Sponsored by:

2001 996 factory navigation problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 10:48 PM
Blight
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 996 factory navigation problem

My screen stopped working after replacing the battery. The cassette and radio still work. I’ve checked all the fuses and they all are good. I’m assuming the lcd screen just stopped working. Anybody have experience changing the navigation/ radio into a aftermarket double din head unit? I’ve been looking for hours but have only found tutorials for replacing the Becker radio.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:57 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Your replacement is actually easier than those of us within the standard radio - your HVAC is already in the lower location, and you will not have to cut up the large plastic air vent / radio holder piece. Same Metra kit will work for you - any double din will work. Just did mine today - Crutchfield was great to work with - I bought the Sony AV-1000 and had them do the wiring harness - all in was about $300.
Great upgrade.
Darylll
Old 06-09-2019, 11:03 PM
Blight
Cruisin'

Sweet. The harness was going to be my next question. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2019, 12:22 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Blight
The cassette and radio still work.
You still use cassettes? Let me guess... Barry Manilow?
Old 06-10-2019, 01:19 PM
Blight
Cruisin'

No haha. I use the cassette for the audio cable.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:04 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Sweet. The harness was going to be my next question. Thank you!
Porsche actually make the harness long enough that the HVAC could go either in the top position or all the way in the lowest position - that is the good news. The bad news is that getting the harness run down into the lower console is fairly difficult - just a lot of wires are already there, and there is not a lot of room to squeeze the connectors through. But it is do-able. Yours should be much faster - on mine I had to cut the big plastic piece that holds the radio in place which I don’t think you will have to do.
Daryll
Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Blight
Cruisin'

My hvac is already in the lowest spot. I think I got lucky with this install. It looks like I just have to swap the navigation head unit with my new double din headunit and take out the navigation cd reader. I’m not sure what to put there yet. Possibly just a tray.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:01 AM
Blight
Cruisin'

Old 06-11-2019, 10:11 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Nice! Love the 80s style cassette line adapter. I used to this when with my CD player back when most of the cars were cassette.

As a side note, they make a iPhone adapter that can be plugged into the AUX input on the PCM 1. Can't do it on the PCM 2 or later since they moved to a digital fiber optic system (i.e. MOST) in 2003.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:15 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

My hvac is already in the lowest spot. I think I got lucky with this install. It looks like I just have to swap the navigation head unit with my new double din headunit and take out the navigation cd reader. I’m not sure what to put there yet. Possibly just a tray.

Yea, I wouldn't put much money into these old PCM 1 units. You can buy them used on eBay, but the navigation system on the PCM 1 is obsolete. Most people are getting the double din cage/bezel for aftermarket units. Someone here on Rennlist just posted a picture of a nice Sony double din unit from Crutchfield. Very nice. Might wanna check it out. You should be able to reuse the factory amp and speakers with the correct wire harness. Some people go all out and change the amp and speakers. Be careful, the door speakers have a 2 ohm impedance. Standard 4 ohm speakers wouldn't work as well in theory.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Part of the Metra kit is a new cubby and surround for the lower console. One piece - goes around the HVAC and also is the cubby. Held in by the two side pieces - very clever design. Not quite the same quality as a factory Porsche cubby (no "ribbed" bottom) but it still looks pretty good. You will not need to touch your actual HVAC display - just remove the CD reader and the new piece fits right in.
Daryll
Old 06-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Blight
Cruisin'

Thanks for all the help guys. I’ll post some pictures when I get it all installed.

Quick Reply: 2001 996 factory navigation problem