Sponsored by:

Light intermix after oil cooler o-ring

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 08:13 PM
William Dulaney
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light intermix after oil cooler o-ring

I had a small leak from the oil cooler and my indy replaced the orings last week. Both the oil and coolant level dropped slightly which wasn't surprising to me.

When I went to top off the coolant I noticed a very slight oil film. Is this normal? I'm guessing it's possible to contaminate one or both but just wanted to check with y'all.

TIA
Old 11-04-2019, 04:34 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by William Dulaney
I had a small leak from the oil cooler and my indy replaced the orings last week. Both the oil and coolant level dropped slightly which wasn't surprising to me.

When I went to top off the coolant I noticed a very slight oil film. Is this normal? I'm guessing it's possible to contaminate one or both but just wanted to check with y'all.

TIA
Did the shop clean the cooling system? It's not a fun job and requires several flushes to remove the oil from the cooling system.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:27 PM
William Dulaney
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They didn't touch any of the cooling system other than the oil/water exchanger (not even to top off coolant). The leak presented itself as an external leak (looked like coolant to me although they said it was oil) coming from the exchanger base and dropping off of the front passenger side of the engine. Maybe it was coolant mixed with residual oil/debris from the exterior of the engine but I digress...

Is it normal to flush the coolant system after touching the exchanger? I'm thinking that at the very least I should dump and replace coolant in the system and recheck.

I should say again that it appears to be a very small amount of oil, but is definitely different than any other time I've checked the coolant reservoir. I only noticed because 1) the coolant level had dropped to min level and 2) the bottom of the cap had a mayo like substance on it.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:56 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

Flush it! You don't want any oil in your coolant lines.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by William Dulaney
They didn't touch any of the cooling system other than the oil/water exchanger (not even to top off coolant). The leak presented itself as an external leak (looked like coolant to me although they said it was oil) coming from the exchanger base and dropping off of the front passenger side of the engine. Maybe it was coolant mixed with residual oil/debris from the exterior of the engine but I digress...

Is it normal to flush the coolant system after touching the exchanger? I'm thinking that at the very least I should dump and replace coolant in the system and recheck.

I should say again that it appears to be a very small amount of oil, but is definitely different than any other time I've checked the coolant reservoir. I only noticed because 1) the coolant level had dropped to min level and 2) the bottom of the cap had a mayo like substance on it.
The oil contamination will damage the coolant lines. It's pricey to have to change them. All. Google how to properly flush oil from a cooling system. It needs to be done pronto. Shame on the shop for going in with blinders on.

Quick Reply: Light intermix after oil cooler o-ring