Sponsored by:

996 Seat Options Visiual Cues

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 04:00 PM
pdizzle1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 996 Seat Options Visiual Cues

Hi All - looking to swap out some interior bits in my new to me 996 C4S. At some point the PO swapped out the original supple leather and replaced with the perforated style, front and back. While I think the perforated looks better than supple and are in great condition, the seats put in lacked lumbar (retained heat, memory, and 8 way adjustment), which was optioned originally into the car.

To get lumbar back, I have been considering some options:

1) cheap route, towel, extra padding, or a manual inflatable air bag
2) install an after market electric lumbar (e.g. Rostra), buy switches, and place them in the unused rear window blanks at the rear of the center console
3) find replacement seats from a dismantler or ebay with the options I want and sell my current seats

For option 3, is there a way to verify what functions the seats have to ensure they are what I'm looking for? I can assume if it has the lumbar toggle on the control panel, it has lumbar. Can I also assume that if there is lumbar, there is also 8 way adjustment, heat, and memory? Is there a way to tell by looking at the connector pins? I have my eye on one from a dismantler, but they don't know the VIN it came from. Its off a 996 turbo.

TIA
Old 04-25-2019, 04:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I'd love to see someone do something like Singer does with a 996
Old 04-26-2019, 02:28 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts
Default On my 986 I did

"To get lumbar back, I have been considering some options:

1) cheap route, towel, extra padding, or a manual inflatable air bag "

Manual inflatable airbag. removed seat insert from top, slipped in airbag, routed air Bulb for inflation/deflation out to side next console.

Here's link to one ,but I can try the find model I used. Worked quite well.

https://corbeau.com/other/accessorie...r-support.html $50.00

Need to look at doing same to Targa.

At the round part of top of perforated seat, I had Sport Seats, but same for regular seats, grab sides and lift up, the insert will unclip from frame. insert bag, route hose, reclip.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:23 PM
pdizzle1
Advanced

Thanks Mike. Great option for the cheap route.

Can anyone tell from the underside of these seats and view of connectors whether they have heat?

Old 04-26-2019, 04:26 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

pull the back cushion insert from the top like I said earlier, should be brown mat there if I remember correctly.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:39 PM
pdizzle1
Advanced

Thanks will have to have the yard look at behind. It's out of state. Was just wondering if one could tell from just the plugs.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:06 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

I can't w/o a wiring diagram , which you could tell if heating circuit on separate plug, but I don't remember from my sport seat Boxster w heated seats.

I will caution you when you remove seats, Set the rails at one end or other , and remove the bolts at opposite end before disconnecting battery.

If the seat is disconnected and ignition turned on (to adjust seat !) it will set airbag light off. Unless you have a Durametric, it requires a trip to dealer to clear.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:07 PM
pdizzle1
Advanced

Ah good tip. Thanks Mike!
Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mullins
If the seat is disconnected and ignition turned on (to adjust seat !) it will set airbag light off. Unless you have a Durametric, it requires a trip to dealer to clear.
Just for clarity, Durametric is NOT the only way to reset the airbag light. Others including Durametric work as well.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:39 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

that's true, but only OBD scanner/reader I have that does Airbag light as my other say they do, but don't, kinda like my Durametric that says it will reset Targa roof errors, but doesn't; but point being, Don't set the light off if you can help it.

Quick Reply: 996 Seat Options Visiual Cues