996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

sequential shift 996

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 05:40 PM
JLJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sequential shift 996

has anyone bought and installed the sequential shift conversion for theri 996? is it good? do you like it?
www.cartronic-motors.com
Old 02-25-2004, 05:58 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

We also have a sequential shifter that was codeveloped with Cartronic (almost identical units) and I have had the chance to drive one of our customers cars with the kit installed (on a 996TT). He has the upgraded electro-magnetic one which makes the shifting much easier. I personally enjoy driving the 6speed and would not put this unit in my car, but this has nothing to do with the unit just my honest personal prefference. The customer is in love with the unit however and would not have it any other way. I have included some pictures of his shifter before it went into the car.

Old 02-25-2004, 06:04 PM
JLJ

how much do you sell the electromagnetic unit for?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:15 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JLJ
how much do you sell the electromagnetic unit for?
We are looking to get some more of these units out there so we are willing to sell this unit for $3515, it normally retails for $4750. This is just over our cost and like I said we are only doing this to get a couple more units out there in the market.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:25 PM
JLJ

thats great! as soon as the weather clears and the car is on the road i will contact you.
thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

Am I right in assuming that this is not a clutchless shifter like BMW's SMG? The web page doesn't mention any clutch replacement, so I am assuming you still need to depress the clutch to change gears. Why is this better than a stick shift, esp. when executing 5-2 downshifts? Can you even blip the throttle while downshifting? What about double-clutched downshifts?
Old 02-26-2004, 02:31 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uh I am pretty sure you have to still use the clutch it is just a sequential shift style
Old 02-26-2004, 02:36 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Lee from Toronto
Am I right in assuming that this is not a clutchless shifter like BMW's SMG? The web page doesn't mention any clutch replacement, so I am assuming you still need to depress the clutch to change gears. Why is this better than a stick shift, esp. when executing 5-2 downshifts? Can you even blip the throttle while downshifting? What about double-clutched downshifts?
Yes you are correct. Like I said I personally do not like this better then a stick but others do ... Reasons I am told are, no chance of missing a shift, quicker downshifting, etc... I don't see why you couldn't blip or double clutch, its just like the stick but up and back instead of the gate pattern.
Hope this helps..,
Old 02-26-2004, 05:07 PM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

How does the sequential shift go into neutral to allow you to double-clutch and blip? And how do you do a 5-2 double-clutched rev-matched downshift with this sequential shift?

It just seems silly to put in a sequential shifter if you don't automate the clutch and blip the throttle for you between downshifts. That's the whole beauty of having a true sequential shifter - that you can hit the downshift stick (or paddle) 2 or 3 times in a row and know that the system will automatically put you in the right revs not to upset the drivetrain and balance of the car, esp. when you are cornering.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:19 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Lee from Toronto
How does the sequential shift go into neutral to allow you to double-clutch and blip? And how do you do a 5-2 double-clutched rev-matched downshift with this sequential shift?

It just seems silly to put in a sequential shifter if you don't automate the clutch and blip the throttle for you between downshifts. That's the whole beauty of having a true sequential shifter - that you can hit the downshift stick (or paddle) 2 or 3 times in a row and know that the system will automatically put you in the right revs not to upset the drivetrain and balance of the car, esp. when you are cornering.
Ok, I honestly have no idea what you are getting at. Both things you have mentioned (bliping and double clutching) are done the exact same way as in a car with a stock gated shifter...I am not sure if you do things differently, but when I down shift and double clutch I don't shift into neutral I put my foot on the clutch . I mean no offense by this post so please do not take it that way, I am just kind of confused by what you are getting at
Just as the SMG or F1 systems you can tap the shifter back 3 times and downshift from 5th to 2nd and blip while doing this...it would still be quicker then a regular stick because you are "taping" the shifter quickly instead of throwing the shifter from 5th to 2nd.
Like I have said I personally do not like this better then my stick, however not for the reasons you are pointing out as they can be done in the same way (and quicker) as a normal shifter.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:29 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically it only works in replacing the gate- instead of the six speed h style you just go forward and back. I am sure there is probably a neutral spot between 1st and r if you go all the way down. It does nothing more than change the way you shift everything else is the same, unless I am missing something.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:31 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SPR
Basically it only works in replacing the gate- instead of the six speed h style you just go forward and back. I am sure there is probably a neutral spot between 1st and r if you go all the way down. It does nothing more than change the way you shift everything else is the same, unless I am missing something.
Exactly, thank you for clarifying...
Old 02-26-2004, 06:40 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Here's my take on this specific unit...

You still need to use the clutch for smooth shifting. This "sequential" shifter loses the lateral motion of the classic H-pattern shift gate. That's it. AND it uses electromagnetic assist to ease the force needed to work the stock shifter cables into gear. But you still need to use the clutch... just try doing a smooth 4-3 shift in your 6-speed without using the clutch.

To achieve the 5-2 rev matched downshift, I would assume that you simply depress the clutch and blip while doing a quick double push on the sequential shifter. Is that really any easier than doing a 5-2 through an H-gate?

I can see this unit decreasing the incidence of missed shifts, but without automated clutch and throttle modulation, I really don't see the benefit of this unit, but each to his/her own!

Perhaps the $4k will allow you to miss a few less gears...

Cheers!

Last edited by RJFabCab; 02-26-2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Lee from Toronto
Advanced

Okay, I understand how this works now. I still think it's silly, since you increase the chance of over-revving the engine if you lose count of how many times you tap the lever to downshift. A real SMG would not allow you to over-rev.

BTW Evan, not sure if we're double-clutching the same way. When I double-clutch, I lift off the clutch when I'm in neutral to blip.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:43 PM
silver996
Instructor

I agree, the main benefit of the SMG-type shifter (i.e. no clutch and automated rev-matching) is not present in this system. Regardless, what's the point of double-clutching I thought that synchros had rendered the practice obsolete

Quick Reply: sequential shift 996