Sponsored by:

2002 996 Carerra Car Seat

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 12:56 PM
surrysprice
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2002 996 Carerra Car Seat

Hey ya'll. I have been researching putting a car seat in my 2002 Carerra and cannot figure it out. Mine does not have the lower seat latches or the rear latch so I am depending on the seat belt to tighten the car seat down. Only issue is, my seat belt wont stay locked like my other cars so the car seat is way too loose. It fits fine but I am stuck on what to do?

The seat belt locked if I yank on it, but will not stay locked.

Any idea, help or videos?
Old 12-29-2019, 01:17 PM
amusselw
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Car Seats

I had to cut a small section of carpet to reach the rear latch point behind the back seats. I have a booster for my 4YO which just rests in the seat, but I have a Eddie Bauer car seat for my 2YO. I have to get in, thread the seat belt through, and then pull it all the way out until the lock engages. At that point, you can retract the belt but it won’t pull out any. I take extreme care to tighten it as much as I can and get the rear latch hooked up tight. Important things to note are that greater than 1” of movement is unsafe and that while we want to use towels to save the leather, saving the kids is more important. Each car seat manufacturer puts out what is and is not acceptable for their seats in terms of a seat protector/towel so make sure you look in to that. It took me a long time to find a car seat narrow enough to fit back there, but both of my kids love riding around with us. Good luck and I hope this helps!
Old 12-29-2019, 01:36 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 103 Posts

Regular Graco brand carseat, removed seat back and buckle, installed longer buckle purchased from Amazon. Towel on leather seat and covering speaker, light cloth on roll protection assembly. Child buckles themselves, comfortable for any distance drive. If stopping fast or crash belt extends small amount then locks up, speed of belt extension locks mechanism not weight of passenger. Removed hook back of seat in case child's face contacts seat, future project may put a pad there.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:49 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

I used a Rider Safer best with my daughter from 3 yrs old until she turned 7 and grew out of it. Worked great with a regular booster seat base. Takes up zero space in the back. I’d sell it cheap since we sure ain’t having any more kids!

Quick Reply: 2002 996 Carerra Car Seat