Sponsored by:

Today on Copart... I found

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 AM
Claydus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Today on Copart... I found

When there isn't much going with craigslist auto searches.... I find myself looking at auto auction yards. Watched the Samcrac 911 restoration recently and I have an itch to buy a salvaged car. Please talk me out of it.

2002 C2 with 85k miles... current bid is $7,300 but hasn't met the reserve.
Minor fender bender. Listed as AUTO but you can clearly see this is a MANUAL
https://www.copart.com/lot/23251958

2004 C2 with 14k miles... current bid is $4,150 but hasn't met reserve
Car looks brand freaking new inside.... needs fender, fender liner, passenger headlight, rear bumper and possibly tail lights
https://www.copart.com/lot/29253959

Last edited by Claydus; 03-13-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 158 Posts
Default If I had a roller, here's where i'd look for Engine , etc.

Not sure of reserve, but it can't be much higher than 7,500. with that you could get a 14K engine and sell the rest you didn't want.

The interior looks perfect, deviating carpet option.

Or if you want a daily driver, this would be cool, Salvage title is a tough resale.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Neto
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Be very careful with these cars with salvage titles. You will end up paying a lot to repair them and monthly insurance costs will be much higher for a salvage 911. Also, resell value even after you repair it will be at least 30-40% less than one with a clean title.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:16 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 126 Posts

IF, yu do buy a car with a SALVAGE or REBUILT title, it can be VERY hard to resell...BUT keep a well documented history and tons of photos before during and after...
and if it comes out looking super good, and you don't expect top dollar, it could be a very good deal if you keep it a few years....
Old 03-13-2019, 02:18 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

I've had that itch a lot of times as well; there is a copart lot about 1.5 miles from my house and I've been there looking at motorcycles before. After watching videos like samcracc's and richrebuild's etc its mighty tempting to jump into one of these projects...

I decided against it for lots of practical reasons for the kind of car I was looking at buying (not porsche but daily for my wife) plus I have limited garage and space resources, time and she didn't like the kind of car I was looking at buying/fixing.

I've sold salvage cars before, they are a little more tricky to sell but not too bad. Just make sure you photo document everything along the way and stuff you repaired so you can show the potential buyer, seeing how minimal the damage is on one of these things puts a lot of minds at ease.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:36 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 643 Posts

Ok. So you could get a 14,000 mile 3.6 M96 engine for $7500 or so? Dang! At that price point does resale even really matter?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
Ok. So you could get a 14,000 mile 3.6 M96 engine for $7500 or so? Dang! At that price point does resale even really matter?
I don't think the sales price is $7500.00, not to mention it's bent!
Has no one noticed the damage on the passenger side of the silver car? You'll quickly be upside down before you know it...
Old 03-13-2019, 08:11 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Has no one noticed the damage on the passenger side of the silver car? You'll quickly be upside down before you know it...
Yeah, and this silver one is a resale that was sold at auction a couple of weeks ago....my guess is the reserve is much much higher so they either get their money back or even try to make some by flipping. It will be fun to watch however.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:11 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I get that. Figuratively speaking ref. post #2. Also only talking about getting the roller for it’s engine.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:33 PM
motoo344
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 329 Posts

If you can wrench it makes life a lot easier. I've rebuilt a car and it wasn't too bad sourcing used parts, wasn't perfect but it wasn't bad. I've had a few rebuilt titled cars and while some insurance companies wont insure them the ones I have had insure me cost no more to insure than a normal car.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:33 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

I get that. Figuratively speaking ref. post #2. Also only talking about getting the roller for it’s engine.
Since this is a third party and not an insurance company, what makes you sure the engine has not been swapped out? just saying....
Old 03-14-2019, 09:29 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Low mileage on these engines is irrelevant and arguably could be a detriment. Since the old-school thinking was performing maintenance based on miles and not time, think about how few oil changes have been performed over the years and how long that engine has steeped in contaminated oil.

If someone buys it, they have to decide if they are prepared to put $10K or more into the engine if necessary, or if they will be the person trying to figure out whether to sell it as a roller or part it out after the engine "inexplicably" blows up at 16K miles.

Having bought a 996 with engine issues, the minimum I would do if I bought this car is send it through the Flat6 IMSB prequalification checklist performed by a competent shop--that doesn't guaranty the engine is not going to blow up, but at least it would catch some of the possible problems that could cause engine failure.

All of that said, a $5K coupe with 6MT with a usable engine core would be a nice starting point for a track car. Personally, I wouldn't pay $10K or more for any salvage non-turbo.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
Yeah, and this silver one is a resale that was sold at auction a couple of weeks ago....my guess is the reserve is much much higher so they either get their money back or even try to make some by flipping. It will be fun to watch however.
I would be very leery of a non insurance company resale. I would have to lay eyes on it. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the engine and transmission were swapped out with worn out units from another car. The crooks run it back through the auction and you get stuck with the "as is" car, with no way to prove what they did.

I thought of this after watching a YouTube video where a YouTuber bought a Corvette at auction that ended up having an iron truck engine in it.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
I would be very leery of a non insurance company resale. I would have to lay eyes on it. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the engine and transmission were swapped out with worn out units from another car. The crooks run it back through the auction and you get stuck with the "as is" car, with no way to prove what they did.

I thought of this after watching a YouTube video where a YouTuber bought a Corvette at auction that ended up having an iron truck engine in it.
Ditto that one. I've seen a bunch of that stuff on various youtube channels--there was a non-flood car with the audio amp that was from a flooded car, Teslas with batteries removed, etc. Plus the second buyer tidies stuff up so it looks better than it really is. Samcrac did at least one video on these tricks.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:20 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

I have rebuilt several salvaged cars from the insurance auto auction (IAAI). ...1999 Mercedes SL600, 2005 Range Rover, 2003 BMW 330I, 2004 BMW 330I, and two 1999 Porsche Carrera 2s.
If you can do most of the work yourself, they can be a tremendous bargain and a fun project for you and your family. They are not a problem to insure or register. The only issue you will find is you can not finance them. I took hundreds of pictures of my rebuilds. The two Porsches that I rebuilt, I documented here. You will find this forum to be an invaluable tool for information and parts.
My biggest problem with resale was parting with them. I still own one of the Porsches and the Rover. My son kept one of the BMWs throughout college. When I sold the other salvaged cars, I fully disclosed the repairs that were necessary to rebuild the cars. I priced them attractively......about 10 to 20 percent less than a clear titled car. I never had a problem selling them.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/386106-burnt-996-rebuild.html

Last edited by Mfletch; 03-15-2019 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Today on Copart... I found