99 996 Rust

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:22 PM
JeffPlastow
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 996 Rust

Hey All,

Have a '99 996 that has not had any paint work. However, it does have some minor rust issues around both door locks on the "B" pillar (rear fender). Sorry I can't describe the location any better. There are a few light bubbles around the latch. Also, there is some rust on the underside of the engine lid close to the "folding" seam - not visible from the outside. Neither of these issues "seem" to be getting any worse - but I've heard that there may be technical bulletins on these issues. If so, what does this mean. My understanding is that for the rust warranty to come into effect, you essentially need to have holes in your body work. For the record, there are no outstanding recalls on the car and no other rust issues. Underside is like new.

Has anyone else encountered these issues? What did the dealer do, if anything?

Thanks,

Jeff.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:10 AM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snap - all settled with Porsche under warranty. Apparently all the early 996s suffered from corrosion "stars" around the latch pin on the B pillars and in my case the repair was carried out invisibly! Newer cars have some form of insulation behind the pin and this lessens the shock of the door latch mechanism.
There was a recall about corrosion on the engine cover reference W103 and this involved flooding the hidden welds with corrosion proofer - assuming that the corrosion hadn't taken a grip yet. I had that work done during an ordinary service interval.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:57 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an old TSB for this. Jeff

Quick Reply: 99 996 Rust