Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Nicely done!
Old 05-30-2019, 11:38 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Black rims have been so played out. Every lazy car owner seems to have one. They all blast them with Plastidip or some other crap.
Originally Posted by mrdeezy
Painting wheels dark as a "mod" always reeks of desperation

I thought we were rid of the kunts in this area when Joey stopped posting. Guess I was wrong.

I must be lazy and desperate, too.

For what it's worth, I'll very likely paint my crappy silver wheels a dark color when I find some time.

Either that, or Orange!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:56 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Like the Silver on 996, but

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
I thought we were rid of the kunts in this area when Joey stopped posting. Guess I was wrong.

For what it's worth, I'll very likely paint my crappy silver wheels a dark color when I find some time.

Either that, or Orange!
If people like Black wheels that their prerogative, If they don't, no sense being rude in comments.

Looks like those need a little clean up/touch up and good as new.

Be bold, only once.

Mike
Old 05-30-2019, 01:19 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

And here I thought silver had been played out...I too plan on painting my PO curb rash silver rims, maybe a dark gun metal grey. But I must say, I do like a blacked out 996, they look so "stealthy"!
Or, gold to match my Carrera badge
Old 05-30-2019, 01:54 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
And here I thought silver had been played out...I too plan on painting my PO curb rash silver rims, maybe a dark gun metal grey. But I must say, I do like a blacked out 996, they look so "stealthy"!
Or, gold to match my Carrera badge
I actually think I am going to do mine gold, a similar color to the crest. I have ocean metallic blue like the one above, I think it will look really good against that color.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:21 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm planning on plasti-dipping my wheels gunmetal when I have some time but I wasnt going to sand them down. Degrease them nice so the paint has a clean surface to adhere to and start shooting.

I agree the center caps may cause a problem down the road when its time to remove them but live and learn.

I want to have my calipers painted and rebuilt but i'm too chicken-**** to do it myself as i've never done it... may be time to search my shop manual (youtube) for a tutorial though LOL Still doubt i'd paint the calipers myself

Props to the OP for doing the job on their own. God knows how my attempt will turn out
Old 05-30-2019, 02:55 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Gold is a great idea. Should go especially well when I accessorize....

Old 05-30-2019, 03:03 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DGI
I'm planning on plasti-dipping my wheels gunmetal when I have some time but I wasnt going to sand them down. Degrease them nice so the paint has a clean surface to adhere to and start shooting.

I agree the center caps may cause a problem down the road when its time to remove them but live and learn.

I want to have my calipers painted and rebuilt but i'm too chicken-**** to do it myself as i've never done it... may be time to search my shop manual (youtube) for a tutorial though LOL Still doubt i'd paint the calipers myself

Props to the OP for doing the job on their own. God knows how my attempt will turn out
Plasti-Dip shouldn't need to sand down or anything besides clean and spray. Although it can be difficult to remove if you don't do it right. I removed some for a detailing client of mine last year, the dip disolver they sell and a pressure washer made quick work of it. I am just going to have mine powder coated. Also, I was thinking of doing the brakes myself, I believe this video is of a boxster but it really doesn't seem that bad. Although every time I say that everything is frozen on and won't come off.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:29 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by motoo344
Plasti-Dip shouldn't need to sand down or anything besides clean and spray. Although it can be difficult to remove if you don't do it right. I removed some for a detailing client of mine last year, the dip disolver they sell and a pressure washer made quick work of it. I am just going to have mine powder coated. Also, I was thinking of doing the brakes myself, I believe this video is of a boxster but it really doesn't seem that bad. Although every time I say that everything is frozen on and won't come off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh1QMKurU8g
Powder coating is the only way to go once you've committed to a color.
Doing the calipers right the first time is best as they look like crap when just rattle canning them on the car.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:38 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Powder coating is the only way to go once you've committed to a color.
Doing the calipers right the first time is best as they look like crap when just rattle canning them on the car.
Agree, my barrels are beyond saving. I basically tried to sand them down with steel wool and the staining still wont come out, just time to get them refinished. I would love to just do the calipers again in black and get them refreshed. Might try to take them off at the end of the season and see how it goes.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:18 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 780 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco

Hey Man, you don't have to take a backhoe to your Porsche just because it has black wheels!!! That's going too far.

PS: I don't get the black wheel contempt either. Dictates on style are pointless in my opinion. I've never been a fan of black wheels, but I wouldn't dream of imposing that as an absolute on anyone else. Whether or not black works is highly dependent on the individual car, sometimes I like it. I actually like the color of the OP's wheels -- which seems to be more like metallic anthracite than black.

Painting with the center caps on seems problematic though. I feel bad if that is the case because the wheel paint looks well done otherwise. I'm confused why the calipers aren't done to the same standard as the wheels, because the finish on the wheels is really very nice.

Last edited by peterp; 05-30-2019 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:20 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 780 Likes on 473 Posts

Last edited by peterp; 05-30-2019 at 05:19 PM. Reason: moved text to prior post
Old 05-30-2019, 04:29 PM
Y2KARRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Did my calipers in a copper color to get a little contrast to the gray. The car is far from perfect so I was ok with the rattle can job
Old 05-30-2019, 04:35 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Y2KARRERA

Did my calipers in a copper color to get a little contrast to the gray. The car is far from perfect so I was ok with the rattle can job
Don't get me wrong, with proper prep and masking you can get excellent results with a rattle can paint job. I've done it on various things in the past, but I see a lot of people just painting everything in sight and it looks tacky...
Old 05-30-2019, 04:44 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by motoo344
Plasti-Dip shouldn't need to sand down or anything besides clean and spray. Although it can be difficult to remove if you don't do it right. I removed some for a detailing client of mine last year, the dip disolver they sell and a pressure washer made quick work of it. I am just going to have mine powder coated. Also, I was thinking of doing the brakes myself, I believe this video is of a boxster but it really doesn't seem that bad. Although every time I say that everything is frozen on and won't come off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh1QMKurU8g
Ive seen that guy’s videos. Hes pretty good and inspiring at the same time.

Might have a go on the 996. Been wanting to upgrade the pistons in the calipers of my Mini also.

Its funny how I use my 996 as the guinea pig before I do work on my daily driver lol

Quick Reply: Painted my 17’s