Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Any recourse against buying a car "as-is" from a dealer w/ bore scoring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 03:07 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

It doesn't sound as bad as I was expecting but the fact that it's drinking oil and you are noticing oil spitting out of the exhaust is not good. I was hoping it might have an exhaust leak of some sort.

Also, if the oil is spitting out the driver's side tail pipe and you are hearing the ticking from the pass. side of the engine confirms that the issue is confined to the pass. side cylinder banks. The D/S tail pipe is for the pass. side of the engine.

Can you take the spark plugs out on the pass. side of the engine and inspect them? If you are able to take them out, make sure you label them so you know which position they were in on the engine.

I'm hoping for the best for you!
Old 06-28-2019, 03:59 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by merlot
I can hear some ticking but at fast idle a little hard to hear. Doesn't sound all that bad to me. Only experience I have listening is to my own car, so no expert here. I was expecting worse too. It does sound like there is an exhaust leak in there, as well. Oil usage and spitting out of drivers exhaust can indicate scoring, but I'm still unconvinced. Yes to above: pull plugs on passenger side looking for oil/deposits. While plugs out boroscope cylinders with pistons at BTC.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:48 PM
merlot
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
It doesn't sound as bad as I was expecting but the fact that it's drinking oil and you are noticing oil spitting out of the exhaust is not good. I was hoping it might have an exhaust leak of some sort.

Also, if the oil is spitting out the driver's side tail pipe and you are hearing the ticking from the pass. side of the engine confirms that the issue is confined to the pass. side cylinder banks. The D/S tail pipe is for the pass. side of the engine.

Can you take the spark plugs out on the pass. side of the engine and inspect them? If you are able to take them out, make sure you label them so you know which position they were in on the engine.

I'm hoping for the best for you!
Originally Posted by wildbilly32
I can hear some ticking but at fast idle a little hard to hear. Doesn't sound all that bad to me. Only experience I have listening is to my own car, so no expert here. I was expecting worse too. It does sound like there is an exhaust leak in there, as well. Oil usage and spitting out of drivers exhaust can indicate scoring, but I'm still unconvinced. Yes to above: pull plugs on passenger side looking for oil/deposits. While plugs out boroscope cylinders with pistons at BTC.
I usually hear the ticking when it's reflecting off walls or cars as I drive by, and it's definitely amplified compared to the video. I'll be performing an oil change next week so maybe I'll pull the plugs as well.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:47 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Exhaust leak can make a ferocious ticking as well.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:51 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by merlot
I can hear the classic "piston slap" ticking sound associated with cylinder bore scoring over top of the rough exhaust noise. Get yourself a cheap bore scope and examine #6 and report back. Not trying to add insult to injury, but my vote is you'll find scoring on bank#2. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Any recourse against buying a car "as-is" from a dealer w/ bore scoring?