996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I like lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 10:03 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I try to restrict my comments to compliments or to walking away in silence - unless someone specifically asks for opinions. This hasn't always been the case, but that's my goal.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:30 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 985 Posts

Interesting thread.

Any time someone modifies their car in a way that's outside the typical modifications seen on the forums, there are emotional responses posted. Personally, I don't give two sh*ts what another person does to their car. If you like it, then go for it. That said, often times people who make unusual modifications act surprised when others react negatively to what they've done. This seems silly to me. It's a bit like having your hair styled in a purple mohawk while working somewhere that's very conservative, then asking people not to judge you, and then acting surprised when they stare at you or say something.

If you decide to step outside of the accepted norms in your peer group, then you will be judged. This is simply human nature. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't do what you want, or that what you're doing is wrong, or that people have a right to be disrespectful. It's just different from what people expect to see. You can't present something that's way outside of what people are used to seeing, and then expect them all to like it or to remain quiet about it.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dennis C:
cwbrown (11-01-2019), joseph mitro (11-01-2019), mrdeezy (11-01-2019), peterp (11-13-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 05:00 PM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Yes Young911, agree. I am trying to find decals that are clear with blacks stripes. No luck so far.

I have a friend looking into making if possible. I guess I should have looked before I painted.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:15 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian996
I graduated in 1985.
Man, you're ancient!
...I graduated in 1985 too.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:13 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Man, you're ancient!
...I graduated in 1985 too.
Graduated from what?
Old 10-31-2019, 10:20 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
In my view, discussions on forums should roughly mirror real-world face-to-face conversations. That's the standard I try to hold myself to anyway. It wasn't long ago that people would blurt out crap they would never say in a face-to-face conversation. I think that has changed.
I respectfully disagree and that's the beauty of forums especially ones that protect privacy. People in face-to-face discussions don't always feel comfortable to offer strong opinions because of the threat of backlash or being reprimanded. Fortunately, in my world, people are taught to challenge thought and processes. The beauty of academia. Life long learning. We push each other like a coach in weight training. But we do it tactfully without being threatening or demeaning.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:42 AM
Argeo
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

If I wouldn't say it face to face, I am not typing it period. Disagreeing is fine but being a d#ck is another thing. Just my opinion.
The following 4 users liked this post by Argeo:
808Bill (11-01-2019), Optionman1 (11-01-2019), pesuazo (11-01-2019), peterp (11-13-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 01:46 PM
cwbrown
Racer

Received 346 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm thinking of getting a GT2 wing on my C4S........only because I-Me-My-self think it looks great.
I know some will disagree with the move....but I'm not putting it on for anyone else but myself.
In my opinion the more cars out there that I think are distasteful make my car stand out even more.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:53 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Do I like it? Not that much. Am I from the 70s: check. Did I care to comment? Not really.

What’s the big deal? Brian likes it, his wife likes it, and it’s his car. Rock on!

I’m amassing parts to mod my 996. You may hate it, but I will probably enjoy the heck out of it. Will I share it? Probably. Will I freak out if someone hates it or says something negative? I sure hope not.

To each their own.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:30 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I respectfully disagree and that's the beauty of forums especially ones that protect privacy. People in face-to-face discussions don't always feel comfortable to offer strong opinions because of the threat of backlash or being reprimanded. Fortunately, in my world, people are taught to challenge thought and processes. The beauty of academia. Life long learning. We push each other like a coach in weight training. But we do it tactfully without being threatening or demeaning.
Originally Posted by Argeo
If I wouldn't say it face to face, I am not typing it period. Disagreeing is fine but being a d#ck is another thing. Just my opinion.
agree with Argeo. the anonymity of the internet makes it much easier to be rude, disrespectful etc. I unfortunately have to include myself in that category sometimes.
IMO the far more common scenario on this (or ANY) forum is posters making rude or derogatory remarks

@Brian996 it's not really my style of customization, but the lighting effect on the ground is certainly cool. I've seen lifted trucks around here with LED lights inside the wheel wells. that's pretty cool
Old 11-03-2019, 02:40 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I get what your saying,, but Academia is not the norm.
Not everybody takes certain types of comments as discussion.. Some types of
comments are off limits. The purveyor of the poor choice in words sometimes finds
the cost higher than they might be prepared for. They think the internet protects them.
I've tracked a couple folks down when it suited me, Just to see the look on their face.. Priceless..
The following 2 users liked this post by pdxmotorhead:
808Bill (11-03-2019), peterp (11-13-2019)

Quick Reply: I like lights