Sponsored by:

996 variations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 01:15 AM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyfishnick
Being new to the Porsche world and not a big car guy prior.....
I don’t want to discourage Porsche passion. If the 996 is anyone’s first entry into the world of “interesting” cars vs the mundane, they should start reading!

”Cheap 996s” are only affordable for those who can do a lot of their own work or whose disposable income allows them to drop a few hundo (or thousand) as needed, or to let the car sit until finds are ready.

Second car and you have the funds? Go for it!

Only car and you need it for work and your bank account hits $42.20 just before every paycheck? Maybe not the right car for you.

Why? These cars are old, so higher mileage is common and things break. There are some eccentricities with the car as well and not all the past owners took great care of them. The 996 motor had some weaknesses but with education you can reduce risk at purchase, and with dollars you can retrofit or replace with solutions that defer or solve this problem.

I didn’t get to this until my 50s. I did have a lot of fun cars along the way.

If if this is one’s passion, go for it. With eyes wide open after lots of reading!
Old 04-12-2019, 08:44 AM
TheYoung911
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bplein
I don’t want to discourage Porsche passion. If the 996 is anyone’s first entry into the world of “interesting” cars vs the mundane, they should start reading!

”Cheap 996s” are only affordable for those who can do a lot of their own work or whose disposable income allows them to drop a few hundo (or thousand) as needed, or to let the car sit until finds are ready.

Second car and you have the funds? Go for it!

Only car and you need it for work and your bank account hits $42.20 just before every paycheck? Maybe not the right car for you.

Why? These cars are old, so higher mileage is common and things break. There are some eccentricities with the car as well and not all the past owners took great care of them. The 996 motor had some weaknesses but with education you can reduce risk at purchase, and with dollars you can retrofit or replace with solutions that defer or solve this problem.

I didn’t get to this until my 50s. I did have a lot of fun cars along the way.

If if this is one’s passion, go for it. With eyes wide open after lots of reading!
^^This. Make sure you do a PPI no matter what car you end up getting. These are lovely cars but if you get a bad one then it can easily turn into a nightmare
Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

OP- Get the Buyers Guide - it's a good first step in buying a Porsche and read it all the way through.

https://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/buyers-guide
The following 2 users liked this post by MexicoBlueTurboS:
cjmahone66 (07-12-2019), Jjcrawdad (11-18-2022)

Quick Reply: 996 variations?