Sponsored by:

Radio stuck in dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio stuck in dash

I just got a pair of removal tools and tried to remove the radio. The tools went in fine, clicked in place and then I could not budge the radio. I messed for a while and got no where. So I disassembled the dash somewhat and pulled the unit part way out with by unfastening the brackets. I was able to see the blue retainers and removed the tools, then put them back a few times to prove they worked. I put everything back together then and did not try again, but even while loose the radio did not want to let go of the braket somehow.

Anyone had trouble like this? What could be going on that I need to do different or am not doing at all? I nearly cut my fingers off pulling the ring of the tools. I am puzzled.

Bill
Old 02-18-2004, 10:25 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just removed the CDR 220 on my '02 996 a few days ago in order to install the auxiliary inputs for my MP3 player. I had read from several people that it often takes a really strong pull on the two rings of the keys to pull the radio (several people suggested padding the rings with cloth so as not to cut your fingers). After all that, I must say that my radio came out quite easily with a gently tug, and also went back in easily.

Not sure if that helps, just my experience.

Andy
Old 02-19-2004, 01:42 AM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you have the tools inserted properly? Only after I had I inserted mine did I realize the little arrows stamped on them. Still, it takes a very hard pull. And when you insert it back in, you have to angle it a little down as I recall to get it into the sleeve that starts a few inches back from the dash fascia.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:32 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have removed a few radios. Some take more effort than others to remove, but they end up pulled out.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:40 AM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I said I did check the operation of the tools or keys, and they pulled in the blue locks just fine. I suppose the radio is just stuck to the bracket and I will have to pull harder. Using a rag or something will be necessary as I like all my fingers!

Thanks, I wanted to test the problemt to be sure I did not mess up the mounting somehow, so I am comfortable to yank it out now.

Bill
Old 02-19-2004, 01:19 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can put a screwdriver in the round end and then pull.

Quick Reply: Radio stuck in dash