Sponsored by:

Buying from Porsche dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 04:21 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Buying from Porsche dealership

I am looking for a clean 99-01 911 Cabriolet for a occasional daily driver, maybe 4-5K miles per year. I have came across a couple of interesting ones at Porsche Dealerships across the USA.

My question is, what can I/should I expect buying a used Porsche from a Porsche dealership? I am not sure how detailed/comprehensively mechanically they go thru it before putting it up for sale to the public. Should I have them do a PPI, or take it to an independent shop near by? I know other non-Porsche dealerships & car lots will cover up any mechanical issues rather than repair them.

I know its not going to be perfect, I' just want to see as much as possible the current mechanical state.

Or, what is the best place to look for said 911?

Thanks!!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

I think it's fair to assume that any dealership selling a used car/Porsche is looking to flip it as quickly and as inexpensively as possible. They will do as little as possible short of washing and maybe vacuuming it out (maybe a quickie detail if you're lucky). Get a PPI from an independent (Porsche 996/M96) expert. Demand any/all available paperwork/records and never hand over any $$ until you have them in hand - once the sale is made, if you don't have it, you'll never get it. Do your diligence or prepare to get reamed... You've been warned!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
I think it's fair to assume that any dealership selling a used car/Porsche is looking to flip it as quickly and as inexpensively as possible. They will do as little as possible short of washing and maybe vacuuming it out (maybe a quickie detail if you're lucky). Get a PPI from an independent (Porsche 996/M96) expert. Demand any/all available paperwork/records and never hand over any $$ until you have them in hand - once the sale is made, if you don't have it, you'll never get it. Do your diligence or prepare to get reamed... You've been warned!
+1

They will most likely clean and polish it up a bit, but I wouldn't expect them to do much to the vehicle if they aren't forced.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:59 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Perfect, Thanks Guys!!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:25 PM
NE1N-11
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

Ask them for the reconditioning records/bill . This is what they as a dealership have done to it to make it ready for resale. Good luck trying to get previous service records unless the previous owner gives them to you. Even if that dealership was who serviced it from day one I doubt they will give them to you.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:43 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

I have bought and sold MANY car in my life...so, here is my take
Unless the car is a CPO. buying it from a PORSCHE DEALERSHIP or a local USED CAR LOT is the same thing...
Car salesmen are car salesmen...
BE VERY CAUTIOUS....
I'd rather buy it from an owner who I can talk to and get a "feel" for...
Old 03-18-2019, 06:01 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Always an independent shop!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 PM
NE1N-11
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dak911
I have bought and sold MANY car in my life...so, here is my take
Unless the car is a CPO. buying it from a PORSCHE DEALERSHIP or a local USED CAR LOT is the same thing...
Car salesmen are car salesmen...
BE VERY CAUTIOUS....
I'd rather buy it from an owner who I can talk to and get a "feel" for...

I would have to disagree with you. A Porsche dealership is not nearly the same as buying from Joe Blow's used car lot. A Porsche dealership has far more to lose then some shade tree used car lot that has a few dozen cars for sale. My local Porsche dealer built a $15 million facility and I doubt they'd jeopardize their business to make a couple thousand dollars on a single transaction. It isn't 1960 any more and the general public has access to far to much info for dealers to swindle them out of money. That's not to say they aren't out there but a Porsche dealership would worry me far less.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:20 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Originally Posted by Sobriquet
I would have to disagree with you. A Porsche dealership is not nearly the same as buying from Joe Blow's used car lot. A Porsche dealership has far more to lose then some shade tree used car lot that has a few dozen cars for sale. My local Porsche dealer built a $15 million facility and I doubt they'd jeopardize their business to make a couple thousand dollars on a single transaction. It isn't 1960 any more and the general public has access to far to much info for dealers to swindle them out of money.
1000% agree but it still should be taken for an independent PPI.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:27 PM
PorscheMeister42
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 36 Posts

I can assure you, if you are buying from any reputable dealership (Porsche), a proper assessment of the vehicle will be done. The name of the car is the same as the Building you enter...there is still pride of the brand to be had at the retail stores. Very much so. If you have concerns, ask them if you can come down to sit with the mechanic/service advisor during a time of their week/day that is less busy so you can dig into specific details about the car you may have concerns with. Every dealership is required to host the car for safety/emissions inspections. They will always do a once over on the car and will know what the car needs/doesn't need.

