Sponsored by:

has anyone here owned a ferrari 355?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 05:46 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason,
TRs are a different ball game than a 355. Brother also has a TR (he has issues its true), its an amazing car, but the technology/design is going on 25 yrs old. Not an easy car to drive, and even more difficult to drive fast. All kinds of stupid annoying problems, and aside from the major mechanicals, the design is awkward at best (routing or wires and cables that are prone to breaking). You're dealing with a 12 cyl engine, so tune ups are a bitch, and parts are increasing difficult to find.
328s and 348s I can't really speak to...
Old 02-26-2004, 11:09 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2500 miles per year.....

the mean miles per year is 2500. If you want to keep the car until you die and can afford the upkeep you are good to go other then that GT2
Old 02-27-2004, 12:41 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

riad

where did you get the "statistics" regarding red cars? i'd love to believe it's true because i love red and yellow cars. both ferrari fly yellow and speed yellow are beautiful! i used to get stopped all the time in marginal situations in a guards red 911sc but i never get stopped in my lapis 996c4s or a white 912e i used to own. PLEASE convince me--i'd love another red car--be it a porsche or a ferrari. please include enough info so i can convince my wife.

peace.

Last edited by ignacio; 02-27-2004 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:16 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

dennis

thanks for your observations and experience. i know a 355 is an expensive toy to keep up i just don't want it to be a pain in the butt.

i never worry about depreciation-- its a nasty reality like death and taxes. i am encouraged however to see a 1995 355 with 75k mi sell for over $52k on ebay while nice examples of 1998 and 99 355's sell for the low 80's with 10-15k mi. $30k depreciation for 60k mi sounds pretty good to me for an $80k fun car as long as it doesn't leave me stranded. it's great that so many people use these cars so little. i see lots of ads of people who are doing their 30k mi checks at 12-15k mi because their cars are already 5 years old! i can only assume that they have lots of other cars.

btw, i don't expect to use it in the the snow like my c4s. i have a merc 4matic wagon and i'm keeping the c4s which my wife wants to drive more often and i also love.

the ferrari is a dream and life is too damn short. i am encouraged that my neighbor and friend with a fly yellow 2000 modena has not needed any unscheduled maintenance with about 15k mi. in the past i have been disuaded from ferraris by their unreliability--maybe now is the time i continue to gather information--including a good local mechanic that is much less expensive than the dealers but very careful and talented

btw, do you still own your 355? did you get it new? what color is it? any extra equipment you recommend.? i've already ruled out the "f1" transmission. it's too jerky and that gated shifter is so enticing!

aren't cars fun? i have an appointment on sat to drive a 355. i'll report back my impressions.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:10 AM
J.Seven
Instructor

I was on the same boat one month ago. Since November 2003 i was on the market for a 993 Turbo or 355 Spider. Made a big search on the net for both on rennlist.com and ferrari.com(great sites with lots of info) Drove several 993 Turbo, from 408Hp to the 430Hp engines and only drove one 355 spider. Well the 993 Turbo is fast and very well build but all cars I saw were a bit worn. The 355 spider had a sport exhaust that made an awful noise, I could barely hear the engine, and the gearbox when cold was very hard to operate it felt an old car school, from the suspension to the gearbox and pedals. I was hopping to come out of the 355 test drive completely amazed, but I wasn´t, it didn´t pleased me as much as I though, and so I end up buying a 996 Cabrio C2. I test drove all these three cars on the same day, and the 996 seemed more refined in every aspect. It may not have the power of a 993Turbo, and the lines of a 355, but it sure didn´t seemed slower than the Ferrari, and it felt more refined than the 993, plus it has more space(I´m 6.2/1,90Mts) more confortable, nice interior and with the factory sport exhaust makes also a beautiful sound, so it made my mind.
Anyway, I still thing that the 993T and 355 Spider have a glamour that a 996 will never achieve, those are really special cars that will remain on car history with their own marc, and the 996 is just another mass production Porsche.
Here´s some pics of my car

Old 02-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Miraculix
Pro

http://www.genesisautosales.com/Drea...ri/page_01.htm

7 pages full of Ferrari pictures..

Warning, you might *** twice..
Old 02-27-2004, 01:38 PM
BigHeadDennis
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by ignacio
the ferrari is a dream and life is too damn short.

btw, do you still own your 355? did you get it new? what color is it? any extra equipment you recommend.? i've already ruled out the "f1" transmission. it's too jerky and that gated shifter is so enticing!

aren't cars fun? i have an appointment on sat to drive a 355. i'll report back my impressions.
Amen - life IS too short. Remember the old saying - you can sleep in your Ferrari, but you can't drive (and pick up hot chicks) in your house. [Well, I've never picked up a hot chick in my 355, other than my wife, but so I've heard.]

My 355 is Rosso Corsa, tan interior - probably the most popular color combination. The 355F1 is the first generation F1 transmission, and is, candidly, not that great - the throttle is still mechanical, and you have to blip it yourself and time it perfectly to make shifts smooth. The 360F1 is much improved, but still somewhat less great than the M3 SMG-II, which itself is still, IMHO, less preferable than a manual stick.

