Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 09:20 PM
Fixxxer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question AOS Coolant Flow Direction?

Hey guys,

Long story short:
I need to know which way the coolant flows into and out of the AOS.

Details:
My 2004 996 started leaking coolant from the expansion tank, so today I started the job of replacing it. However, after I got the tank out, I noticed that the lowest coolant hose that you have to take off had a plastic nipple on it that has snapped off. I've called every shop and dealership in town and nobody has a replacement hose in stock. The 996 is my daily driver, so I have to get it fixed by Monday.

The plastic fitting that snapped off leads to the Air-Oil-Separator. Since I live in SC and don't really need coolant going to my AOS because it's always hot as hell, I'd like to bypass it - just to get me back on the road before Monday. My question is: which direction does the coolant flow? The AOS has a fitting at the top, and there's one on the side. The one on the top connects to the hose that goes into the coolant expansion tank via the fitting that snapped off. The one on the side of the AOS appears to go straight back into the water pump (or maybe the thermostat housing). I'm thinking that I can temporarily bypass it by plugging one of the two coolant lines from the AOS, but I want to make sure it's the correct one - the one with positive pressure.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2019, 09:28 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Coolant goes from #13 into the AOS then return to the engine (the T split) via #12

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=104-10
Old 06-14-2019, 10:03 PM
Fixxxer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are the best. Thank you!

Quick Reply: AOS Coolant Flow Direction?