Becker Silverstone 7860

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Mike Blaszczak
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Becker Silverstone 7860

Hi, Ya'll.

I have a '99 C4 coupe, and the factory-installed CDC-3 disc changer failed last month.

I exchanged some email with the guys at continetnalimports.com, and they told me that the Becker Silverstone 7860 would be a drop-in replacement.

They sent along the player, and the electrical connections in the car are indeed an exact match for the new player.

But I can't find a way to physically mount the player. The bracket they sent has Porsche part number 996 645 231 00, and it seems like it would fit the car. But it doesn't have any screw holes that align with the player itself.

Has anyone else done this replacement? Does anyone know if I have the right bracket, or what the part number for the correct bracket is?

.B ekiM
Old 02-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...t=0&#entry4739

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showt...=&threadid=722

Becker discontinued the 2660 changer which is the same as the Porsche CDC-3. The replacement is the 7860 and it is a smaller unit that will not directly mount on the factory bracket as you have discovered.

Scott has an adapter bracket and I asked him if it would work on a C4 since your changer is mounted flat unlike a C2/Boxster. He said he has sold the bracket to C4 owners and no one complained.

Read the links if you want. If you ever get your hands on the adapter would you take some pictures and send them to me. Got tired of asking Scott. Jeff
Old 02-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Mike Blaszczak
Intermediate

Thanks for your note, Tool Pants.

He said he has sold the bracket to C4 owners and no one complained.
Indeed, Scott said he'd be sending a bracket that would work. But it's exactly the same as the stock bracket in my car. I've written to him to see if he had sent the wrong bracket by mistake.

As I described in my original post, it fits the car just fine, but it doesn't fit the player itself.

.B ekiM
Old 02-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Either you or I are confused.

If you had a factory changer then you already have the factory mounting bracket. The part number you gave is the factory mounting bracket for a C4 which you should already have. Continential should have sent you the adapter, not the factory bracket. The adapter should permit you to mount the smaller 7860 on the factory bracket that should already be in your car.

Please send me some pictures of the adapter and the changer when it is installed. Jeff
Old 02-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Mike Blaszczak
Intermediate

Rehi, Tool Pants.

If you had a factory changer
The car was ordered (and delivered) with the CDC-3 changer. I said this in my original note.

Continential should have sent you the adapter, not the factory bracket.
They did not. Like I said, they sent a bracket that exactly matches the bracket which I pulled when I removed the original CD changer. Again, that bracket fits the car perfectly, but doesn't fit the CD changer.

Which facts have I confused?

.B ekiM
Old 02-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

You said you received a bracket that was identical to the bracket already in your car.

Then you said, indeed, Scott would be sending a bracket that would work - but it's exactly the same as the stock bracket in your car. I have no idea what you are being sent.

You need the adapter to mate the 7860 changer to your stock bracket. Send back the oem bracket and let's see a picture of the adapter. Jeff
Old 02-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Mike Blaszczak
Intermediate

I have no idea what you are being sent.
I'm sorry; I thought I had made it clear what I had received.

Continential should have sent you the adapter, not the factory bracket.
It seems that this is the problem, then. Scott said he would send a bracket that would work, but sent only the factory bracket and no adapter. Hopefully, he'll make it right soon.

.B ekiM

Quick Reply: Becker Silverstone 7860