems tight, as does the whole drivers side axle.
I am curious after reading a few write ups and YouTube videos, it seems like everyone replaces the whole axle instead of just the failing joint. Is that advised or just easier?
i didn’t see many non-Porsche options for replacement axles and don’t mind a little mess to change the joint. I just don’t want to go back in again because the inner should have been changed too.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:34 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Gingerman
This is a 2001 c4. I had heard ticking at low speed and with tight turns. Found the passenger side outer CV is loose and the drive shaft has a bit of an orbital rotation. The inner seems tight, as does the whole drivers side axle.
I am curious after reading a few write ups and YouTube videos, it seems like everyone replaces the whole axle instead of just the failing joint. Is that advised or just easier?
i didn’t see many non-Porsche options for replacement axles and don’t mind a little mess to change the joint. I just don’t want to go back in again because the inner should have been changed too.

thanks in advance.
Theres a YouTube diy on how to do it buy a guy here that goes by the screen name “charleaf” (I think) try a search...
Old 12-30-2019, 11:55 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 53 Posts

I made a video about removing the axle and replacing the boots. In order to replace the outer boot you need to disassemble the inner CV joint. I'm not sure if the outer one is removable/serviceable to be honest.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:35 PM
Gingerman
Instructor

Default Thanks. I watched the video.

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
I made a video about removing the axle and replacing the boots. In order to replace the outer boot you need to disassemble the inner CV joint. I'm not sure if the outer one is removable/serviceable to be honest.
very helpful. I was hoping to replace only the CV like the old days I guess but it seems like it’s the whole axle.

thanks to both of you.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:34 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Both can be replaced,, BUT its not something I would deal with (Time vs money) ,, Pull the whole axle and find a good drive-line shop,,
its mostly a matter of know-how and some really fancy tools. Unless the outer is electrically welded, Once its been shop rebuilt,, usually its user serviceable because they break the OEM retainers and replace with snap rings.. haven't touched one in years so this gen C4 may be different..
Old 01-09-2020, 01:26 PM
Gingerman
Instructor

Default I want to drive

I ordered a new axle but won’t have time to put it on for a couple weeks. Heretofore I have only driven the car a couple times since discovering the bad CV. It drives fine with the only hint coming during low speed turns, like out of a parking space.
Can I continue to drive it mildly? When I got the car I swore I would exercise it regularly and also, I want to drive it.

thanks again.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:31 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Gingerman
I ordered a new axle but won’t have time to put it on for a couple weeks. Heretofore I have only driven the car a couple times since discovering the bad CV. It drives fine with the only hint coming during low speed turns, like out of a parking space.
Can I continue to drive it mildly? When I got the car I swore I would exercise it regularly and also, I want to drive it.

thanks again.
Based on how you described it I think you only risk further damaging the CV joint by driving it - and since you're replacing the entire axle and both CV joints soon I'd say continue driving and enjoy it. I believe as they get progressively worse they can start to bind up and cause vibration but it sounds like you're a long way from that.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:32 AM
Gingerman
Instructor

Default Thanks for the reassurance.

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Based on how you described it I think you only risk further damaging the CV joint by driving it - and since you're replacing the entire axle and both CV joints soon I'd say continue driving and enjoy it. I believe as they get progressively worse they can start to bind up and cause vibration but it sounds like you're a long way from that.
yes, it drives very smooth at normal speeds and even around regular corners. Will fire it up for some exercise on Saturday!

Quick Reply: Front constant velocity joint is loose