Sponsored by:

996 Losing power!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 09:25 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TheYoung911
They do work for a reputable Porsche dealer in my area so I’d say so. They have worked in my car for as long as I’ve owned it.
Sounds good I guess, keep us posted
Old 06-03-2019, 10:07 AM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Will do hopefully it’s not bad!
Old 06-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Rdrcr
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm hoping for something simple and inexpensive! Fingers crossed!

Mike
Old 06-03-2019, 01:53 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

All of the wet things in those photos are coolant related. That plug is the coolant drain. The pulley is the water pump. I would first look at the coolant level. There are coolant hoses in the area of that leak. Maybe you just have a loose/ damaged hose.

I wouldn't run the engine until the root cause is known.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:20 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Default Update

Good News!
The car lives another day!

Took the car to my indy and they checked it out and then flushed my coolant system. based on my description, it seems that the car was overheating and that my temp sensors were bad. Having flushed the system the car started right up and all is well. They went on to change a gasket to be safe and the new temp sensors are going to be installed tomorrow. Good news for me as I really thought this would be the end of my car, and I was just starting to get used to it here!
Old 06-03-2019, 07:25 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Good News!
The car lives another day!

Took the car to my indy and they checked it out and then flushed my coolant system. based on my description, it seems that the car was overheating and that my temp sensors were bad. Having flushed the system the car started right up and all is well. They went on to change a gasket to be safe and the new temp sensors are going to be installed tomorrow. Good news for me as I really thought this would be the end of my car, and I was just starting to get used to it here!
So it was a head gasket failure causing intermix?

How did they change it so quickly?
Old 06-03-2019, 09:24 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan_189
So it was a head gasket failure causing intermix?

How did they change it so quickly?
I didn't see where he said the shop replaced a head gasket. I would assume it's the waterpump gasket based on the photos.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:32 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
I didn't see where he said the shop replaced a head gasket. I would assume it's the waterpump gasket based on the photos.
Yes you're correct - just "gasket" thought it might be as the OP spoke of this in the first post.

OP - what gasket? Also what temp sensors? So it was coolant and not oil? Was there oil in the coolant tank?
Old 06-03-2019, 09:39 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan_189
Yes you're correct - just "gasket" thought it might be as the OP spoke of this in the first post.

OP - what gasket? Also what temp sensors? So it was coolant and not oil? Was there oil in the coolant tank?
There are a lot of unknowns here. The thermostat gasket is also a good candidate. I think most of us dismissed the head gasket theory.

The intermix question needs to be answered. At the very least the oil should be checked (if not changed) and the coolant system flushed. But that's just me.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:44 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Yep head gasket pretty much gets ruled out - IMO if there is intermix not sure if a gasket change will fix that...

Might be two issues here - coolant leak initially fixed with a new gasket then coolant flush.

A coolant flush and new gasket wont solve the intermix issue (or at least until we know what gasket was changed).
Old 06-03-2019, 10:20 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Was there oil in the coolant tank or coolant in the oil?
Old 06-04-2019, 12:39 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

I apologize for not being active, but here is what happened. Oil found in the coolant, and took it to my Indy, they suspected that it’s due to overheating and they flushed my coolant and put new temp sensors in. They tested and didn’t think a new head gasket was needed. They just put a new gasket for the coolant pump, since it went bad. I didn’t get the car yet, but I trust them. If anything more happens then they are going to change it.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

I apologize for not being active, but here is what happened. Oil found in the coolant, and took it to my Indy, they suspected that it’s due to overheating and they flushed my coolant and put new temp sensors in. They tested and didn’t think a new head gasket was needed. They just put a new gasket for the coolant pump, since it went bad. I didn’t get the car yet, but I trust them. If anything more happens then they are going to change it.

OK - this is important information. Oil in the coolant is the big issue. There are a very few ways for this to happen. Overheating is a simple answer for most cars and would typically be as a result of a compromised head gasket. On this engine - there are no known documented head gasket failures (at least from my limited reading here - most of that from guys that really know these cars).

The water pump gasket is only going to temporarily fix the (external) coolant leak. This will not address the big issue. The water pump should be replaced. But that can wait until after the reason for oil in the coolant is determined. I hate to bring it up - but my guess is there are cracks in one or both heads. I'd be looking for a way to have this checked.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:52 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Ok, I’ll double check with my mechanic about the head. They felt the head gasket was fine. I’ll see how much it costs for replacement and if it’s not too much get it changed. I’ll monitor the car and baby it around.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 PM
TheYoung911
Instructor

If I had the money to, I would get it changed. But the reality is that my parents are helping me in paying for the repairs. I don’t want to make them spend any more than is necessary on the car. Hence why I’m not insisting on a gasket replacement

Quick Reply: 996 Losing power!?