That being said, they don't work for free so there is a "profit" mindset always. If they own the car for "x", and the reconditioning necessary to bring the car up to "perfect" exceeds their ability to sell the car to make a decent (not even extravagant) profit, then they will back down the list to what is safe for the next customer to drive it off the lot. Any store that I'm familiar with would gladly walk you through what extra work may need to be done in the coming months, they may just not have had the ability to do so themselves without sending the car to auction/wholesale to make the money rather than fix it up.

-Someone who works at a Porsche dealership.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:37 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

I bought mine in the fall at a Porsche dealer. I walked in, took it for a test drive. I came back, made 2 offers with a $500 deposit. One offer was with service records, other offer was with service records. All offers were conditional on ppi.

Once I looked over the service records and confirmed I was interested, they took the car to a specialty shop I chose for a Ppi. Car came back with inoperational power seat and leaky rms. Estimate for RMS was $1400. They fixed the seat, removed the window tint that I asked, provided a brand new second key. Oh, they discounted the car by $1400. That funded a portion of having the Solution installed.

Then there was the the pick up experience. I went over to pick up the car at the dealer. There was a Porsche event at the dealer. My 2003 Porsche 996 was parked in the middle of the showroom. People were looking at it and pointing to it. I signed the paperwork, was handed the keys and started the car in the showroom. They opened the doors and I drove out. That was priceless. I was treated like I was picking up a brand new Porsche.

Here is my car in the middle of the showroom

Old 03-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Originally Posted by steam_mill
I bought mine in the fall at a Porsche dealer. I walked in, took it for a test drive. I came back, made 2 offers with a $500 deposit. One offer was with service records, other offer was with service records. All offers were conditional on ppi.

Once I looked over the service records and confirmed I was interested, they took the car to a specialty shop I chose for a Ppi. Car came back with inoperational power seat and leaky rms. Estimate for RMS was $1400. They fixed the seat, removed the window tint that I asked, provided a brand new second key. Oh, they discounted the car by $1400. That funded a portion of having the Solution installed.

Then there was the the pick up experience. I went over to pick up the car at the dealer. There was a Porsche event at the dealer. My 2003 Porsche 996 was parked in the middle of the showroom. People were looking at it and pointing to it. I signed the paperwork, was handed the keys and started the car in the showroom. They opened the doors and I drove out. That was priceless. I was treated like I was picking up a brand new Porsche.
Fantastic story. I bought mine with no PPI Shhhhh, don't tell people on here they will think I am stupid
Old 03-18-2019, 06:46 PM
hartmn
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

+1 Most dealship wont touch a used vehicle unless it has certain history or condition that they are comfortable with to resell. I’m surprised that they would even have a 1999. That being said, I believe they won’t give you previous owner service records or name for liability reasons. For me and my little red wagon I would be comfortable purchasing from a Porsche dealership. I would think they wouldn’t want to sell you a pile of junk and have all the problems like a lawsuit to nasty Yelp reviews. There is 2004 or 2005 anniversary edition at my dealership now with 43,000 miles on it I would buy if I had the coins.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:49 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 150 Likes on 123 Posts

Horespwr
Looking at potential car to buy, when I walk up to it...I get a "feeling" about it..(It talks to me) Some say ugh right away, some say maybe, then if they get past that stage, its a 20 minute "rest ride"
That is the start...then from there.....price....then....
Old 03-19-2019, 02:08 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
Fantastic story. I bought mine with no PPI Shhhhh, don't tell people on here they will think I am stupid
I bought mine site unseen and with a blown motor! One of the best roll of the dice ever!!

Quick Reply: Buying from Porsche dealership