996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Introduction and a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 08:50 AM
Mr. Doug
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and a few questions...

Hey gang!

I signed up for this forum 15y ago under CptTripps but that password and email address are long gone. I used to do a lot with 914s and was quite active on 914world. Anyway...I’m headed to the “Dark Side” now and going water cooled.

I’ve been looking at 996s for a few months now, and found one I’m interested in. Ive been over the car on a lift and it seems well sorted enough. PO said the IMS was some, but I’ve got no documentation on that, so I don’t trust it. Better safe than sorry. I’ve got to find a local (Cleveland) Porsche mechanic, so that’s the first question. Anyone from Cleveland OH have a recommendation on a good independent shop around here?

Second question is the rims. I really don’t like the rims on this car, but I can’t find a lot of pics of them to tell what they’re called, and what they might be worth to sell. I’d like to sell them after I take delivery of the car and go for something that doesn’t look like they belong on a dentist’s 911. Here’s a link to the listing2002 C4 Cabrio 6MT)

https://www.renauto.org/mobile/mdeta...x?vid=27101292

I was able to negotiate what I feel is a fair price for a car that from my inspections, only really needs a good bath and some elbow grease.

I’m also planning on adding a double-DIN CarPlay radio and relocating the climate controls. Is the factory head unit powering the speakers, or does it go through an amplifier? I’m looking at a few different radio options. Some are amplified, and others are not. Is there a way to tell? I’d like to order stuff this weekend so I can start working on it next week.

T

hanks for the help, everyone. It’s appreciated.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:24 AM
pcasanova
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

First, having special characters with your username makes it hard to tag you, just a FYI.

Congrats if you get it. Looks nice, like the color combo, also a huge fan of the AWD.

For mechanic, there are several here in your area that could help, but you can start here https://www.pcarshops.com/search?q=cleveland%2C%20oh for an idea.

I had the OEM sport design wheels, and really liked them. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-details.html
But for more options check out https://wheeldynamics.com/all-porsche-wheels.html

For stereo options & info, check out https://cai-store.com/collections/99...audio-upgrades

Best of Luck!
Old 06-15-2019, 10:58 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

Old 06-15-2019, 11:08 AM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 329 Posts

Congrats and welcome, love my 911 cab. One of the few cars out there I actually like in coupe and convertible form and still perform well as a convertible. Wheels are tough for these IMO because not many people make 5x130, decent options in the 19" range but I prefer 18" myself.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:20 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

The 5-spoke Carrera 2 wheels are the gold standard for me.

Not mine, just a sample on a cab.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:48 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I just did the double-din last weekend and was very pleased how it turned out. Crutchfield can help with amplified / non-amplified. In my case I had the base system so no door speakers, you may or may not have the amp in the frunk. Either way they can help. If you do order from Crutchfield, they give you the option for $25 to pre-wire the adapter to the factory connectors - well worth it in my opinion - it made the wiring foolproof and very fast.

The Metra kit works very well - not quite factory quality plastic but pretty close. I found the hardest thing to do was routing the HVAC wiring to the lower position - fairly large connectors and small hole to push them through. Everything else is pretty straightforward. Happy to offer any specific tips - there are a bunch of us on here that have done this.
Daryll
Old 06-16-2019, 07:57 AM
Mr. Doug
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks gang.

I’m down to two cars now. Both 02 C4.

All down to my bank at this point. (Financing for 2y to keep the GF happy.)

Ill post pics this week when I have one in my driveway.

Quick Reply: Introduction and a few questions...