996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

GPS Options (any iQue users?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 03:49 PM
krisd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Dell Axim with the Socket Communications Bluetooth GPS receiver and software. I bought a SENA leather cover for the Dell and the flap fits perfectly in the gap between the upper and lower console to hold the unit to where the screen is easy to read. The GPS unit works great, is very small and has no wires. I am not concerned about the GPS unit exploding because I will never park my car in the sun. The battery lasts for about 10-12 hours on a single charge. I also have a line in for the stereo that I usually use with my iRiver 40G MP3 player. It fits perfectly in the console and also has a wired remote that I clip to my seat belt which makes it very easy to operate. (As a side note, the iRiver has both optical and coaxial digital outputs, so I was curious if it would work with the later model Bose systems.) As far as the sound on the Dell, I copied a lot of MP3 files to the SD card that holds the maps for the navigation software, so if I want the voice navigation, I just plug the Dell into the line in and can listen to the MP3's and the navigation voice chimes in when needed. It is not quite as good as a built in unit, but I can use it in other cars, including rental cars or when traveling with friends. I have also used it on my ski boat to calibrate the speedo's and am also looking for some software that has maps of the Sacramento Delta. Since there are no wires I can also just hand it to my kids if they are riding with me and they provide the voice portion of the navigation, they get a real kick out of it.

Kris

Quick Reply: GPS Options (any iQue users?)