Sponsored by:

Removal of Front M030 Anti Roll Bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 03:47 AM
objectdye
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal of Front M030 Anti Roll Bar

Hi everyone - besides the weight saving of around 2.8, what does it do to the car? how does it affect how the car handles?

Thanks
Old 03-28-2019, 08:13 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Seriously? If you don't understand what a sway/anti-roll bar does or how/why it works, you shouldn't be messing around with it. Put it back on and go lose three pounds if you're really worried that much about weight savings...
Old 03-28-2019, 08:36 AM
objectdye
Track Day

Originally Posted by dporto
Seriously? If you don't understand what a sway/anti-roll bar does or how/why it works, you shouldn't be messing around with it. Put it back on and go lose three pounds if you're really worried that much about weight savings...
of course I know why a sway bar is... this comes from the CLR Guy at 911UK thread
Old 03-28-2019, 08:50 AM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-roll_bar

My 1993 Mustang GT does not currently run a rear sway bar (solid axle). It rotates fine and its a common mod for guys running a similar suspension setup but thats a completely different car. I'm happy with how the Mustang rotates and handles as it sits and i've messed with different rear bars to come to this conclusion.

Unless youre in an off road application and need suspension articulation, I would not remove the front sway bar on any street car.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:54 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Less front roll bar usually results in more oversteer on a 911. I guess if you wanted to drift everywhere it might be the thing to do but I would guess it would make unpredictable handling. Curious why you are asking?
Old 03-28-2019, 09:43 AM
objectdye
Track Day

It’s included in the list of items he removed for weight saving/ diet programme... im also curious as to what the front sway bar does to our car
Old 03-28-2019, 10:24 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Entire books are written on the subject. I’m no expert, but I have lots of books on suspension tuning.

As I understand it (and of course, a true expert will come along and correct me) when the wheel on one side of the vehicle is compressed upward, the anti-roll bar pulls the wheel on the opposite side of the car upward too. Depending upon how stiff the bar is, it changes how direct the relationship is between the sides. The stiffer the roll bar, the more force is transmitted. It keeps that end if the vehicle “flat”, with less body roll.

If you take it out, you change the suspension dynamics - that end of the vehicle doesn’t have the wheels working together anymore, so you will probably have more body roll, and all of the complicated things that dynamic does to the rest of the vehicle’s handling (as mentioned above, oversteer is one good example).

Lots of people who race mess around with sway bars for suspension fine tuning. Smaller, larger, solid, hollow, etc. In my opinion, they have to be considered as a part of a complex system, not just by themselves.

You could potentially tune behavior out with other modifications (stiffer springs, for example), if you are knowledgable and motivated. I’m neither, so I stick with formulas that have proven to work on other 996 cars and leave the swaybars intact.

On the other hand, it depends on what you are trying to do... maybe removing it is exactly what you are looking for?

As someone else mentioned, for hardcore off-road some people detach or even remove the anti-sway bars. The independent motion and increased articulation is desirable in some terrain.

Side note: my land cruiser has sway bars that change (motor journalists and marketers call it detaching, but not really, it just decouples the sides temporarily) depending on settings.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:00 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Entire books are written on the subject. I’m no expert, but I have lots of books on suspension tuning.

As I understand it (and of course, a true expert will come along and correct me) when the wheel on one side of the vehicle is compressed upward, the anti-roll bar pulls the wheel on the opposite side of the car upward too. Depending upon how stiff the bar is, it changes how direct the relationship is between the sides. The stiffer the roll bar, the more force is transmitted. It keeps that end if the vehicle “flat”, with less body roll.

If you take it out, you change the suspension dynamics - that end of the vehicle doesn’t have the wheels working together anymore, so you will probably have more body roll, and all of the complicated things that dynamic does to the rest of the vehicle’s handling (as mentioned above, oversteer is one good example).

Lots of people who race mess around with sway bars for suspension fine tuning. Smaller, larger, solid, hollow, etc. In my opinion, they have to be considered as a part of a complex system, not just by themselves.

