Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Refresh - What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:28 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Front Suspension Refresh - What would you do?

I'm updating my front suspension this weekend. I replaced the struts a month ago, and I'll be replacing everything else in the next couple days. I've seen many articles and "how to's" to replace each individual part, but I cannot find anything that shows the complete job, start to finish.

My question is, how would you guys go about this? Do you think there's a certain order of preference that would make things easier for me? Would it matter the order of what part goes back on, or would it not make that big of a difference? Any tips/tricks would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 05-31-2019, 08:30 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

My biggest road block in the front was when the caliper bolts seized into the spindle and had to have them machined out. Took a couple days.

Everything else was bolt on/off.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:55 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 671 Posts

Take everything old off. Install everything new. It's more or less self-explanatory. Remove sway bars first, then shocks/struts along with control arms, then rear upper dogbones. You can make your life easier on the rear by installing the new shock and letting the bearing carrier/hub hang on it while you change the suspension arms (this way you can leave the drive axle attached). If your car is a C4 I am not sure on if you can get the front struts off without removing the front axles, I did this on a C2, twice actually.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:19 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

What Nickshu said! The rest is deal with stuff when it goes awry.

A couple of additional thoughts (and these may be obvious):
1) don't let your caliper hang from the car on the brake line (it can damage the brake lines)
2) be careful what position suspension parts are in when you torque them down - you don't want the bushings to be twisted (preloaded) in their static state (car with wheels on the ground).

For example, if you torque the inside bolt on the coffin arms when the vehicle is lifted, suspension bits hanging, and then lower the car to the ground in it's static position, you have introduced preload into the bushing. You don't want that...

Also, on a suspension job, I like to replace the nuts, bolts and related bits with new parts. But I live in an area where we see corrosion, so that may not apply to you.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:34 AM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by cds72911
The rest is deal with stuff when it goes awry.

Also, on a suspension job, I like to replace the nuts, bolts and related bits with new parts. But I live in an area where we see corrosion, so that may not apply to you.
Stuff will go awry for certain

Porsche says the suspension bolts are "torque to yield" so they need to be replaced but if youre only doing the job once, reusing the original bolts (assuming they are clean and corrosion free) should be fine.

Tip of the day: Porsche sells a "caliper hardware kit" that has the clips and pins for $30

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...SABEgIj3PD_BwE
The following users liked this post:
JupiterJohn (09-05-2021)
Old 05-31-2019, 11:31 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
What Nickshu said! The rest is deal with stuff when it goes awry.

A couple of additional thoughts (and these may be obvious):
1) don't let your caliper hang from the car on the brake line (it can damage the brake lines)
2) be careful what position suspension parts are in when you torque them down - you don't want the bushings to be twisted (preloaded) in their static state (car with wheels on the ground).

For example, if you torque the inside bolt on the coffin arms when the vehicle is lifted, suspension bits hanging, and then lower the car to the ground in it's static position, you have introduced preload into the bushing. You don't want that...

CDS, how do you avoid the pre-load situation? I'm assuming I can't lower the car on the ground before I tighten up the bolts....but is that what you're suggesting I do?
Old 05-31-2019, 11:42 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Stuff will go awry for certain

Porsche says the suspension bolts are "torque to yield" so they need to be replaced but if youre only doing the job once, reusing the original bolts (assuming they are clean and corrosion free) should be fine.

Tip of the day: Porsche sells a "caliper hardware kit" that has the clips and pins for $30

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...SABEgIj3PD_BwE
Never re-use any torque to yield fasteners, ever.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:01 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaycote
CDS, how do you avoid the pre-load situation? I'm assuming I can't lower the car on the ground before I tighten up the bolts....but is that what you're suggesting I do?
I have a lift, so after assembling the parts finger tight, then before I fully tighten the fasteners, I *carefully* lower the car on tall lift posts until the suspension is under full load, then I torque the fasteners to spec.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:08 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaycote
If you don't have a lift, and are doing this on jackstands, put a floor jack under the corner you're working on until that corner just barely comes off the jackstand, and then torque everything. It's easy to put a jack under the outer control arm ball joint, or under the brake rotor hub.

To be clear, anything that has a ball joint can be torqued in any orientation, with weight on or off, since the ball accommodates that motion. Only things that have a rubber bushing need to be torqued "on the ground". So up front that's the inner end of the coffin arm, and the joint between the coffin and tuning fork arm. In the back, all the control arms have bushings, as does the bottom of the shock.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:39 PM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by dkraige
If you don't have a lift, and are doing this on jackstands, put a floor jack under the corner you're working on until that corner just barely comes off the jackstand, and then torque everything. It's easy to put a jack under the outer control arm ball joint, or under the brake rotor hub.

To be clear, anything that has a ball joint can be torqued in any orientation, with weight on or off, since the ball accommodates that motion. Only things that have a rubber bushing need to be torqued "on the ground". So up front that's the inner end of the coffin arm, and the joint between the coffin and tuning fork arm. In the back, all the control arms have bushings, as does the bottom of the shock.
Convert everything to spherical bearings and its a non issue
Old 06-01-2019, 01:19 PM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dkraige
I was pleasantly surprised to find that my 2004 C4S has a marking on the control arm that lines up with a corresponding mark on the crossmember when the suspension is properly loaded. See attached pictures. No guesswork!
Attached Images   
Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Which suspension bolts are torque to yield?
Old 03-08-2022, 09:23 AM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 447 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Which suspension bolts are torque to yield?
Zombie thread bump.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
Old 03-08-2022, 09:26 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,494 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Zombie thread bump.

None that i know of or have read about. They do recommend swaping the lock nuts but mine all grabed so i reused. Buy the torque hand book from ln e and get to work.
The following users liked this post:
islaTurbine (03-08-2022)
Old 03-08-2022, 09:27 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Zombie thread bump.

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is none. All have normal torque specs. Some like to replace fasteners after single use, but some would have you replace your gas cap with each fill too.
The following 2 users liked this post by JTT:
islaTurbine (03-08-2022), KeyWest996 (03-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Refresh - What would you do?