Carrera or Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 AM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
I've been down this path (mentally) for the past 20 years or so LOL

I LOVE the 986 Boxster S. Front and rear trunk, convertible so you can hear the engine sing, classic proportions, etc.

The ****-ster (as Jeremy Clarkson called the Cayman) has its merits also (mainly the hard top and more interior storage space) but I'm not sure its worthy of its premium over a clean 986S (for me).

What did I end up with?

1999 996 C2. I did get a really nice purchase price for mine even though I spent plenty more to bring it up to date with maintenance, etc but its the car I always wanted. I still want a 986S at some point and may end up with one sooner than later but i'm 6'6" and fitting in one may be a chore even with aftermarket seats.

As others have mentioned, they can all blow up and cost you $$$. My biggest reason for questioning how long I'll be hanging on to my 996 but you cant go wrong with it as "You have to own a 911 at least once in your lifetime"

Buy a clean 996.1 (early cars have the dual row IMS that is "less likely" to blow up) and put the extra $$$ away for maintenance, fun parts, track time, etc.

I have a list 30 cars long of cars I need to own at least once in my life and while I really really enjoy my 911, time will tell how long it sticks around.
Thanks for your opinion.

Could somebody tell me which years had dual row IMS? How much less likely are they to be a problem compared to the single?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:33 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeh
Thanks for your opinion.

Could somebody tell me which years had dual row IMS? How much less likely are they to be a problem compared to the single?
1999- early 2000 had dual row.

~1% failure vs ~10% failure on newer cars.

That may be an older number though so it may be skewed... the older the cars get, the more failures there will be. Not all failures are due to IMS (Theres PLENTY more that can kill your motor)...
Old 05-14-2019, 08:38 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks for your opinion.

Read the FAQ? Nobody knows for sure, although most sources agree 1999 and before had dual row. Some 2000 had dual row, but there is no way to know without disassembly. Nobody knows the failure rates either, despite some fact like percentages that get thrown around frequently. IMO, the best bet is to either upgrade the bearing, or if you chose not to, just don't worry about it and accept the risk. Worrying won't fix anything and will take away from your enjoyment of an amazing vehicle.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:39 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Read the FAQ? Nobody knows for sure, although most sources agree 1999 and before had dual row. Some 2000 had dual row, but there is no way to know without disassembly. Nobody knows the failure rates either, despite some fact like percentages that get thrown around frequently. IMO, the best bet is to either upgrade the bearing, or if you chose not to, just don't worry about it and accept the risk. Worrying won't fix anything and will take away from your enjoyment of an amazing vehicle.
110% accurate right there!
Old 05-14-2019, 10:49 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

The eventual failure rate of ball bearings is 100%. Bore scoring is also an eventual failure mode in the M96 and M97 engines. The 9A1 engines were the first DFI (direct fuel injection) engines, and they have their weaknesses too, including buildup of crud on the intake valves stems. Every mechanical component will have failure modes.

Pick the design you like and get a thorough PPI before you buy. I bought a 99 C2 two years ago and am very happy with it. It's used mostly as a track car now. I have been thinking about buying a Cayman as my next DD.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:35 AM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

The daul row bearing can be found in later models than 2000. My GF's 2001 Boxster has a daul row (nobody knows for sure when).
Some people prefer the 9X7 interior over the 9X6. I personally don't. I feel the 9X6 interior will stand the test of time much better, especially with full leather option.
The 9X7 seats are more comfortable imo than the 9X6, but I like the look of the earlier seats.
Nothing beats the sound of the motor right behind you like the Cayman/Boxty (with an exhaust it's visceral).
The Cayman is on rails, with stock (base) suspension. Haven't tracked it, but I have not yet pushed the front end on public roads.
The 2.7L in the base cars is considered the heartiest of all the M96/M97 engines. Rarely is bore score an issue with these, and generally lower failure. And, it's an absolute blast of an engine to wring out. "Slow" car fast > then fast car slow.
My single data point research tells me that my 996 cars seem to have better build quality than my 987.
Bottom line for me.. If I had to only have one P-car, it would be a 911.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:50 AM
maj75
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

The difference for me was the legroom. I just couldn’t find enough in the Cayman. I was able to remove the lower console and use the GT2 finish panel on my 2000 Boxster S. This gave me the needed legroom. That’s not an option on the Cayman, which makes me sad. I really love the mid-engine dynamic of the 986S but would rather have the roof over my head. The 996 allows this option for me. At present, I’m shopping for a 996. Need to finalize the sale of my C5 Corvette first.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:28 PM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
IMO, the best bet is to either upgrade the bearing, or if you chose not to, just don't worry about it and accept the risk. Worrying won't fix anything and will take away from your enjoyment of an amazing vehicle.
IMO that's probably the best advice I've seen on this topic yet.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:35 PM
mrfeh
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Just thought folks would be interested...I asked my local Porsche dealer what it would cost to replace the IMS in a 2000 Carrera. Their response:

You recently ask for an estimate for replacing the IMS bearing on a 2000 911. We here at Porsche Madison do not perform that service. Due to the fact that less than 1% of all vehicle ever have the issue. I would suggest that you have a pre-purchase inspection performed before buying the vehicle. If the vehicle is local. We would be happy to perform this inspection for you.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Just thought folks would be interested...I asked my local Porsche dealer what it would cost to replace the IMS in a 2000 Carrera. Their response:

You recently ask for an estimate for replacing the IMS bearing on a 2000 911. We here at Porsche Madison do not perform that service. Due to the fact that less than 1% of all vehicle ever have the issue. I would suggest that you have a pre-purchase inspection performed before buying the vehicle. If the vehicle is local. We would be happy to perform this inspection for you.
That's the company line. Porsche said in the past that the bearing couldn't be replaced. We know differently, thanks to FSI and LNE.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,013 Posts

That’s weird, my local Porsche dealer was more than happy to take my $ and replace IMS bearing. LOL
Old 05-15-2019, 01:04 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Optionman1
That’s weird, my local Porsche dealer was more than happy to take my $ and replace IMS bearing. LOL

I agree - I think Porsche Madison's angle is they want the 2000 to blow up so they can put him in a new 718
Old 05-15-2019, 09:54 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

And that's exactly why people had to unite and form a class action law suit. Think about it.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:56 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
That's the company line. Porsche said in the past that the bearing couldn't be replaced. We know differently, thanks to FSI and LNE.
Bingo! That's why I don't trust Porsche when they speak about the intermediate shaft bearing(s). You'd think by now they'd admit the failure after three versions of the bearings were designed.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Anyways, I've driven most of the 987 Cayman variants. Always walked away impressed thinking someday maybe I'll own one. Technically better than a 996? No doubt. Back in 2015 I drove my first 996. A crisp low mileage 2000 C2 Zenith Blue Coupe 6mt. Immediately knew I was going to own one someday. It was everything I loved about my 964 in a modern package. That flat six note coming from all the out back. A clean seek 911 silhouette. Glancing back to see the distinctive rear seats that hark back to day 1, just like the back of the 356 I rode in at 5 years old that left such a lasting impression. There's just something enchanting about the 996/911 with that lineage that you don't get from the Cayman.

Quick Reply: Carrera or Cayman?