Sponsored by:

Price Check: 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 10:10 AM
Trevor Wills
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Price Check: 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

Hi, I'm looking at a 2002 996 Carrera 4S for sale by private owner. It's currently listed at $26,500. Wondering what you guys think it's actually worth? Photos posted below.

-86,000 Miles
-Manual Transmission
-Silver with Black Interior
-Clean History, no accident carfax (that's what the listing says but he does not have a carfax)The Vin is WP0AA299X2S621624 if anyone has access to running a carfax.
-Owner says IMS was done by previous owner, or at least the dealer he bought it from told him but doesn't have any documentation for that. Hoping the Carfax will clear that up.

Old 08-03-2019, 10:25 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor Wills
Hi, I'm looking at a 2002 996 Carrera 4S for sale by private owner. It's currently listed at $26,500. Wondering what you guys think it's actually worth? Photos posted below.

-86,000 Miles
-Manual Transmission
-Silver with Black Interior
-Clean History, no accident carfax (that's what the listing says but he does not have a carfax)The Vin is WP0AA299X2S621624 if anyone has access to running a carfax.
-Owner says IMS was done by previous owner, or at least the dealer he bought it from told him but doesn't have any documentation for that. Hoping the Carfax will clear that up.
The price is pretty fair for a C4S, but without the IMS documentation, I would say it's worth a little less. You should also get a PPI done and have the cylinder bores scoped. But nice example of a 996 C4S.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor Wills (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 10:27 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Build sheet is available on vinanalytics.com

i have 03 c4s same color, great car. Get a thorough PPI, know what the follow up costs are going to be. Mid 20s if its in good shape would be fair in my opinion, especially if you can confirm IMS has been done.

BaT auction few days ago saw an 03, 1 owner, with 59k miles go for approximately 32k after all costs. Bearing was done already. Good luck
Old 08-03-2019, 10:31 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

I'd snap it up if I was in the market. The C4S sells at a premium, and aren't as easy to find. That looks like a nice clean example. If you can get it for $25K, I think you'll have done really well. Even asking price feels fair to me. Based on the ones I've looked at I think it could fetch high $20's or 30k easily. Don't dick around or you risk someone walking in with cash and beating you to it.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:57 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 636 Posts

My .02, I agree with cds. If you factor roughly $4k to do clutch, IMS, AOS (if required), $26k could be a nice price.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:30 PM
Trevor Wills
Track Day

I'm digging into the history now to see if I can find some documentation. If it has the IMS/clutch done I think mid 20's is a good price. I'll definitely be getting a PPI before I make a decision.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:37 PM
pdizzle1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WALK AWAY.

Who is the seller?

This VIN was for sale at a Loeber Porsche in Chicago a few months ago. I had discussed purchasing it too as the price was very good (less than this now). I had set up a PPI and told them it would include dropping the pan and cutting open the oil filter to check for debris. A few days before the PPI the dealer called and said they had done their own oil change and found metal chunks in the oil. They said they didn't even want to sell the car anymore and risk tarnishing their Porsche dealership name and would wholesale the car. This is the same VIN.

Loeber was stand-up in disclosing and saved me an $800 PPI bill. I'm hoping it is not them selling again and someone else is flipping a bad car...
Old 08-03-2019, 12:46 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 468 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by pdizzle1
WALK AWAY.

Who is the seller?

This VIN was for sale at a Loeber Porsche in Chicago a few months ago. I had discussed purchasing it too as the price was very good (less than this now). I had set up a PPI and told them it would include dropping the pan and cutting open the oil filter to check for debris. A few days before the PPI the dealer called and said they had done their own oil change and found metal chunks in the oil. They said they didn't even want to sell the car anymore and risk tarnishing their Porsche dealership name and would wholesale the car. This is the same VIN.

Loeber was stand-up in disclosing and saved me an $800 PPI bill. I'm hoping it is not them selling again and someone else is flipping a bad car...
So did they whole sale it or something? That is a shame.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:48 PM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

WALK AWAY.

Who is the seller?