Shifting a 355 is actually really quite easy, once you get used to it. It's a very deliberate, positive action, not at all like shifting, say, an NSX. More like, as the old analogy goes, closing the bolt on a Mannlicher rifle. Ferraris are notorious for having a balky 2nd gear engagement when the car is cold, but the 355 is hugely improved in this regard, though, of course, it shifts better when warm.

Extra equipment? Most owners end up with an aftermarket exhaust, the most popular being Tubi. Lots of owners get a "Challenge Grille", very common, which replaces the solid fiberglass rear vertical panel with a perferated black panel, which drops engine bay temps by 20 degrees or so.

There are some common updates for early 355s that your shop can help you with (only one factory recall, for the fuel lines), but you'll have to pay out of pocket for them. Brakes are fantastic, plenty of power (some get an upgraded engine ECU for more power), great suspension. I replaced the airbag wheel with a momo racing wheel with hub extension for track use, and installed a set of harnesses and a fire supression system. I use 355 Challenge wheels with Pirelli slicks for the track. Most everything else is stock. Test pipes and a c/f airbox might add a bit more power.

vty,

--Dennis
Old 02-27-2004, 01:58 PM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

Originally posted by BigHeadDennis
Amen - life IS too short. Remember the old saying - you can sleep in your Ferrari, but you can't drive (and pick up hot chicks) in your house. [Well, I've never picked up a hot chick in my 355, other than my wife, but so I've heard.]

My 355 is Rosso Corsa, tan interior - probably the most popular color combination. The 355F1 is the first generation F1 transmission, and is, candidly, not that great - the throttle is still mechanical, and you have to blip it yourself and time it perfectly to make shifts smooth. The 360F1 is much improved, but still somewhat less great than the M3 SMG-II, which itself is still, IMHO, less preferable than a manual stick.

Shifting a 355 is actually really quite easy, once you get used to it. It's a very deliberate, positive action, not at all like shifting, say, an NSX. More like, as the old analogy goes, closing the bolt on a Mannlicher rifle. Ferraris are notorious for having a balky 2nd gear engagement when the car is cold, but the 355 is hugely improved in this regard, though, of course, it shifts better when warm.

Extra equipment? Most owners end up with an aftermarket exhaust, the most popular being Tubi. Lots of owners get a "Challenge Grille", very common, which replaces the solid fiberglass rear vertical panel with a perferated black panel, which drops engine bay temps by 20 degrees or so.

There are some common updates for early 355s that your shop can help you with (only one factory recall, for the fuel lines), but you'll have to pay out of pocket for them. Brakes are fantastic, plenty of power (some get an upgraded engine ECU for more power), great suspension. I replaced the airbag wheel with a momo racing wheel with hub extension for track use, and installed a set of harnesses and a fire supression system. I use 355 Challenge wheels with Pirelli slicks for the track. Most everything else is stock. Test pipes and a c/f airbox might add a bit more power.

vty,

--Dennis

Dennis, you mention track use with your 355. I'm curious about the Ferrari community and tracking. I know that regional Ferrari clubs have track days and all that, but in general, are your fellow F-car aficionados track fiends in general as well?

I'm a complete track freak (42 days in the last 9 months),but I don't see too much Ferrari traffic on track. Is part of the story that tracking the car is simply amplifying the inherent "problem" with Ferraris, that being the need for frequent and expensive maintenance, etc?

For someone who tracks all the time, should a 355 or 360 be avoided unless you're completely willing to pay blank check?

I plan to join the Ferrari side at some point in the next several years. I also want to continue to go to the track all the time. I'm just wondering if it is feasible or not use such a car as a 'track car' or not...

your insight would be appreciated..
Old 02-27-2004, 03:18 PM
BigHeadDennis
Instructor

Originally posted by e46 M3 owner...for now
Dennis, you mention track use with your 355. I'm curious about the Ferrari community and tracking. I know that regional Ferrari clubs have track days and all that, but in general, are your fellow F-car aficionados track fiends in general as well?
I hang out with a fair number of Ferrari track freaks up here in New England, but, remember, the nationwide # of Ferrari owners isn't that big to begin with. As a percentage of owners, I don't know if we're more track-active than, say, PCA or BMWCCA members. But, FWIW, about half a dozen of us go to as many track events as possible. The FCA has 6-7 track events in the Northeast each year, at WGI, LCMT, LRP and Pocono.

I'm a complete track freak (42 days in the last 9 months),but I don't see too much Ferrari traffic on track. Is part of the story that tracking the car is simply amplifying the inherent "problem" with Ferraris, that being the need for frequent and expensive maintenance, etc?
Of course, like any other car, the more you exercise the car, the more preventative maintenance the car needs. Aside from stuff like changing oil, replacing rotors, pads and brake fluid, changing transmission oil, etc., you'll have more wear and tear on stuff like wheel bearings etc. OTOH, track people tend to take much better care of their cars, especially compared to garage queens. Bottom line, if you track your car, you'll need to spend more money on it, but that's because you're USING the friggin' thing!

