Sponsored by:

top gear xpipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 07:55 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default top gear xpipe

Super impressed with these guys, i placed my order on sunday and it arrived wed, 3 days from the UK to Michigan, and its cheaper than anything in the US to boot. It fit perfect and the quality is just as good as the more expensive ones which i also have.

Now with speedtech headers, 200 cat top gear x pipe and muffler bypass the sound is awesome ! i have pse mufflers and a catless xpipe and have been changing pieces to get the correct sound and finally i have it. I have not driven a 996 GT3 but i have driven 991 GT3’s and its as close to that sound as this engine will get i think. The same setup catless was to loud, sounded good but it was way over the top so i figured the cats would tame it a little and it thankfully did.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:00 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad to hear!

I've been tempted to go catless due to cost but with the Fisters that are going on, I worry it would be too loud.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:29 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
Super impressed with these guys, i placed my order on sunday and it arrived wed, 3 days from the UK to Michigan, and its cheaper than anything in the US to boot. It fit perfect and the quality is just as good as the more expensive ones which i also have.

Now with speedtech headers, 200 cat top gear x pipe and muffler bypass the sound is awesome ! i have pse mufflers and a catless xpipe and have been changing pieces to get the correct sound and finally i have it. I have not driven a 996 GT3 but i have driven 991 GT3’s and its as close to that sound as this engine will get i think. The same setup catless was to loud, sounded good but it was way over the top so i figured the cats would tame it a little and it thankfully did.
Have you noticed any loss of torque down low?
Old 05-05-2019, 01:34 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Have you noticed any loss of torque down low?
i think there is a little with the catless
Old 05-05-2019, 01:36 PM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DGI
Glad to hear!

I've been tempted to go catless due to cost but with the Fisters that are going on, I worry it would be too loud.
its not to bad with mufflers, just the mufflers was way to quiet for me
Old 05-08-2019, 11:21 AM
thurstonpowers3
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Glad to hear!

I run catless with Gundo and I personally feel the volume is perfect. I know sound is always subjective, but I had muffler bypass prior and it was far too loud and droning. I am very pleased now. There is a drivability issue below 2000 rpm at part throttle and definitely a loss of toruqe below 4000 rpm. I am going to have the car tuned and I assume after that it will be fine.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:56 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Can you post a quick drive-by video of the sound? Considering how quickly one can take and post a video on youtube and that (as far as I can surmise) at least 40 rennlisters have TopGear cats, there are virtually zero videos of how these sound on our cars. It would be a welcome addition to the knowledge base here!
Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Glad to hear!

Just a comment about sound: I have "Fisters" on my 996 (actually B&B's that Darin modified to stage 3) and deleted my cats for an x-pipe. Prior to removing the cats, the sound was perfect. Darin's mods to my mufflers would allow them to be pretty quiet when going easy on the throttle, and would really open up at full throttle. Easy to modulate when you wanted to keep it quieter......just go easy on the gas or leave it in a higher gear. With the x-pipe and Fister stage 3's it absolutely screams/howls at WOT. So much so that it's almost "need ear plugs" loud - almost like a straight exhaust. I can still keep the sound sort of quiet by going easy on the gas. That's the amazing this about Fisters…..they are quiet when you want it, and sound fantastic when you open it up. And I've never had any drone with the Fisters…..cat or catless.
I have Stage 2's on the 993 and they're perfect, IMHO.
Practically speaking, my 996 is now probably too loud for the street (and the neighbors) but it's great for the track.
Cheers.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:58 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Good deal, getting our cars to sound the way we want.. bliss
Old 05-13-2019, 11:49 AM
tekkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
Can you post a quick drive-by video of the sound? Considering how quickly one can take and post a video on youtube and that (as far as I can surmise) at least 40 rennlisters have TopGear cats, there are virtually zero videos of how these sound on our cars. It would be a welcome addition to the knowledge base here!
yeah let me see if i can get something later this week / weekend when the rain stops
Old 05-14-2019, 08:24 AM
RangerRick
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

can you post a sound clip for all to envy?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:24 AM
Pulx30
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by David993S
Just a comment about sound: I have "Fisters" on my 996 (actually B&B's that Darin modified to stage 3) and deleted my cats for an x-pipe. Prior to removing the cats, the sound was perfect. Darin's mods to my mufflers would allow them to be pretty quiet when going easy on the throttle, and would really open up at full throttle. Easy to modulate when you wanted to keep it quieter......just go easy on the gas or leave it in a higher gear. With the x-pipe and Fister stage 3's it absolutely screams/howls at WOT. So much so that it's almost "need ear plugs" loud - almost like a straight exhaust. I can still keep the sound sort of quiet by going easy on the gas. That's the amazing this about Fisters…..they are quiet when you want it, and sound fantastic when you open it up. And I've never had any drone with the Fisters…..cat or catless.
I have Stage 2's on the 993 and they're perfect, IMHO.
Practically speaking, my 996 is now probably too loud for the street (and the neighbors) but it's great for the track.
Cheers.
Can you explain the different stages? Are the stages modifications to the muffler or the whole exhaust?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:29 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Pulx30
Can you explain the different stages? Are the stages modifications to the muffler or the whole exhaust?
Check FD Motorsports website. He probably explains it better than I will. Darin modifies only the muffler. Different stages are just different levels of loudness. Stage 1 most quiet, Stage 3 loudest.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

yeah let me see if i can get something later this week / weekend when the rain stops
Awesome! Also, which version of the 200 cell x-pipe did you get? They sell a big bore 63mm and a standard 54mm version.

I've got the FVD catless x-pipe and the power losses between 3-4k are a noticeable constraint at autox, though the power and sound improvement above 4k are so good I've left it on over a year now.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 PM
dlknight
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting - I'm in the UK and have been considering the Topgear 200 Cell X-Pipe and Sports Silencers for awhile to replace my blowing OE exhaust

Quick Reply: top gear xpipe