Sponsored by:

Got her back

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Got her back

Well I got the car back from the body shop after I was sideswiped on a road near home. The guy was a straight up guy and admitted responsibility for the accident. So no payments on my side. The rear tire had a chunk out of it so they replaced the one and I bought the other side since they had 15K miles on them. I figure I got 2 tires for the price of 1. My shop is excellent. The owner is as OCD as any of his customers. Car looks new and I was able to have him install the new tailpipes my kids got me for my birthday.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:46 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Nice. Glad it worked out. That is my favorite tailpipe look!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:06 PM
su8pack1
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks good.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:55 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Good that you documented the damage...it WILL show up on CarFax....but having the pix and repair bills is a good hedge...people get upset about "ACCIDENT" on CarFax...sometimes it is just a really minor damage ..like yours...(keep the pix with the Owners Manual for the next owner..)..
Old 06-08-2019, 05:58 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by dak911
Good that you documented the damage...it WILL show up on CarFax....but having the pix and repair bills is a good hedge...people get upset about "ACCIDENT" on CarFax...sometimes it is just a really minor damage ..like yours...(keep the pix with the Owners Manual for the next owner..)..
Good idea. Done!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:59 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Nice. Glad it worked out. That is my favorite tailpipe look!
Thanks. Always wanted these and finally got them.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:55 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 957 Likes on 598 Posts

The body work looks very impressive! What did they end up doing for the metal work? I’ve been told that the panel is double-walled so it has to be replaced, and I’ve been told it can be drilled and pulled, and I’ve been...so what was their method? Because it appears your car looks great again. Also, how much did they end up respraying? Because the photos show a uniform color and sheen from the front of the door all the way back. Cheers!
Old 06-09-2019, 05:49 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
The body work looks very impressive! What did they end up doing for the metal work? I’ve been told that the panel is double-walled so it has to be replaced, and I’ve been told it can be drilled and pulled, and I’ve been...so what was their method? Because it appears your car looks great again. Also, how much did they end up respraying? Because the photos show a uniform color and sheen from the front of the door all the way back. Cheers!
They did thee entire front door, the rear quarter and just about half the tonneau cover. The tonneau was from a paint chip that the car came with and bugged me for 3 years. Regarding the bodywork we discussed inferential methods and decided to repair the original panel rather than replace since the Carfax report would be different with a repaired panel
rather than a replaced panel. That’s why it took 2 ½ weeks. He used welded pullers and the a lot of hammer and dolly. The guy is a magician. And yes the paint match looks perfect. I’m a happy camper.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:50 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice job! Must feel good to have that repair behind you.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:16 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by Barn996
Nice job! Must feel good to have that repair behind you.
I missed her. She runs so well.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:29 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
It may show up on carfax and it may not. The amount faith people put in carfax is unbelievable at times.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:15 AM
HBi_Auto
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it worked out for you! At one point I spent a lot of time in the body repair business, it is very tedious work and requires a special person to get the job done right. Great looking car too!
Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by HBi_Auto
Glad it worked out for you! At one point I spent a lot of time in the body repair business, it is very tedious work and requires a special person to get the job done right. Great looking car too!
Thank you. Yes the owner has been doing bodywork for 40 years. He loves it and it shows in the work. He said my not calling to rush him helped but it was tough not to call. Glad I held off. And thanks for the compliment on the car. Been a lot of work to get her right but I think I’m there.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:51 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
Thank you. Yes the owner has been doing bodywork for 40 years. He loves it and it shows in the work. He said my not calling to rush him helped but it was tough not to call. Glad I held off. And thanks for the compliment on the car. Been a lot of work to get her right but I think I’m there.
I'm glad it worked out so well! As of yesterday, I'm now in the same boat as you were; I was minding my out business and a work truck decided they wanted to be in my lane and "didn't see me". Insurance companies are talking to each other now. Word of advice to all, make sure your carrier has OEM parts coverage as part of your policy and you can insure for a specific amount. Get 3 bids for the work and NEVER accept what is offered UNLESS it fully covers the work you need done to bring it back to original (pre accident) condition. I've fought carriers a few times on various projects (professionally) and they send the check to you, hoping you'll deposit it which closes their financial responsibility. I tell them NOT to send a check until I am satisfied with the settlement.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Ouch!

Good luck with the repair. I'm sure she'll be as good as new when completed.

Quick Reply: Got her back