For someone who tracks all the time, should a 355 or 360 be avoided unless you're completely willing to pay blank check?
Well, it's an awfully lot more expensive to fix crash damage....

I plan to join the Ferrari side at some point in the next several years. I also want to continue to go to the track all the time. I'm just wondering if it is feasible or not use such a car as a 'track car' or not...

your insight would be appreciated..
Feasible, but not cheap. Check out a 355/348 Challenge, if you're going to be tracking it a LOT. They CAN be made street legal (prior to 1996 MY); how much street driving you'd want to do in it, though, depends on how sick you are.

Overall, it's a great car that you can take to the track, take on a vacation, take to a local car show, take to work, or just sit and enjoy the view in the garage. Just be prepared to write the periodic check....

Lastly, no matter how awesome your GT2 or Ruf or whatever, it's pretty hard to replace a red Ferrari for eye-ball sucking appeal.

vty,

--Dennis
Old 02-27-2004, 03:25 PM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BigHeadDennis
[B]I hang out with a fair number of Ferrari track freaks up here in New England, but, remember, the nationwide # of Ferrari owners isn't that big to begin with. As a percentage of owners, I don't know if we're more track-active than, say, PCA or BMWCCA members. But, FWIW, about half a dozen of us go to as many track events as possible. The FCA has 6-7 track events in the Northeast each year, at WGI, LCMT, LRP and Pocono.

Of course, like any other car, the more you exercise the car, the more preventative maintenance the car needs. Aside from stuff like changing oil, replacing rotors, pads and brake fluid, changing transmission oil, etc., you'll have more wear and tear on stuff like wheel bearings etc. OTOH, track people tend to take much better care of their cars, especially compared to garage queens. Bottom line, if you track your car, you'll need to spend more money on it, but that's because you're USING the friggin' thing!

Well, it's an awfully lot more expensive to fix crash damage....

Feasible, but not cheap. Check out a 355/348 Challenge, if you're going to be tracking it a LOT. They CAN be made street legal (prior to 1996 MY); how much street driving you'd want to do in it, though, depends on how sick you are.

Overall, it's a great car that you can take to the track, take on a vacation, take to a local car show, take to work, or just sit and enjoy the view in the garage. Just be prepared to write the periodic check....

Lastly, no matter how awesome your GT2 or Ruf or whatever, it's pretty hard to replace a red Ferrari for eye-ball sucking appeal.

Thanks for the reply Dennis. I think we have crossed paths at WGI. Do you have a yellow 996 coupe that your wife drives...and I think y'all are instructors as well, correct?
Old 02-27-2004, 04:10 PM
BigHeadDennis
Instructor

Originally posted by e46 M3 owner...for now
Thanks for the reply Dennis. I think we have crossed paths at WGI. Do you have a yellow 996 coupe that your wife drives...and I think y'all are instructors as well, correct? [/B]
Well, maybe... did I pass you?

It's actually my wife's yellow 996. And, technically, it's her 355 too. And, yes, I'm an instructor....

vty,

--Dennis
Old 02-27-2004, 04:13 PM
e46 M3 owner...for now
Advanced

Originally posted by BigHeadDennis
Well, maybe... did I pass you?

It's actually my wife's yellow 996. And, technically, it's her 355 too. And, yes, I'm an instructor....

vty,

--Dennis
No, no, of course not. No one has ever passed me...

I think I've seen you at a couple Tracquest or Trackmasters events in the garage area of WGI...like drivers meetings and stuff like that.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:31 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you buying the 355 to replace the C4? I think Ferrrari are wounderful works of arts and great weekend cars but a daily driver your nuts. The maintenance is expensive as said before. Also the rougher ride, louder engine, and less comffy seats would get old over due time. Buy it for the weekend, the looks, and bragging rights.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:48 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I empathize with you as I am the son of a Ferrari guy. I was nearly disowned when I went the Pcar route. All of the concerns listed above made the choice obvious. Having driven a 928 and now 996 C4s I knew that Porsche was the best of all worlds FOR ME. But you do sacrifice a little on all fronts- a little less exclusivity, a little less mystique, a little less performance ( not really).

So I did the next best thing- I rented a 355 spyder on our honeymoon in St Tropez. There is nothing like a ferrari in that town. The engine, the sound, the smell, the look. Crusing to Monte Carlo and Canne as well as the back roads of the Cote dAzur, playing with Lambos, Pcars and Modenas in the hills above the sea was fantastic. But traversing France with my wife and luggage was cramped ( women never pack light).

I realized that TO ME the Ferrari was a supermodel- extremely sexy, fun and to die for but not likely to be practical on a daily basis. Great experience, but not forever. When the idea of any routine or small item repair/maintenance could seriously put the deep hurt on you and the calculus of deciding when to drive the Fcar to factor parking, miles, weather, hassle etc is simply too much.

I will always be intrigued by the prospect of owing an Ferrari but the reality of Pcar ownership has exceeded expectations consistantly.

Best,

ScottS
02 C4S

Quick Reply: has anyone here owned a ferrari 355?