Holy crap! rennlist to the rescue!
Old 08-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Trevor Wills
Track Day

WALK AWAY.

Who is the seller?

Thanks, I was also skeptical of this because when I looked up the vin the dealership popped up. Listed at the same milage it's posted at now so I was wondering what the deal was. I contacted the dealership and asked me to send all the vehicle history they had and they will be getting back to me soon. I have a feeling your story will check out. Too bad, looks like a great C4S, and whoever is selling is being pretty shady. I might keep investigating just for fun.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:01 PM
pdizzle1
Advanced

Originally Posted by motoo344
So did they whole sale it or something? That is a shame.
Maybe...or maybe the private party who is selling now bought the car with full disclosure from Loeber knowlingly. If that is the case I bet they negotiated the price even lower than list at that time and stand to make a nice profit by screwing someone else over. I had a fairly long discussion with the sales manager who was very up front about the whole situation. The car was apparently a trade-in from their Benz sister dealership and then transferred over to the Porsche dealership. I suspect the previous owner knew the motor didn't have much longer and traded the car in. But this is all conjecture on my part.

In the end I felt like I had dodged a bullet. Moral of the story is always get a PPI and I like to include the oil pan drop, filter check, compression test and borescope in mine. It raises the cost dramatically from your run of the mill $150 visuals, but brings so much piece of mind. In the case of this particular car, just the mention of the full work PPI brought about the disclosure and I didn't have to go through with it and pay $800 to realize the car was not worth it. The gift keeps on giving because I can share this with you all as well
Old 08-03-2019, 01:36 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Maybe...or maybe the private party who is selling now bought the car with full disclosure from Loeber knowlingly. If that is the case I bet they negotiated the price even lower than list at that time and stand to make a nice profit by screwing someone else over. I had a fairly long discussion with the sales manager who was very up front about the whole situation. The car was apparently a trade-in from their Benz sister dealership and then transferred over to the Porsche dealership. I suspect the previous owner knew the motor didn't have much longer and traded the car in. But this is all conjecture on my part.

In the end I felt like I had dodged a bullet. Moral of the story is always get a PPI and I like to include the oil pan drop, filter check, compression test and borescope in mine. It raises the cost dramatically from your run of the mill $150 visuals, but brings so much piece of mind. In the case of this particular car, just the mention of the full work PPI brought about the disclosure and I didn't have to go through with it and pay $800 to realize the car was not worth it. The gift keeps on giving because I can share this with you all as well

PPI is always a smart move, can't imagine buying mine without it. We have seen two threads here in the last few days talking about cars that ended up with or possible engine failure.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:39 PM
Trevor Wills
Track Day

I'm waiting on information from Loeber Porsche in Chicago to see what they know. I'll keep the thread updated. The private owner selling this car claims that the dealership said it was ok, and the IMS was complete but has no documentation. Quite fishy now.. I'm checking with him again to see what else he's willing to admit.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:46 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

I'm waiting on information from Loeber Porsche in Chicago to see what they know. I'll keep the thread updated. The private owner selling this car claims that the dealership said it was ok, and the IMS was complete but has no documentation. Quite fishy now.. I'm checking with him again to see what else he's willing to admit.
I would definitely dig deeper, I would have a hard time taking someones word on a repair like that.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:53 PM
pdizzle1
Advanced

IMHO the car is not worth consideration unless you are trying to get a roller. BUT if you are just curious to the story have at it.

The biggest question is why would the current seller be selling the car so soon? It was at Loeber a few months ago. Seems really odd. They either:

-bought to flip and didn't do their own PPI including oil pan check and still are oblivious to the problem
-know of the problem and are still trying to flip it
-didn't buy with the intention to flip and discovered the problem and now are trying to offload
-didn't buy with the intention to flip and don't know of the problem, and just got bored with the car in a few months (least likely)

There is also the chance that the current seller did do a thorough PPI and it found nothing b.c the dealer had the oil changed...

Most of the questions I'd direct to the seller:

1) Did you do a PPI with oil pan check. If so, can you see it.
2) Why are you selling it only after a few months?