Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Super Stiff Clutches? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1146671-super-stiff-clutches.html)

TheYoung911 06-12-2019 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by cds72911 (Post 15901371)
I see what you are saying, thanks.

I don't suspect a typical sport clutch (I think Sachs makes one) would be too harsh on a daily driver or lead to excessive wear. Only my opinion though, no facts to support it.

When I had a heavily sprung clutch, it also had a four puck Kevlar clutch disk with no springs. It had two modes - on and off. Combined with a lightweight flywheel, it grabbed immediately, there was no dampening, and very little mass, so it was very tricky to relearn taking off from a standstill. It also had a supercharged engine from another model, a sturdier gearbox and a quaiffe did. I suspect the wear in that case happened in all kinds of other places in the driveline.

Oh man. I have to admit, everything about what you just described is what i want to do with the car i have, Get it up to 400, get a light weight flywheel and a quaife ATB diff :p but in reality, Ill be lucky to even get the Diff

TheYoung911 06-12-2019 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by 808Bill (Post 15902161)

Oh man that is a really pretty color

dan_189 06-12-2019 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by TheYoung911 (Post 15902162)
Oh man. I have to admit, everything about what you just described is what i want to do with the car i have, Get it up to 400, get a light weight flywheel and a quaife ATB diff :p but in reality, Ill be lucky to even get the Diff

FYI a LWFW won't net you any power - it just changes the way power is delivered (just in case thats what you were referring to - if not disregard). It's not recommended on the M96 the engine is not designed for it.

Some run a LWFW and take the risk but its not recommended. Previous owner put one in my car I removed it.

dak911 06-12-2019 06:45 AM

That IS the color, I have never seen a 996/997 in that color....(or any green for that matter)

Porschetech3 06-12-2019 03:06 PM

Don't use a pressure plate stronger than necessary to hold the torque/power of the engine. The 3.4 uses about 1600 lbs pressure, the 3.6 about 1800 lbs, the 3.8s use about 2100 lbs.

When the clutch pedal is depressed, the pressure needed to release the clutch disc is countered directly by the thrust bearing in the center of the crankshaft. ( the small half-moon shaped plain bearings) . These bearings keep the crankshaft from moving forward and backward, the force from the clutch is directly applied to the bearing on the clutch side. Increasing the pressure above what is needed to hold the torque/power adds unnecessary wear/pressure to the thrust bearings. Also never sit at traffic lights for long periods of time with the clutch depressed.

The helper spring in the dash does not increase/ decrease the actual pressure exerted by the clutch, it only effects the "pedal feel" and is installed to make clutch release effort less.

It is also worth noting that a soft engagement is also very easy on the drivetrain. I have seen aggressive clutch discs along with high pressure plates bust gears in the trans on quick shifts. A soft engagement or slight slip is a good thing here.

Mike Murphy 06-12-2019 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Porschetech3 (Post 15903189)
A soft engagement or slight slip is a good thing here.

My 996 appear to have lots of slip if driven incorrectly (slamming the clutch closed with WOT when RPMs are not matched). My friend doing this type of driving was complaining that the clutch isn’t strong. I told him the 996 isn’t meant to be slammed around like that. My clutch never slips when I drive it, and it behaves very smooth and feels great otherwise.

Porschetech3 06-12-2019 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978 (Post 15903785)
My 996 appear to have lots of slip if driven incorrectly (slamming the clutch closed with WOT when RPMs are not matched). My friend doing this type of driving was complaining that the clutch isn’t strong. I told him the 996 isn’t meant to be slammed around like that. My clutch never slips when I drive it, and it behaves very smooth and feels great otherwise.

Sounds like your friend was trying to see if he could/ would break your car. I would return the favor or worse. Ask to drive his car, then stop dead still, floor the accelerator, count one one thousand, then side step the clutch. Do that a couple times to heat up the tires, then once more except count to two thousand, on some sticky pavement. If it is still roasting the rear tires and hasn't broken an axle, differential, or trans, tell his clutch is OK...he should thank you for testing it...lol

Mike Murphy 06-12-2019 10:50 PM

Lol, yeah, I think he was just quite inexperienced.