Sponsored by:

Autopower race roll bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Autopower race roll bar?

On the fence about eventually putting a roll bar in my cab. 2 reasons. At some point hitting the track and additional safety on the street. Weekend play toy only. Not a lot of options come up for cab roll bars. Found this site below and wondered if anyone has heard of them. Price seems good. But is it too good?

Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I have one in my E36 M3. It came with the car. I didn't buy it. It was brand new though.

It's not too bad other than the paint job. The paint chips/peels VERY easily. I stripped the paint off and repainted it.

The welds on it aren't bad. This was the biggest complaint Auto power gets for these cages.

Kirks Racing is the one people prefer over the Autopower. Not sure if they make them for the 996 though.

For the price, and my intended use for it, I think it's a good option.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Most domestic cars have had many an autopower rollbar. Not certain on their 996 fitment but it will be a good quality legal bar for whatever they claim it is.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:47 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
It's not too bad other than the paint job. The paint chips/peels VERY easily. I stripped the paint off and repainted it.
I am a little **** over the looks. Regardless of who's cage i purchase i would most likely have it stripped and powdercoated seal grey to match the car.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:04 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many times have you tracked the car and how often do you go? I wheeled a cab on track for a long time and have a fair amount of experience doing so.

The reality is this - in lower run groups you’ll likely be fine. On track on of the bigger reasons for a bar is to have harnesses and seats. Are you willing to go that route? The car has rollover protection already that won’t intrude quite as much as a bar into the rest of the car.

If it’s really just for looks and “safety” is the justification that gets ya there - go for it.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:28 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

contrary to what they claim, autopower does not meet many sanctioning bodies' requirements. specifically the endplates bolt through the floorboard, not the structural element of the car. the design is poor - space is compromised because the fitment is not close enough to the Bpillars, etc.
if you post this question in the racing/DE forum I suspect you'd get different answers to your question.
you get what you pay for. I would not waste my money
Old 03-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
How many times have you tracked the car and how often do you go? I wheeled a cab on track for a long time and have a fair amount of experience doing so.

The reality is this - in lower run groups you’ll likely be fine. On track on of the bigger reasons for a bar is to have harnesses and seats. Are you willing to go that route? The car has rollover protection already that won’t intrude quite as much as a bar into the rest of the car.

If it’s really just for looks and “safety” is the justification that gets ya there - go for it.
Never been to the track yet. Plan on it at some point. Just got my car back in June. Been too busy to go. Work 6 days a week and really don't know anyone in the scene. I don't plan to be in the "competition". I just want to do some DE events and have fun. I've got a fat C4S cab, how fast could it really be? My main concern is that in the unlikely event the car were to get flipped on its lid, I would want my lid as protected as possible. If it would be a cage that would be accepted for DE events and hold up in a crash i'm good. If thats the only issue is some sanctioning bodies don't approve it, but i can still use it, i would be ok with that. If for some reason i got hooked i would get something like a early C2 and strip it for all out race.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:35 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Technically - you can use about anything you want. I don't know that any DE organization will tell you otherwise - Florida Citrus PCA certainly won't - I run with and am an instructor for them. When I look at the design of that bar - its going to force you to make some pretty significant modifications to the upholstery.... again - you may not want to do that....

Before you cut up the car - I'd try the track out first. See if you like it. I wheeled my cab for a long time before really needing to focus on the safety side of things... that led me to my C2....

First Monday of every month is the local PCA meeting / meet up... the group is about a 50/50 split between track people and social... everyone likes to drink and have a good time.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:41 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
Technically - you can use about anything you want. I don't know that any DE organization will tell you otherwise - Florida Citrus PCA certainly won't - I run with and am an instructor for them. When I look at the design of that bar - its going to force you to make some pretty significant modifications to the upholstery.... again - you may not want to do that....

Before you cut up the car - I'd try the track out first. See if you like it. I wheeled my cab for a long time before really needing to focus on the safety side of things... that led me to my C2....

First Monday of every month is the local PCA meeting / meet up... the group is about a 50/50 split between track people and social... everyone likes to drink and have a good time.
I think i may follow you advice. No way in hell am i cutting up my interior....As for PCA. I had stupid mentality about it. For the past 9 months it's been a thought process of "I'll join when my car is ready". 10k in mods later and i have realized it will never be ready. I really tried to get everything i wanted done before robeling road but that didn't happen. I really want to join but i am not a social person. I am always nervous meeting new people. and again working 6 days a week dosen't help. Maybe i will just get over my issues and join already.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
I think i may follow you advice. No way in hell am i cutting up my interior....As for PCA. I had stupid mentality about it. For the past 9 months it's been a thought process of "I'll join when my car is ready". 10k in mods later and i have realized it will never be ready. I really tried to get everything i wanted done before robeling road but that didn't happen. I really want to join but i am not a social person. I am always nervous meeting new people. and again working 6 days a week dosen't help. Maybe i will just get over my issues and join already.
It's a great way to get into tracking the car and learning to drive it to its capability.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:14 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

^^ agreed.
as to the rollbar, I personally would not put one in your car unless properly welded to the structural elements. do a search for the mustang that flipped at Hallett and you'll see the rollbar feet sticking right through the floorboard
Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

holy crap. yupp. not gonna happen. hard to see it. but i do.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 968 Likes on 647 Posts

"Drive what you've got". Good advice from one of my early instructors.

Personally I run a bolt in "roll bar". I am not sure how well it would do in a roll over honestly but it's better than nothing. The problem in a 6 point harness is that you stay upright while in a 3 point you can lean in towards the centerline of the car in a roll over.

I believe my next step with the car will be a welded in cage.

Safety Devices sells a 996 bolt in full roll cage that is mounted on platforms which you weld to the chassis (not just bolted to the floor). This would be difficult to run with carpet, but you could easily remove it and convert the car back to stock if you ever desired to do so. It would save you a few thousand over a custom welded in cage and is likely pretty darn close to being as safe. (This assumes the group you are running with allows such a cage, for DE it should be a non-issue).

I have been told $5-9K for a good welded in custom cage by a couple local race shops. The Safety Devices bolt in option is about $2K plus installation.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:38 PM
sb3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

On the fence about eventually putting a roll bar in my cab. 2 reasons. At some point hitting the track and additional safety on the street. Weekend play toy only. Not a lot of options come up for cab roll bars. Found this site below and wondered if anyone has heard of them. Price seems good. But is it too good?
IIRC, I had a Autopower cage in a 914 I used to use as a DE car. It was OK but ultimately did a custom cage in the car.

Quick Reply: Autopower race roll bar?