Sponsored by:

996 Low Seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Robstevens
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 996 Low Seat

Hopefully people with the right experience will see this and comment. I have a 996 that I drive as a periodic street car in the summer, but with a new track opening nearby hopefully by the end of summer this year, I think its going to see some track time. Nothing serious as my car doesn't have the stock engine in it anymore and I"m not sure how it would be classed in anything competitive.

That said I'm 6'5 and although I can fit decently for daily driving with the stock seats, there is fat chance I could fit with a helmet. Regardless the stock seats are worn pretty heavily and need to be replaced anyway. I have already taken out the center console (ala GT3) and I have a smaller wheel on the way.

As the car is a daily mostly, I dont really want to contend with huge thigh bolsters - so I'm not looking for a profi XL or anything like that. I have narrowed down to 3 seats that are side mount (so hope should get low) with hopefully daily livable characteristics. Keep in mind I have a 34-36" waist.
  • Tillett B5 - looks low, but jebus is it going to be comforable
  • Cobra Nogaro - wide enough?
  • Sparco QRT-R - Somewhat tight fit for a daily, but I could fit in it. Had more thigh bolster than the other 2 - maybe too much

If anyone has any experience and can comment on any of these seats with regard to width and getting low (what brackets did you use) I am all ears. If I have missed a seat you think will meet my objectives, pipe up.

RS
Old 05-13-2019, 06:10 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey!

Im tall also (6’6”) and was going to go the Cobra Nogaro route (im a 36” waist) but the closest dealer is 5 hours way. I ended up finding a deal on a single Recaro SPG XL and a floor mount bracket from Brey Krause. They arrive this week so we’ll see how easy the in and out dance goes. I have a thread documenting my 996 build so keep an eye out for an update

i also did the OEM GT3 console delete. I have a flat bottom 4 spoke wheel on order from DCT as well as a steering wheel extension from Carnewal sitting in a box waiting to go in
Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

6'-4" w/34" inseam. Long torso = no bueno.
Bought Targa because it fits.
Now I'm considering DE, and quick helmet test was too close for comfort. Imagine putting helmet through glass top could total car if track doesn't take out motor.😎

My options are;
Take out some foam on stock seat bottom. Worked in my '85 carrera. Or mount a older konig sp700 seat i have to the stock seat rails. I need to see if thats possible.

If I was shorter I'd have a 914/6.

It's pretty comfortable. I sat in a bunch of seats before purchasing. What sold me on this set was the shoulder cut outs fit me. Recaros and others were too low and dangerous to use a 5pt. Harness. It would complement my momo wheel. Not sure the rennlist crowd would approve.😎
Old 05-19-2019, 03:29 PM
Robstevens
Advanced

DGI you have your Recaro Profi figured out yet? I think that will be a fine fitting seat, I just dont think I want that in a car that is 90% street driven.

I may go with the cobra - does anyone who installed that on a 996 know if they got lower than the stock seat? I guess if anything you can remove the seat cushion for track times.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:36 AM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by Robstevens
DGI you have your Recaro Profi figured out yet? I think that will be a fine fitting seat, I just dont think I want that in a car that is 90% street driven.

I may go with the cobra - does anyone who installed that on a 996 know if they got lower than the stock seat? I guess if anything you can remove the seat cushion for track times.
My seat comes in today. Depending on the after work/ after school to-do list I may start fiddling with the mounting later tonight. I'm itching to get it in but family time first.

The Cobra Nogaro would sit its lowest running Brey Krause mounts. If Cobra mounts are anything like Recaro mounts, the seats would likely be at factory height. BK mounts would sit lower even if you were to run sliders.

If I end up keeping my car longer term, i'll likely get a set of Nogaros if the SPG XL results come back positive. I'm hoping to have enough room for a slider setup so my wife could also enjoy driving the car.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:17 AM
Robstevens
Advanced

DGI how did it go?
Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 AM
DGI
Pro

Had the wrong pitch bolts and passenger side seat bracket when I attempted to get the seat installed.

new bracket and bolts are here now but wont have time to play with it until Wed after work.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:04 PM
DGI
Pro

Finally got the seat mocked up with the proper brackets.

Its lower but no where near as far back as the factory setup.

I can probably get further back using the factory sliders but they would raise the seating position up the height of the sliders and its already a pain in the *** to get in the seat at the height it currently sits at.

Going back to OEM seating for now.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:12 PM
Robstevens
Advanced

Originally Posted by DGI
Finally got the seat mocked up with the proper brackets.

Its lower but no where near as far back as the factory setup.

I can probably get further back using the factory sliders but they would raise the seating position up the height of the sliders and its already a pain in the *** to get in the seat at the height it currently sits at.

Going back to OEM seating for now.

Thats depressing. So you effectively only got lower as you didn't use sliders, but lost ability to move back as much?
Old 05-30-2019, 07:55 AM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by Robstevens
Thats depressing. So you effectively only got lower as you didn't use sliders, but lost ability to move back as much?
Correct.

I'm going to look around for a set of sport seats now. I test sat in some not long ago and while they didnt offer any improvement in head room, they were more comfy.

Quick Reply: 996 Low Seat