You could potentially tune behavior out with other modifications (stiffer springs, for example), if you are knowledgable and motivated. I’m neither, so I stick with formulas that have proven to work on other 996 cars and leave the swaybars intact.

On the other hand, it depends on what you are trying to do... maybe removing it is exactly what you are looking for?

As someone else mentioned, for hardcore off-road some people detach or even remove the anti-sway bars. The independent motion and increased articulation is desirable in some terrain.

Side note: my land cruiser has sway bars that change (motor journalists and marketers call it detaching, but not really, it just decouples the sides temporarily) depending on settings.
This is a good summary. Without a front anti-roll bar, you'll generally speaking have more front body roll, and more oversteer. Without making any other changes to the car, overall you're going to hurt the way it handles, with no perceptible benefit. Porsche put together the suspension package they did to work as a *system*. Yes, you could redesign that system to not need a front anti-roll bar, but it would require changes to other parts of the *system* to compensate. Deleting one part if it would be like chopping your arm off. Yes, you could still do most tasks, and you'd weigh less, and there'd probably be some other minor benefits to being smaller and lighter, but overall you'd be a less-efficient system, and unless you made some other modifications or redesigns to your body, it would be a net loss.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:07 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

I stand by my original reply - 1 less hamburger with fries a week and you'll be ahead of the game...
Old 03-28-2019, 10:46 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

2.8lbs, so about a gallon of fuel fuel less at the next fill for the weight savings, as for handling I'd say the effect would be negative. Forgot to reconnect the swaybars on the 4Runner once, it was like driving on 4 flat tires.
If your feeling brave and have access to a skidpad or something of the sorts it would make for an interesting experiment in a controlled environment.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:52 AM
bplein
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by objectdye
Hi everyone - besides the weight saving of around 2.8, what does it do to the car? how does it affect how the car handles?

Thanks
bad idea unless you are only considering drag racing and have big brass *****. Removal of the front sway bar will make the car oversteer. Start reading http://www.skylife4ever.com/2011/01/...steer.html?m=1
Old 03-29-2019, 12:23 PM
bull3t
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by objectdye

Thanks
If I remember correctly, the CLR guy removed the power steering system. Removing the front sway bar would make it easier for him to steer without the help of P/S.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:29 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bull3t
If I remember correctly, the CLR guy removed the power steering system. Removing the front sway bar would make it easier for him to steer without the help of P/S.
That car also has WAY less weight, and relatively stiffer springs, so it doesn't need a swaybar to control body roll. On a street car, swaybars are essentially a way to keep the car flat in the corners while still having soft enough springs that the ride is comfortable over bumps. If you're willing to have an uncomfortable ride, they aren't as necessary.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:05 AM
CLR
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bull3t

Originally Posted by dkraige
That car also has WAY less weight, and relatively stiffer springs, so it doesn't need a swaybar to control body roll. On a street car, swaybars are essentially a way to keep the car flat in the corners while still having soft enough springs that the ride is comfortable over bumps. If you're willing to have an uncomfortable ride, they aren't as necessary.
Just to be clear do not remove the front ARB (Anti Roll Bar - swaybar) from a stock car. My car is 558 lbs lighter than when it started, now running Ohlins coilovers and completely different suspension geometry and components (custom CLR everything, only the hub remains from the OEM set-up).

Changes include the following:

LCA's which effectively push the front hubs out 26mm

Modified (extended) Tie rods

Custom Top mounts

Custom Spring caps (to suit Ohlins)

Ohlins suspension

CLR castor arms

Besides these, the pinch bolts were customised (where the ARB droplink is connected to the hub) and the complete chassis geometry altered to suit. My reason for ARB removal was primarily to reduce the steering force needed to overcome the ARB torsional loads (PAS deleted). As pointed out by the two posts above, much lighter weight plus stiffer suspension were factors which enabled this path.

Last edited by CLR; 10-07-2019 at 10:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CLR:
808Bill (10-07-2019), jobyt (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 09:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

CLR, you may have just saved someone's life!

Quick Reply: Removal of Front M030 Anti Roll Bar